HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:08 PM

Moosehead Grand Prix

I heard a conversation this past week about a promoter looking into an event similar to the former Moosehead GP.

Anyone else hear of such an event being considered?

Seemed to be a fairly strong economic spin off from what I recall of the past event.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 4:22 PM

Haven't heard a thing about it, but would love to see it happen again. A lot of the streets would need some repaving in order to run a race on them, but that would be beneficial for everybody after the event has finished.

Hopefully they are talking about an actual city street event as I recall the MGP ended up at Shearwater for the last couple years. Seems to me there was an issue with the course having no escape road on a couple of tight turns which, IIRC resulted in a Porsche moving a concrete barrier in one incident - I still remember seeing the column of smoke rising after the crash.

Would be cool if it could attract a top racing series to make it a world class event. I'm guessing F1 would be too much of a stretch, but there are some others which would be cool to see.

Fingers are crossed for this one.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 12:09 PM

Streets

I agree, I think F1 would be a stretch. Lots of interesting other possibilities though.

I did prefer the street circuit, I think it really put Halifax on the map. Shame it departed. If it came down to having it or not, the Shearwater setting would work, but the streets of Halifax had some magic to it, and wow! How many people in Downtown enjoying and spending in the core.

It was quite the sight! Something about a Rothmans 944 Turbo that was brilliant in that setting.

Here's hoping.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 12:45 PM

Not a chance; Halifax's large population of left-wing enviro-loons would be marching in the streets protesting the use of fossil fuels and the air and noise pollution such an event would cause. The Friends of the Common would protest against its proximity to their sacred site. The Friends of Africville would not allow it anywhere near their sacred ground. The Friends of the Citadel would want to protect their mound from the ravages of racing cars. The Friends of the Public Gardens would not want it within 5km to protect the hearing of the swans. And of course the Ecology Action Center would be in the media decrying the effects of such an event of the good people of Halifax and how we must never allow it.

Of course a cycling race would be embraced.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not a chance; Halifax's large population of left-wing enviro-loons would be marching in the streets protesting the use of fossil fuels and the air and noise pollution such an event would cause. The Friends of the Common would protest against its proximity to their sacred site. The Friends of Africville would not allow it anywhere near their sacred ground. The Friends of the Citadel would want to protect their mound from the ravages of racing cars. The Friends of the Public Gardens would not want it within 5km to protect the hearing of the swans. And of course the Ecology Action Center would be in the media decrying the effects of such an event of the good people of Halifax and how we must never allow it.

Of course a cycling race would be embraced.

But now that you mention it, the Tour de Halifax has a nice ring to it...

How about bringing back the hydroplane races in the harbour. I really enjoyed those as well...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:05 PM

races

Thanks Keith! I had a good chuckle over that one.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 12:19 AM

Halifax folks complained and complained about the noise downtown in the restaurants/clubs/bars during the week of the Grand Prix, the fuel being wasted, and the crowds. It moved to Shearwater and it killed the event because you could not get a good view of cars or the track for the most part it destroyed the event. Even with it in Shearwater, there was news reports of old left wing kooks downtown Dartmouth and Halifax still complaining about the noise.

Halifax only seems to support ugly Libraries in a day and age where everyone can do research on a smart phone, tablet, or laptop and of course 4 story buildings in the name of "heritage"

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 2:32 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I watched the 1992 race on YouTube this am. The interview with the deputy mayor was awesome. He was in full support and spoke of the economic benefits. He also spoke about the noise complaints. Basically he said it was worth the complaints of a small few to benefit the many. I would love to see this event return.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I watched the 1992 race on YouTube this am. The interview with the deputy mayor was awesome. He was in full support and spoke of the economic benefits. He also spoke about the noise complaints. Basically he said it was worth the complaints of a small few to benefit the many. I would love to see this event return.
It could not return to that specific course now, as the roundabouts and the destruction of Rainnie Drive for the cyclists has made that impossible, as has the construction of the QEII adjacent to the old course. You really would not want a motor race next to a hospital. It is unfortunate since that area is one of the few with a network of streets that are sufficiently wide. I could not imagine either of the peninsular councillors supporting a motor race since that is the kind of thing both would find abhorrent.

I found it interesting that the interview with Bill Stone, the Deputy Mayor (a name I had totally forgotten) took place while the Mayor, Ron Wallace, was circulating in the background and was being ignored.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It could not return to that specific course now, as the roundabouts and the destruction of Rainnie Drive for the cyclists has made that impossible, as has the construction of the QEII adjacent to the old course. You really would not want a motor race next to a hospital. It is unfortunate since that area is one of the few with a network of streets that are sufficiently wide. I could not imagine either of the peninsular councillors supporting a motor race since that is the kind of thing both would find abhorrent.

I found it interesting that the interview with Bill Stone, the Deputy Mayor (a name I had totally forgotten) took place while the Mayor, Ron Wallace, was circulating in the background and was being ignored.
I'm sure WATTS would be excited about a bicycle race

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I'm sure WATTS would be excited about a bicycle race
Few others would be though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General