HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

View Poll Results: How often do you go downtown?
Live downtown 4 10.53%
Work downtown (Specify how often if you wish) 12 31.58%
Live and work downtown 3 7.89%
Once or more per week 17 44.74%
Less than once per week but once or more per month 2 5.26%
Less than once per month but once or more per year 3 7.89%
Less than once per year 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 5:56 PM
積屍氣冥界波

How often do you go downtown?

How often do you go downtown now (Halifax or Dartmouth), or used to go when you were living in the city?

Me:
Now: Work downtown.
Before that: Less than once a week but more than once a month for dim sum.
Before that: Downtown was a mysterious place!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 5:59 PM
we built this city

Used to be almost every day. Used to work downtown at various points, but mostly just visting friends that live downtown or getting food.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 7:27 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Now I try to get downtown at the very least, once a week as I've got friends who live there, for visiting or food or both!. Before I would go maybe once every couple of weeks.. and like SMH said, before before that downtown was a vast and far away land barely known to me living in Woodlawn. lol

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 9:04 PM

Live North North, work downtown. Aside from work lunches, eat downtown about once a month, drink downtown about once every two months, eat in Dartmouth about once every three months, drink in Dartmouth never. Shop downtown about once a month: food, clothing or gifts. Mostly shop in hardware stores or on the internet these days.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 9:09 PM

I live in the North End but work downtown Mon-Fri.

I probably go Downtown for food/drink 1-2 times per week. I never go to Downtown Dartmouth...but I am overdue for a visit to TIBS and Celtic Corner.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 9:37 PM
BUILD!

Live in Park Vic, and I go downtown once or twice a week for food/drinks.

Downtown these days is great for people in my age group (18-25), but we really need a classy club downtown. Toothy Moose is fun on Friday nights (country night) and you don't even need to like country music to have a good time there then.

The food options are good for those with some money, but there are still some alright options for those on a budget (Pizza Delight, Boston Pizza, etc).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 PM

I'm currently living in BC, but while I was living in Halifax I'd be downtown almost every day and/or night. Several of my close friends live along Barrington (around B/Sackville) and I lived at Brunswick and Cogswell for about a year.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
積屍氣冥界波

The results so far are not too surprising given this is a skyscraper forum. Good job!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
The results so far are not too surprising given this is a skyscraper forum. Good job!
I mostly go downtown because it's where a lot of my friends live and there are great food options and some sort of event that appeals to me pretty much every night - live music, comedy, sporting events, djs, etc. The CBD atmosphere does add a lot to the experience though. Downtown Halifax would probably lose a lot of its charm if it weren't for the steep streets, heritage architecture, mid-20th grit and bright shiny towers like 1801.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 6:18 AM

Whenever I am visiting Halifax - as much as I can.
When I lived there, I grew up in Fairview but loved going downtown. When I lived downtown at 1881 Brunswick, you couldn't tear me away from downtown. I actually hated going to the suburbs to see my mom, because it was so stark and boring!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 2:11 PM

I went to school on Spring Garden. Before that I went to QEH and Citadel, which I wouldn't personally consider downtown, but we'd often run to Spring Garden or Scotia Square for lunch.

In Hong Kong, I live in Tsim Sha Tsui, which probably counts as "downtown." I'd kinda prefer to live somewhere else in the city actually, since most of the establishments here are geared toward tourists.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 2:31 PM
積屍氣冥界波

I used to go to downtown Halifax for all my dim sum, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese food, but Dartmouth has all of them now, although not in downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I went to school on Spring Garden. Before that I went to QEH and Citadel, which I wouldn't personally consider downtown, but we'd often run to Spring Garden or Scotia Square for lunch.

In Hong Kong, I live in Tsim Sha Tsui, which probably counts as "downtown." I'd kinda prefer to live somewhere else in the city actually, since most of the establishments here are geared toward tourists.
I consider Central to be downtown Halifax and Tsim Sha Tsui to be downtown Dartmouth since all the bank towers are located in Central.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 6:34 AM
Volatile Pacivist

This summer I've kind of gotten addicted to downtown and been going recreationally several times per week. There have been times in the past when I went for months on end without ever going downtown with the closest passing would be north street going across town.

I've been going downtown a lot more mainly because of the library and all the new construction. And I've been making a habit of patronizing stores in town whenever possible and avoiding suburban locations even if it means inconveniencing myself. I'm just feeling a certain excitement like downtown is gaining momentum on a positive trajectory like never before. There's still lots of work to be done and stuff I find annoying, but it feels like maybe I won't be swallowing down my malcontent for eternity.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 7:01 AM

When I lived in Halifax I was in the south end so shopped for groceries at least twice a week at Pete's, did all my business on SGR. It the weather was good I used to walk downtown past all the construction every week or two but there was very little reason to do Barrington or Scotia Sq.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 7:03 AM
Volatile Pacivist

You know I've never been in Pete's before. Is it the same as a regular grocery store like Sobeys?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
You know I've never been in Pete's before. Is it the same as a regular grocery store like Sobeys?
I assume you are asking me.
Pete's has a reputation of being upscale. Their produce is the very best you will find in Halifax and certainly much better in quality than Whole Foods Orlando. The prices are lower than Sobeys and they last much longer. I know because living in the south end I also shopped Sobeys frequently for some things.
Meats are affordable especially if you shop the specials, otherwise can be a little pricey. They will also order free range turkeys and I frequently reserved or bought meats for special occasions. On a day to day basis I would buy cheap pork, etc at Sobeys.
You can find just about anything else you want at Pete's, and again if you watch the specials you can get some very good deals.
You can also find people ready to help you at Pete's and always with a very happy attitude and a smile. If they do not know the answer they find out the answer immediately.
Check out is frequently busy but always very efficient and friendly.
I used to shop Wild Oats in Fort Lauderdale years ago and also Whole Foods less frequently but Pete's is superior to both.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
You can find just about anything else you want at Pete's, and again if you watch the specials you can get some very good deals.

Pete's is good but keep in mind that they do not carry many of the items you would find in a mainstream supermarket.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Pete's is good but keep in mind that they do not carry many of the items you would find in a mainstream supermarket.
Yes, as I said in my post, I used to shop Sobeys as well for stuff, especially cleaning supplies.

Sobeys does not carry all the items that you can get in Pete's, but sure preferred fresh produce.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:34 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Hmm, well I'll definitely make a point of checking it out this week. That really piques my interest.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Hmm, well I'll definitely make a point of checking it out this week. That really piques my interest.
You owe it to yourself to do this. You won't be sorry.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General