HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:58 PM

[Halifax] CBHT-DT transmitter | 266m? | n/a fl | U/C

CBC originally announced back in April that the Halifax transmitter was being upgraded and would result in a frequency change for the television channel (Details here)

I noticed yesterday on the way home that the tower looked slightly different, and even more different today. I got out the telephoto lens today, and looks like the entire top (red) portion of the tower is being removed.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:03 PM

I’ve always found that to be an interesting structure. The view from the top must be amazing.

Sorry to take this down such a predictable path for me, but were they doing this work with a crane? I’ve often wondered what the setup would be required to maintain or remove that antenna. I was on Northwest Arm Drive to day and didn’t t notice the work.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:21 PM

The yellow structure (currently highest object) looks like some sort of hoist. You can see the cables coning off of it in the 2nd and 3rd photos, guessing tied to ground instead of parked at the top.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
The yellow structure (currently highest object) looks like some sort of hoist. You can see the cables coning off of it in the 2nd and 3rd photos, guessing tied to ground instead of parked at the top.
You're right. I found this video on it and it seems like workers go up a basket hoisted by the tower. It is hard to tell the exact arrangement. Looks like I'll be doing some digging on this tonight.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:18 PM

Found 3 workers up top today.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 11:15 PM

I think I misunderstood your first post, I thought the photos were old, showing the orange top of the mast. But I checked Google Earth 3D and it was significantly higher. Do you think the yellow structure is something that was hoisted piece by piece, then slowly lowered as the orange section was dismantled?

This shows more of it.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 11:27 PM

My photos are posted same day as taken.

I think the yellow section was added recently, perhaps by helicopter? I don't think its always been there, at least in the air. There are definitely sections of the orange missing, its about 1/3 of its original size i would guess. The white piece sticking off the side (best seen in 2nd photo 1st post) is present in the video you linked, and the same size in both.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 12:30 AM

It looks like this work is complete now? There is now a new lattice section on top replacing the orange with a strobe light working.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:36 PM

I would assume yes, the hoist cable also removed, and the broadcast frequency has supposed to been changed on June 1

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure