HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
the residents of lakwood balmoral sealed their fate when they gave us the strip mall on the west side of broadway
Is there a story behind that?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ How would you know that the owner is letting leases lapse as opposed to simply being unable to find new tenants?
You're right, I don't. I haven't seen any "for lease" signs in the windows, though, and it's really a lot of open spaces. I recall seeing a sign in the door of one of the closed stores at one point saying something about their lease not having been renewed, but that was a while ago and I can't remember the details now (and might be totally wrong).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 10:45 PM

Those lots are prime for redevelopment. Close to the Redline, Broadway and Sheridan buses, Foster Beach, Marianos and Jewel, and restaurants of Andersonville. If I had the money, I would buy the properties and redevelop them once the leases ran out.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 2:09 AM

This is great for that area, that area is hemmed in so getting something you have to drive to is no big deal. Bringing more jobs to the area is very good. The residential in that area needs to fill in denser east of Ashland

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 4:10 PM

New construction building permit was issued for 2420 W Grand Ave (near Western). Plans are for a new 4 story, 28 unit building with ground floor retail and a 29 car garage with 12 more spaces outside.

This is formerly Sachs Auto Sales, which hasn't existed in over 5 years. It's been a single story building and a field of weeds since. There were other plans for the parcel on Western awhile ago, but not sure what is going on with that. Architect is Axios Architects.

Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...!4d-87.6876834

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:36 PM

Not sure if it was posted here already, but new to me. Saw this on Madison yesterday, at Carpenter. Going by the name Madison + Carpenter. 4/5 BR condos at 1.75m to 3.5m—sales info at the domain sixnorthcarpenter.com. Would have expected a development like this on perhaps a quieter corner.

From the sales site:

Last edited by jc5680; Apr 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 9:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wisconsin firm planning big Medical District project

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...strict-project

Currently a vacant lot, so I guess that's something positive. Of course, this area just continues to be built pretty suburban.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...!4d-87.6716097
The rendering is a weird angle; this is the back of the site, from the corner of Wolcott/13th. The front of the building is definitely facing Wood St and looks like it might have a proper urban front door, but that's not shown here. I think the site plan is about as good as it could be, given the demand for some convenient at-grade parking (I assume for visitors). The developers are actually playing up "transit oriented" aspect but in reality the Polk CTA stop is too far away and nobody wants to cross Roosevelt on foot. CTA has talked about a new station at Roosevelt in the past, but I don't see that happening ever.

I also posted a few weeks ago Chicago Lighthouse's plan to build a midrise assisted living tower at Wood/Roosevelt, so they are actually filling in part of their "suburban" parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I also posted a few weeks ago Chicago Lighthouse's plan to build a midrise assisted living tower at Wood/Roosevelt, so they are actually filling in part of their "suburban" parking lot.
It's good to see these fill up. I posted a few weeks ago about Roosevelt Square phase 3 from Related Midwest. Was kind of surprised to see nobody talk about it. On the other side of Addams Medill Park on Roosevelt, 2 new buildings on vacant lots - 6 stories and 70 units each. Pretty close to the IMD in general.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Not sure if it was posted here already, but new to me. Saw this on Madison yesterday, at Carpenter. Going by the name Madison + Carpenter. 4/5 BR condos at 1.75m to 3.5m—sales info at the domain sixnorthcarpenter.com. Would have expected a development like this on perhaps a quieter corner.
Even though this looks kind of 'imitation' International Style, I like it. The mass is nicely broken up and it's a good mix of materials that strikes a good balance between the appearance of delicacy and that of strength.

To me, it's a good example of how big, academic ideas eventually trickle out into the larger local culture, forming a vernacular (the length of time they stick around serving as a testament to the value of the idea). Like how terra cotta companies in the early 20th C imitated Sullivan's ornament and it ended up on numerous quotidian commercial buildings throughout the city.

I don't know what's with that superfluous "halo" on the top, though; is this the Modern equivalent of the gable end with no roof behind it?

I also noticed the price point vis-à-vis the location -- seemingly a loud corner for $1.75MM and up. (I guess the floor plan is so large you can escape into its depths for some quiet time?) Heady times in the West Loop...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Even though this looks kind of 'imitation' International Style, I like it. The mass is nicely broken up and it's a good mix of materials that strikes a good balance between the appearance of delicacy and that of strength.

To me, it's a good example of how big, academic ideas eventually trickle out into the larger local culture, forming a vernacular (the length of time they stick around serving as a testament to the value of the idea). Like how terra cotta companies in the early 20th C imitated Sullivan's ornament and it ended up on numerous quotidian commercial buildings throughout the city.

I don't know what's with that superfluous "halo" on the top, though; is this the Modern equivalent of the gable end with no roof behind it?

I also noticed the price point vis-à-vis the location -- seemingly a loud corner for $1.75MM and up. (I guess the floor plan is so large you can escape into its depths for some quiet time?) Heady times in the West Loop...
if the MLS is to be believed, 5 of the 13 are under contract with at least one of them at $3 million

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

UC is gearing up for two big projects on campus:

1. UC Medicine is planning a massive 600,000 gsf Cancer hospital in two phases (or maybe all of it will be built at once but only 50% of the interior space will be built out at first...? Not final information yet). I think it's for the massive NW lot on 57th and Drexel, but not yet confirmed.

2. I believe some others have mentioned the new PME building before, but it will be located at the SW corner of 56th and Ellis, and is planned to be about 15% larger than the newish Eckhardt building directly south of the site. Project will be complete by 2026.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:59 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
UC is gearing up for two big projects on campus:

1. UC Medicine is planning a massive 600,000 gsf Cancer hospital in two phases (or maybe all of it will be built at once but only 50% of the interior space will be built out at first...? Not final information yet). I think it's for the massive NW lot on 57th and Drexel, but not yet confirmed.

2. I believe some others have mentioned the new PME building before, but it will be located at the SW corner of 56th and Ellis, and is planned to be about 15% larger than the newish Eckhardt building directly south of the site. Project will be complete by 2026.
goodbye Accelerator, you will be missed.

there go the views from ERC .

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's good to see these fill up. I posted a few weeks ago about Roosevelt Square phase 3 from Related Midwest. Was kind of surprised to see nobody talk about it. On the other side of Addams Medill Park on Roosevelt, 2 new buildings on vacant lots - 6 stories and 70 units each. Pretty close to the IMD in general.
I was at the community meeting for the Roosevelt Sq project since I live nearby, it also includes the buildout of the Public Housing Museum on Taylor and a mixed-use building at Taylor/Racine.

Exciting, but the overall progress on Roosevelt Square and the other CHA lands (Cabrini, Robert Taylor, Prairie Shores) has been embarrassing.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I was at the community meeting for the Roosevelt Sq project since I live nearby, it also includes the buildout of the Public Housing Museum on Taylor and a mixed-use building at Taylor/Racine.

Exciting, but the overall progress on Roosevelt Square and the other CHA lands (Cabrini, Robert Taylor, Prairie Shores) has been embarrassing.
Yup. Posted all that a few weeks back. I read some people were worried about their property values..?

Yeah, it has been slow. I think they said they wanted to complete phase 3 in 2023 right? When is this supposed to start then?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:34 PM
TL;DR

Yeah Little Italy residents are really awful. God forbid they have to share the neighborhood with some lower-income families. I can't believe they'd rather have a vacant lot. Fortunately Ald. Ervin doesn't really give a crap about their NIMBY complaints. He might be sensitive to parking complaints but I doubt he will downsize the buildings. Can't believe I'm saying this but thank god for our gerrymandered ward map. If there was a white alderman representing the Near West Side it would be a NIMBY paradise like Norwood Park or something.

Any phasing for Roosevelt Square is basically a joke. Related keeps tweaking the income mix but per their agreement with CHA, they can't build enough market-rate units to actually be profitable. So they have to rely on a trickle of LIHTC tax credits to build everything, and those credits are highly competitive every year.

What I don't get is why Related claims they can't make market-rate townhouses pencil out in Little Italy, when the market for SFH and townhomes is the hottest we've seen in decades (condos not so much). Seems like you could literally print money with those.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:35 PM

Quote:

Honestly though, the build-out proposed for the Roosevelt Square area is FAR superior to what they were doing pre-recession. Those single family homes and two flats already look horribly aged and are strikingly low density.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:50 PM
TL;DR

I would have liked to see denser development in Roosevelt Square Phase I, given how close it is to downtown, but I don't mind the fine-grained scale of the early 2000s stuff. The design is a little cringey but it hits all the right points of a traditional Chicago neighborhood block (porches/stoops, parking off alleys, fenced yards, narrow lots, etc).

It could have been so much worse; HOPE VI developments in other cities are really really bad imitations of neighborhood vernacular. Roosevelt Square is merely mediocre. The buildings are all masonry too so I think they've aged pretty well, they just need a spitshine after almost 20 years of Chicago winters.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:

Hearing NIMBYs complain at CHA meetings is probably one of the most toxic cesspools you could imagine at a meeting

To answer your question about why progress on developing the sites has been slow, CHA the past couple of years has been shifting towards having the private sector play a major role in redeveloping the sites. CHA could get more public funds to redevelop the sites themselves, but the CHA doesn't want to take that risk after what happened with the Great Recession.

That's why Related has been heavily involved with Lathrop Homes & Roosevelt Square, Harold Ickes is being built by Mccaffrey, and the current Cabrini Green phase being developed by a Texas developer. So redeveloping the remaining CHA sites isn't going to happen anytime soon unless there is interest from the private sector. This of course means that the former Robert Taylor and Ida B. Wells homes are gonna remain vacant for a long while

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:36 PM
Urban Living

Sorry...wait, what??

"Public housing museum"...

What the hell...?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Sorry...wait, what??

"Public housing museum"...

What the hell...?
It actually exists in River North. It would move to Taylor St once that's completed:

https://www.nphm.org

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development