HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:51 AM

Parade and festivals - how to attract more to downtown

I'm not sure if I should be starting a new thread for this, but what the hell. Having Stampede on here in Calgary, got me thinking about some of the joys of living in downtown Calgary.

Now don't get me wrong - we're not like Montreal or Toronto with a bustling downtown at night. In non-stampede times and outside of any festivals - downtown dies at 6pm and is dead on weekends. The only traffic is to cut through downtown - not stop in it.

But with Stampede week on; it got me thinking about what keeps me living here in downtown and what could help HRM's downtown attract more people, if more towers get built (big if there).

When I first moved to Calgary - I completely forgot about stampede. I only knew it was going on when I woke up; heard all this noise outside my balcony, got up (in my house coat) and came out to find thousands lining 6 ave SE for the parade. I ran indoors and changed quickly and invited people over. I now do an annual stampede parade viewing party; with a breakfast - my balcony spans my entire unit, so I've managed to get about 20 people on it (the record so far).

Parades and festivals help bring people to downtown and inspire them to do other things in the core..

So I wanted some people's help about parades and thoughts about things like this as something to pitch to interested councillors as HRM grows more, especially with more downtown residential development.

Now I know there is a Natal day parade, a parade for the tattoo and one for gay pride - are there any others? Perhaps a parade for the multi-cultural festival or is there already one?

I know there is a lot of festivals, the jazz fest, buskers, multicultural and even some festival style events for tattoo - but do any of these festivals, parades or events do extra things like say public breakfasts or lunches? One of the things I love for stampede week is the free breakfasts all over downtown. I don't have to worry about making anything! I can get up, go get my coffee, walk into work and then around 9 line up somewhere for a free pancake with a slice of bacon. In fact, today was the City of Calgary City Hall Cafeteria stampede breakfast - it was actually quite good. Most city departments and big corporations put on a breakfast too (I know planning had one on Monday - it was okay; although the sausages caused me some 'issues').

So if we've talked about how doing something like Calgary's Zoo lights in winter at the public gardens could attract people downtown in the winter; beyond building more condo units - how do we get them downtown in the summer?

Are there any festivals where organizations could sponsor free breakfasts (which are often cheaper than a lunch) or even an outdoor bbq?

I can think of a number of groups that could easily do it: HRM, WTCC, Scotia Bank, CIBC, TD Bank - all the banks do stuff for stampede. I don't know how expensive it would be; but you could also promote stuff going on at the stampede either by putting an entry into the parade or a booth on the grounds? Gay pride typically has a big gathering, as do the concerts - but I'm thinking more in terms of week long events that could take place during the day for office workers around the lunchhour or even during the morning (since the tourists would come for these events too). Even the Province could do something; since they had Premier Steady Eddy flipping pancakes down at one of the government buildings the other day. The Mayor, council - even the big directors of various HRM departments could be involved (in an HRM event).

Certainly something to think about - because you can build all the condos and bring people to live downtown; but activities like these truely make a downtown a great place to be.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 12:45 PM

HRM needs to shut down SGR from South Park to Queen Street maybe 3-4 times a summer for street festivals.

There doesn't have to be a special occasion.

Maybe you could have one dedicated to promoting all of the different restaurants in the area. Each restaurant could set up free sample stations and they could turn the street into separate sections of outside restaurants.

They need to get creative. SGR should be a pedestrian street anyways, I'd love to see them do something like this.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 11:04 PM

I was also thinking about something like a festival of lights - like Vancouver or Calgary.

Calgary calls it Globe Fest and it's the 3rd week of August. It's a competition (I think?) and 5 different presentations of fireworks occur.

Here is a link about the one in Vancouver:
Vancouver festival.

This could really bring people downtown.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I was also thinking about something like a festival of lights - like Vancouver or Calgary.

Calgary calls it Globe Fest and it's the 3rd week of August. It's a competition (I think?) and 5 different presentations of fireworks occur.

Here is a link about the one in Vancouver:
Vancouver festival.

This could really bring people downtown.
They had something like this years ago - I think it was called the Alexander Keith's Festival of Lights. I think it may have lasted a few years.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
They had something like this years ago - I think it was called the Alexander Keith's Festival of Lights. I think it may have lasted a few years.
One of the things that I think is causing festivals to fold and suffer in Nova Scotia (and it's starting out here in Alberta too) is lack of people volunteering. Let's face it; these things don't organize themselves and there is a lot of volunteer time put into them - especially to secure sponsors.

That being said; I think a festival like this would be worth of few hours a week getting out to organize and I'm sure there would be lots of groups willing to sponsor. Considering Bell Aliant is getting trash talked in the media for job cuts; you could probably easily get them to sponsor; that or Telus or Rogers. Heck, get one of the new mobile companies to sponsor it. Or Westjet; they sponsor many activities and often throw the event into their inflight magazine!

I'd also add that it would be worth organizing a Christmas type festival (beyond the parade of lights) with the Public Gardens. I've said it before and I'll repeat it again, Calgary's zoo lights is an amazing event and a similar festival in the Public Gardens (with people singing Christmas songs; santa for the kids and hot chocolate/cider) would be fantastic! You wouldn't need a skating rink or anything like that, but put up lights all over the park - you could even open only a small section and build it up as you go.

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Jul 21, 2010 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 9:45 AM

Pride parade getting bigger and bigger...

Pride parade bigger, bolder than ever
Participants celebrate growth of annual event
By BILL POWER Staff Reporter
Sun, Jul 25 - 4:53 AM

Halifax Pride co-organizer Ed Savage remembered his first gay parade Saturday as about 160 different groups marshalled on the waterfront in preparation for a celebration of sexual diversity.

A decade ago "we wove through all the backstreets of Halifax. Now we go through the front door," the co-organizer said in an interview as the massive line of sequins, big hair, satin gowns and blaring music rumbled to life toward the big show on Barrington Street and Spring Garden Road.

It took more than 50 minutes for the colourfully costumed crowd to move through the navy dockyard gates and make its way up to the central business district where sidewalks were thickly lined with supporters, many of them cheering and some dancing.

Pride festival co-organizer Liz McQuaid said it was difficult to estimate the size of the crowd lined up to take in the 23rd edition of the annual event.

"Last year we attracted between 40,000 and 60,000 observers. The pride parade in Halifax is almost as big as the one in Montreal and considering the size of our city . . . this is pretty fantastic," she said.

There was some debate among participants and observers about the possibility that the pride parade was overtaking the Natal Day event, traditionally the city’s largest celebration. Everybody agreed the pride event that brought a weeklong celebration of diversity to a raucous climax is a heck of a lot of fun.

Thousands of observers followed the dazzling display of glitz and good humour up South Park Street and toward the Garrison Grounds. The sunny afternoon party seemed to just keep getting bigger and louder.

A huge number of fans gathering for the Halifax Rocks event on the Halifax Commons added to the massive gathering of people that brought traffic in the business district to a standstill.

"Everybody is here to show their respect and admiration for the gay community," said Mike Schmid, owner of Reflections Cabaret, a popular downtown dance bar.

"The first parade I was in about 10 years ago was about a third the size of this one."

Halifax MP Megan Leslie and a group of young women were all decked out in roller blades and costumes in the style that actress Ellen Page displayed in her hit film Whip It.

"Today, it’s a wonderful celebration but we want people to remember it comes from protest. We want people who are gay, lesbian and transgender to know they are safe in our community," she said.

To suggest the pride parade is good for downtown restaurants and bars would be an understatement.

"Our patio has been packed since morning. I wish there was some way we could double-deck it," said business owner Helen Davenport as costumed super-heroes entertained the crowd outside Gatsby’s Pub and Eatery on Spring Garden Road.

"It’s entertaining and it’s educational," said one observer who did not want to give his name.

There was a post-parade concert at the Garrison Grounds festival site and a week of Halifax Pride events will conclude today with a family picnic at the Dartmouth Common at 1 p.m.

( bpower@herald.ca)
From the Sunday Chronicle Herald.

I should say; I saw some of the pictures friends and even Councillor Sloane's pictures of the parade and I was amazed at just how many new floats there were from when I marched in the parade.

I remember when I was 17, I stood in the crowds and when a camera came I would hide. Then as I got older; I marched with the GLB youth project and then with friends. Nearly ended up on the HRM float one time (long story). I always thought it was a great time. I'm so wonderful to see the festival getting bigger and bigger and I'd love to see it out do the Natal day parade. Calgary and Edmonton's parades are a joke (maybe 5000 people), but then again you are in conservative land.

But this goes to show just how great these parades are! I'm really glad Ed and the committee did a great job and when I run into him in Edmonton I intend to buy him a drink to congratulate him.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 10:40 AM
Honored Member

I shouldn't be commenting on this since I know it is not politically correct, but apparantly I must have some obsessive compulsive disorder that causes me to post on this forum.

I have never been to such a parade and never will, just as I would never go to a heterosexual parade. I have only seen clips and a few pictures in the paper of the Toronto parade. I always feel that there is too much bare skin which I personally find offensive. My personal opinion is that if such groups want to be taken seriously, they must act in a more serious and respectful manner. If there were people marching in suits then it might not be so offensive to the older generation. (I hope that people don't get too upset by my opinion since I am part of the middle age - old fogy generation. However, it gives me an idea, how about an "old fogy parade"?).

PS: I am in favour of more parades and festivals to attract people downtown.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I shouldn't be commenting on this since I know it is not politically correct
True enough. You are generally shouted down not just here but anywhere else if you say anything bad about the Pride parade.

Quote:
I have never been to such a parade and never will, just as I would never go to a heterosexual parade. I have only seen clips and a few pictures in the paper of the Toronto parade. I always feel that there is too much bare skin which I personally find offensive. My personal opinion is that if such groups want to be taken seriously, they must act in a more serious and respectful manner. If there were people marching in suits then it might not be so offensive to the older generation. (I hope that people don't get too upset by my opinion since I am part of the middle age - old fogy generation. However, it gives me an idea, how about an "old fogy parade"?).

PS: I am in favour of more parades and festivals to attract people downtown.
<Applause> I could not agree more.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:23 PM

It's not for everyone and as an openly gay man, I do agree that some of the outfits are a little much for young childrens eyes. I know two older guys who were virtually nothing and nothing made me more ill than seeing their old pimply asses on their motorbikes. There is nothing wrong with people not wanting to go; it's like any other event/thing - if it doesn't interest you, why go? I don't want to spark a huge debate about it, but I'm glad that you qualified yourself fenwick that you wouldn't go to a str8 parade either. Nothing gets me more annoyed when people post that tired old saying. I've not had my first coffee of the day; so I'd easily get annoyed lol.

But I think part of the reason pride is that way is to get attention. For so many years gay rights were non-existant. I guess in way, now that it's come full circle and we have most of the rights we fought so hard to get; it's hard to move away from being the typical festival, with the gets up that are a bit much.

Oh well; I guess in my mind you can't have a festival without some skin and I'd happily take my kids to it. Just glad it's not like Calgary's where skin heads and KKK members show up to protest. Although I'll never forget last year when 8 drag queens beat up two KKK guys. Now that; you have to admit is funny.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
If there were people marching in suits...
Sounds like fun. Office pride parade!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I don't want to spark a huge debate about it, but I'm glad that you qualified yourself fenwick that you wouldn't go to a str8 parade either. Nothing gets me more annoyed when people post that tired old saying. I've not had my first coffee of the day; so I'd easily get annoyed lol.
I prefer not to debate it either, to each their own, but is that really a tired old saying? I thought I was being original.

PS: Luckily everyone on this forum has something in common, an interest in architecture.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 1:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Part of the purpose of the Pride Parade is to push people a little to question why they feel uncomfortable. Nudity doesn't hurt anybody, including children, who only start to think of it as a big deal when their parents point it out.

I personally think that it's very positive that society has opened up since the 1950s. There were so many things that people back then refused to talk about because it made them uncomfortable, even though that only made things worse (e.g. people not talking about illness or disability).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Part of the purpose of the Pride Parade is to push people a little to question why they feel uncomfortable. Nudity doesn't hurt anybody, including children, who only start to think of it as a big deal when their parents point it out.

I personally think that it's very positive that society has opened up since the 1950s. There were so many things that people back then refused to talk about because it made them uncomfortable, even though that only made things worse (e.g. people not talking about illness or disability).
Fenwick - it's a tired expression to someone whose heard it uttered for some many years as a negative response to the parade. So for me; it's not really something origial - I've heard it a lot lol. But feel free to use it!

I think we all agree that any parade is a take it or leave it sort of deal - although an office pride would be interesting? Desks on wheels? LOL

What impresses me about it; is that it has kept growing. I was on the board for the parade for 2 years before I moved out west. We always found it easy to get sponsors. I remember when I sat with one of the managers at Hillcrest Volkswagon (who had been regular sponsors). They were just like - oh god; gay people buy tones of VW's - we'll be there. They fell over themselves to double the money the gave the year before.

I was looking at Councillor Sloane's pics on her facebook page - there were lots of floats that hadn't been in the parade when I was there. The marriott hotel; the bridge commission (that one threw me) and those big puppets. Even people with dogs! So bringing my dog home with me for that next year.

But what impressed me about the clip I saw on the news was business at all the places along the routes was crazy busy! I honestly would be really happy to see this parade surpass the Natal Day one. Will it ever get to the size of Toronto or Montreal's where its 1million +? Someday...

Although the year we had the gay firefighters and policeman associations from NYC (who were on a cruise that stopped in Halifax during pride) - that brought a tear to my eye. Someone happened to see a poster about the parade on a Friday and the committee got the call at 9pm the night before. We fell over backwards to get them in. They marched in full uniform and people just cheered like crazy. I'd like to see them join again - I'd even tolerate Rosie O'Donnell (so long as I had a few first). Ellen would be kewl.

But it just goes to show you that parades like this just really bring out all sorts of people for a great time and business reaps the rewards. Imagine how well business will do as that block fills in with more ground and 2nd level commercial where the DQ is?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 6:23 PM

The early rumoured numbers for pride is in the range of 70 to 100,000 people participated along the route and at the after gathering. This was mostly boosted by the concert at the commons I suspect; but if the higher number holds true - that means 1/4 of the population of HRM was downtown watching the event (either on purpose or watched because it happened).

That's great for business. I know a couple of people who worked at various restaurants along the route and they said the places were packed all day - their best numbers in years.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 7:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
The early rumoured numbers for pride is in the range of 70 to 100,000 people participated along the route and at the after gathering. This was mostly boosted by the concert at the commons I suspect; but if the higher number holds true - that means 1/4 of the population of HRM was downtown watching the event (either on purpose or watched because it happened).

That's great for business. I know a couple of people who worked at various restaurants along the route and they said the places were packed all day - their best numbers in years.
That certainly is impressive (needless to say). Now if only the municipality could think of a few other festivals that would be just as successful. (I guess there is Natal Day).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:40 AM

Quote:
That certainly is impressive (needless to say). Now if only the municipality could think of a few other festivals that would be just as successful. (I guess there is Natal Day).
Well then I guess that means that from the parade perspective; the main parades in Halifax are:
  1. The Tattoo parade;
  2. The Pride Parade;;
  3. Canada Day;
  4. Natal day;
  5. Parade of lights (winter).

That's it - wow; did I miss any? There needs to be more.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:18 AM
Honored Member

The tattoo doesn't get mentioned here very often but it has been a really success story. Too bad that they insulted the Queen so badly - in my opinion they should have specially built safe stairs to the stage for her. Although I am not a big supporter of the monarchy, she did give it its Royal designation.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 12:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I have only seen clips and a few pictures in the paper of the Toronto parade. I always feel that there is too much bare skin which I personally find offensive.
With due respect, if you haven't been to the local parade and have only seen photos from Toronto (which is a considerably larger, different parade), how do you determine there is too much bare skin here in Halifax?

There is an allnovascotia article this morning stating complaints that the event has become "corporatized" and that there wasn't any skin shown this year.

Quote:
My personal opinion is that if such groups want to be taken seriously, they must act in a more serious and respectful manner. If there were people marching in suits then it might not be so offensive to the older generation.
Again, with respect, but this just needs to be commented on - If you honestly believe people in the Pride Parade should all wear suits just not to make older people feel uncomfortable then you're missing the entire point of the event. Hell, the theme of the week was "Free to Be".

EDIT: It's not my intention to sound confrontational, but your comments seem to be representative of many people who, often for no fault of their own, simply have no connection to the gay rights movement and draw a lack of understanding from that about the rational and benefits of events like the pride parade. Certainly there is no requirement for you to ever attend, but I would encourage you to simply keep an open mind about why there the event is held and why something that started out as little more than a small cry for acceptance from the fringe has evolved into the second largest parade in Atlantic Canada.

Last edited by phrenic; Jul 27, 2010 at 1:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 1:26 PM
Honored Member

Good points. It just isn't a focal point of my life, so I honestly don't get the point (there is no sarcasm here).

Referring to the bare skin comment - there was a nude bike ride in Halifax a couple of weeks ago. This was a mixed event. I wouldn't want to see that either.

PS: I have a very strong faith in God. I don't say this simply as words but it is a feeling so strong that I feel for a fact that there is a God. Unfortunately many people in the Gay community like to mock people who believe in God.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 1:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Good points. It just isn't a focal point of my life, so I honestly don't get the point (there is no sarcasm here).
And that's entirely fair. All I'm suggesting is to be open minded when you can.

Quote:
Referring to the bare skin comment - there was a nude bike ride in Halifax a couple of weeks ago. This was a mixed event. I wouldn't want to see that either.
Again, fair. I'm pretty socially liberal, but even I have no interest in attending that. And I assure you the skin level at the pride parade is no where near the naked bike ride.

Quote:
PS: I have a very strong faith in God. I don't say this simply as words but it is a feeling so strong that I feel for a fact that there is a God. Unfortunately many people in the Gay community like to mock people who believe in God.
I think this comes back to the chicken and the egg argument. I'm generalizing, but religion has at least historically, disapproved of homosexuality, and sometimes homosexuals have historically responded in kind. Or has it been the other way around? I think it's all about perception. If religion tells you that your relationship is an affront to God, you're probably not going to have a great opinion of religion. On the other hand, if the religion you believe in tells you person x's relationship is an affront to God, you're probably not going to have a great opinion of person x.

I think our perceptions on the severity of this cultural divide are influenced by what we here about in the states where homosexuality is often put up as a political issue and draws extremely strong opinions from both sides.

In fact, locally, things aren't as far apart as they may appear. I actually know plenty of god-fearing folks who have become much more socially accepting as society has evolved and I have a few gay friends who attend services regularly. Granted, I recognize that there are still many people from either group who want nothing to do with the other, but it's not always the case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment