HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:42 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
No clue!
But it seems like such a waste! The MicMac building isn't even 10 years old.
Yea, it really does. Hopefully they'll get a tenant in there that will revamp the outside of the building from grimy looking coloured stucco stuff and make it look a tad nicer than it is now..

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
No clue!
But it seems like such a waste! The MicMac building isn't even 10 years old.
You can say the same about a number of businesses that moved to DC... Home Depot (formerly off Portland St.) and Canadian Tire (formerly on Tacoma Dr.) for instance

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Yea, it really does. Hopefully they'll get a tenant in there that will revamp the outside of the building from grimy looking coloured stucco stuff and make it look a tad nicer than it is now..
It'll probably become a dollar store LOL.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:36 AM

Nice pictures. I think the Hampton will become the landmark for DC. Currently its the only higher building and is right on the highway.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:44 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Nice pictures. I think the Hampton will become the landmark for DC. Currently its the only higher building and is right on the highway.
Well, there are actually 2 hotels in the plans for DC. There is supposidly going to be a Marriott built in phase 4 of the project. Im not sure how many stories or how many rooms this will be though.

edit: Ah, on second look on the map on the website, the building I thought it was going to be is going to be small/medium box stores .

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:27 AM

And the Home Depot was less than that.

Anyway, by the looks that's going to be an impressive Future Shop. Even better than Bayers Lake

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Yep, in the Fall (according to "the plan"). Wishblade and I have been trying to figure out what might fill the space at Mic Mac earlier Any thoughts?? lol
Well in Moncton, they are putting Urban Planet in their old FutureShop,
Perhaps the same for Halifax?

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Anyway, by the looks that's going to be an impressive Future Shop. Even better than Bayers Lake
Actually I was out that way today, and now that I see it in person it looks to be about the same size as the one they're replacing (sans Chapters, obviously). They blew their chance to have a Bayers Lake killer...

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canopus View Post
I noticed some pedestrian bridge work near DC connecting into the larger trail system. Does anyone know if it is very ped/bike accessible?
Do you mean the pedestrian bridge near Wright Avenue? If so, yes, its quite accessible i biked from there all the way to the Circ bridge over Lake Banook. I believe they are extending the trail system north along Lake Charles. Since the Trans Canada Trail runs through Shubie Park the trails are beautifully upkept and well used. They have special parking for the trail users just past Empire Theatres and a nice bridge over the 118.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 1:18 AM

I was looking through the webiste today and found a "list" of soon to open stores (in '08). Some of these have been mentioned so please excuse any repetitions:
-Dio Mio (riverside across from future Costco),
-Costco (between Finlay and Countryview),
-CIBC (near Costco),
-Moxie's Classic Grill (across from Sportchek),
-Baton Rouge (near Swiss Chalet),
-Allstate/Subway/Second Cup (next to JYSK),
-Future Shop (between Petcetera and Home Depot.

Also in the works is a office area off of Commodore. This area fronts on Frenchman Lake. The offices are allowed to be up to five storeys high.

They're extended Route 72 (Portland Hills) to go up Commodore into DC. Strangely though its only one way. You can go to DC from Burnside but not from Mic Mac or Portland Hills.

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 13, 2008 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 1:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Somewhat disappointing that they haven't attracted much in the way of new retailers.

No IKEA?

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 2:46 AM

Wasn't there an IKEA in the works for somewhere in HRM? For some reason Burnside keeps popping in my head. It might of been BL though... Does anyone know if this idea was killed or is it still planned?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Wright Avenue complete
KEN PARTRIDGE
The Burnside News

If you're one of the many Burnside residents wondering when the city is going to get around to opening the rest of Wright Avenue, I have good news.

As of today the Wright Avenue Extention is now complete, allowing drivers to go all the way from Windmill Road to Highway 118.

Not only does this open up another entrance/exit point for Burnside, possibly helping to reduce traffic congestion, but it's also important news for Dartmouth Crossing. The completion of Wright Avenue is the final missing piece to the huge retail development. It will create additional traffic flow and facilitate transportation between the shopping mecca and Burnside.

It's also good news to the many businesses already located, or considering locating, along the Extention. The decision to locate there is largely influenced by it being a main artery into Dartmouth Crossing, thus a way of capturing customers travelling in and out of the development. That potential was largely theoretical while the street remained closed
Ah finally this road has been completed. Once the road behind Costco opens up this will become the road into D.C.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:19 AM

future shop

Besides the new Future Shop being built in Dartmouth Crossing, there is a sign up in the North Gate Power Centre in the Bedford Commons (next to the new Wal-mart) for a new Future Shop, aswell as other stores like Tip Top Tailors and Swiss Chalet. They are also building a new future shop in New Glasgow.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 11:51 PM
we built this city

(Credit: ve1nsx on flickr)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 1:14 AM

Those are nice pictures. I've gotta say that with BL and DC equally far away i now always choose to go to DC its just easier to get to and is better set up. I love how in DC they have specific areas for specific types of stores. All the girl clothing stores are in one area, dining and entertainment are in another and the big-box stores are seperate. BL is a mess with stores all over the place. Now with Wright Ave open its even quicker to swing down there, loop around DC and come in off Commodore.

Does anyone know what type of stores are going in behind Swiss Chalet (across from Empires)?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 7:22 PM

Found this on HRM's website:
http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/d...0513ca1121.pdf
Case: 01079

Basically put D.C. Limited is proposing a five-storey office building at the southern terminus of Hector Gate to anchor the desired feel of the street (urban main-street). It'll probably be approved easily seeing HT, among other groups, aren't out here and the are no NIMBY's around. Location wise it is the gravel area on left of Commodore as you are leaving D.C. to go back to Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Location wise it is the gravel area on left of Commodore as you are leaving D.C. to go back to Halifax.
Just curious to know which end of Commodore Drive takes you to Halifax...since neither technically does, and both technically could.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Just curious to know which end of Commodore Drive takes you to Halifax...since neither technically does, and both technically could.
Sorry i guess i didn't clarify that much. I meant the on-ramp to Hwys 118/the Circ. If i leave D.C. i always use the Circ to get in town or back to Bfd. The ramp's just above Best Buy and Sportchek area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:41 AM

Ah okay, just wanted to clarify. Now that I think about it, there's currently a big empty field of gravel and mud in that spot, isn't there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs