HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:28 PM

Still a long way to go...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:29 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:21 PM

They seem to be taking their sweet time getting this finished.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:40 AM

What a shame all that beautiful rock gone

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:38 AM

New Highway 102/103 ramp and overpass will open on Monday

The new and improved Highway 102/103 interchange will open on Thanksgiving.

As of sunrise on Monday, Oct. 14, drivers heading east on the 103 or north on the 102 will be using the new ramp and overpass.

Message boards will be along the affected routes to let people know about the change. Traffic control signs, cones and barriers will also be in place.

Construction work began last spring to replace the existing interchange, which was constructed in 1963.

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-ne...ujAnQ2bkeRG1ec

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 10:09 AM

This is happy news, not least because during construction it has been sometimes nerve wracking negotiating through there. What makes me happiest though is to see that this stretch of roadway will finally be lit. Travelling through there on a dark night, especially in fog or heavy rain, has long been a death-defying drive. This will leave the 107-118 interchange as undisputed champ in the list of darkest, deadliest merges in metro.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 11:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
This is happy news, not least because during construction it has been sometimes nerve wracking negotiating through there. What makes me happiest though is to see that this stretch of roadway will finally be lit. Travelling through there on a dark night, especially in fog or heavy rain, has long been a death-defying drive. This will leave the 107-118 interchange as undisputed champ in the list of darkest, deadliest merges in metro.
I was coming back from a weekend on the South shore and almost plowed myself into a ditch on a foggy night. Lack of light, and the way those paints get so hard to see in the rain made that whole area awful.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
There are no changes for motorists travelling in other directions at this time. In late November, the existing Highway 103 overpass will be demolished. This will involve a 48-hour continuous weekend closure of Highway 102 with detours.

The full Highway 102/103 interchange project is on track to be complete in December 2019.

Quick Facts:
construction began in spring 2018
the existing interchange was constructed in 1963
the interchange experiences average annual daily traffic of about 30,000 vehicles per day on Highway 103 and 55,000 vehicles per day on Highway 102
the new structure has been designed to last over 75 years
https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20191011003

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 5:15 PM

I will have to get up early Monday morning to tune into the traffic bedlam that will undoubtedly occur.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I will have to get up early Monday morning to tune into the traffic bedlam that will undoubtedly occur.
Should be pretty quiet.....being Thanksgiving!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Should be pretty quiet.....being Thanksgiving!
Slept right through that vital point.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:23 PM

Drove by there today. No mayhem but still very much a construction site.

Was happy to see that the northbound entrance ramp to the 102 has been lengthened, so a big improvement there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:27 AM

No signs of our friend Keith pulled over on the side of the road trying to figure out which lane to take or wondering what each sign says? Not sure Keith should be driving with his adversity to round abouts traffic circles and new and improved roads/ramps. LOL

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
No signs of our friend Keith pulled over on the side of the road trying to figure out which lane to take or wondering what each sign says? Not sure Keith should be driving with his adversity to round abouts traffic circles and new and improved roads/ramps. LOL
Funny, I never have incidents on the roads but lots of others seem to, maybe that's you. The Uteck roundabouts are a daily disaster, a monument to poor traffic engineering and roadway design.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The Uteck roundabouts are a daily disaster, a monument to poor traffic engineering and roadway design.
Indeed the proliferation of roundabouts on Larry Uteck is most peculiar (and unnecessary).

There's a multilane "dogbone" roundabout in Moncton, at the Dieppe/Harrisville Interchange with Highway 11/15, which actually works surprisingly well but, as always, multilane roundabouts work best for natives who inherently know which lane to be in. Itinerants will always have more difficulty, which is why the three-roundabouts-in-a-row on Larry Uteck is such a pain in the ass.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Funny, I never have incidents on the roads but lots of others seem to, maybe that's you. The Uteck roundabouts are a daily disaster, a monument to poor traffic engineering and roadway design.
Not me. I live in Palm Beach Gardens FL I used to live on Larry Utect and never had a problem with the round abouts.

All in good fun - I enjoy your posts

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed the proliferation of roundabouts on Larry Uteck is most peculiar (and unnecessary).

There's a multilane "dogbone" roundabout in Moncton, at the Dieppe/Harrisville Interchange with Highway 11/15, which actually works surprisingly well but, as always, multilane roundabouts work best for natives who inherently know which lane to be in. Itinerants will always have more difficulty, which is why the three-roundabouts-in-a-row on Larry Uteck is such a pain in the ass.
I have to agree with that. Even the locals don't seem to know how to handle the multi-lane roundabouts, yet try to traverse them as quickly as possible. I've noticed that the Uteck series of roundabouts are being handled more quickly and haphazardly with each passing year. Witnessed a near pedestrian fatality on Friday night when somebody in the left lane stopped for a pedestrian, while somebody in a small SUV was just about to blast by them on the right - luckily the pedestrian saw them and stopped just as the driver slammed on the brakes - it could have been bad. Have witnessed other creative uses of the lanes, not to mention those that don't seem to understand that a car in the circle has the right of way, among other things.

Those particular roundabouts are just a bad design, though. They are too tight, too numerous in succession, and 2 lanes in a small roundabout is just too difficult to get everybody to understand quickly as to what they are supposed to do. I feel that I have masted roundabouts in general, and typically do not hesitate to tackle the Uteck ones, but found myself yesterday taking a different route to avoid them, because they just aren't worth the hassle. Most people who use them seem to think they have somehow graduated to the skill level of Emerson Fittipaldi, but I have to tell them... they have not - they need to slow down at least to the point that their tires aren't starting to lose grip...

Honestly, I found the ones that are designed well, like the downtown circles near the armories seem to work pretty well. Roundabouts in general do suffer from one inherent design deficiency though, and that is that in rush-hour situations, the busy roads feed constantly into the circles, creating a situation where one route only gets traffic priority (constantly occupies the circle) and thus all other routes that feed into the circle, after the busy entrance, get backed up because there is nothing breaking the flow of traffic for subsequent lanes to feed into. Experienced it coming from Chebucto Road into the Armdale roundabout in rush hour a couple of weeks ago. All the traffic from Quinpool fed into the circle, jamming it up for anyone else to get in, thus the backup on Chebucto - eventually, you feed into it and then have to look for a gap and gun it to get into the circle - either that or sit there until rush hour is done...

Rant over... the new ramp should be an improvement when it's actually finished, and the lighting will be a godsend...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:19 PM

I have no problem with roundabouts. I think they work very well. I love the ones next to the Common. They work fantastic!

Last edited by Haliguy; Oct 15, 2019 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I have no problem with roundabouts. I think they work very well. I love the ones next to the Common. They work fantastic!
Well designed roundabouts work very well, especially when locals get used to them. There is a five point single lane roundabout in north central Moncton that Killam and Collishaw feed into (as well as Russ Howard and Purdy) which is infinitely more efficient than the (former) signalized intersection.

Not all roundabouts are well designed though, and I include the morass at Larry Uteck in that category.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure