HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 11:41 AM

Jazz Fest now Hip-Hop Fest

What a joke. I don't care how many tickets they sell -- hip-hop crap has no place at a jazz festival.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 2:56 PM

i agree. these 2 styles of music have nothing in common.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 5:57 PM
we built this city

You guys are ignorant... hip hop has much of its roots in jazz and blues music and jazz was intially sampled by artists like dj premiere. (see: bridging the gap nas featuring olu dara)

Hip hop has a great history in halifax and a culture that is far more than music.

I think we should have both a jazz fest and hip hop fest.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
You guys are ignorant... hip hop has much of its roots in jazz and blues music and jazz was intially sampled by artists like dj premiere.
Yes, and now it's in a completely different direction. What's your point.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 8:47 PM
we built this city

Point: Bashing it is ethnocentric, its a subculture.

And its not completely different now, just to people who are don't know anything about it and even some that think they do, even supposed artists.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Point: Bashing it is ethnocentric, its a subculture.
Bullcrap. Don't you be playing the race card. The only things jazz and hip-hop have in common is that both have origins as black music. One has much worth as a musical genre and an art form. The other is total crap and completely worthless.

Quote:
And its not completely different now, just to people who are don't know anything about it and even some that think they do, even supposed artists.
The only "supposed artists" are those who call themselves "rap artists" -- the very definition of oxymoron.

I say again: the organizers need to take a hard look at what they want this event to be. If it is a jazz festival, then present jazz. If it is to be any old sort of something that calls itself music festival, call it something else.

One would think that an event that is shopping cap in hand for a new venue would want to be somewhat careful about what they present.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 11:47 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Bullcrap. Don't you be playing the race card. The only things jazz and hip-hop have in common is that both have origins as black music. One has much worth as a musical genre and an art form. The other is total crap and completely worthless.

I say again: the organizers need to take a hard look at what they want this event to be. If it is a jazz festival, then present jazz. If it is to be any old sort of something that calls itself music festival, call it something else.One would think that an event that is shopping cap in hand for a new venue would want to be somewhat careful about what they present.
Wow, I don't even know how to respond to this. What I said has nothing to do with race. You have a limited knowledge of what you are discussing.

Please look up ethnocentrism and get back to me.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:31 AM

Keith,
The Jazz Fest has included fusion and hybrid musical styles leaning to electro, rock, folk, experimental, etc for many years. It probably does this for several reasons - to make money and reach new crowds, but also because it recognizes that to limit itself to someone's idea of "jazz" (yours? ) would be to deny the cross-pollination of musical genres has happened for decades.
You obviously don't like hip hop. Fine. Many other jazz fans and musicians do like De La Soul, who are a particularly good hip hip group.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Keith,
The Jazz Fest has included fusion and hybrid musical styles leaning to electro, rock, folk, experimental, etc for many years. It probably does this for several reasons - to make money and reach new crowds, but also because it recognizes that to limit itself to someone's idea of "jazz" (yours? ) would be to deny the cross-pollination of musical genres has happened for decades.
You obviously don't like hip hop. Fine. Many other jazz fans and musicians do like De La Soul, who are a particularly good hip hip group.
That last part is a contradiction in terms.

It's not my idea of jazz. Jazz has a pretty reasonable definition. When the organizers ignore that definition, then they need to call their event something else.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 5:04 AM

Look, there is crap in both genres. There is also some great artists in both genres. I've witnessed both. I've seen a guy hang 10 electric guitars on a wall all run through AC30's which he then proceded to throw different size and length chains at..... There are some in the crowed that called this "fusion jazz" I could not even call this music let alone jazz. Then you have the "hip hop" world where most is crap. But there are some great artist who are true artists that respect the genre and don't consider asses shaking on the stage to be part of the "hip hop" culture. These are the artist that should be considered to be musical and should be what people look at when they talk about hip hop. However most people only see the music video's, and the crap that you see and hear in the mainstream media... it is unfortunate but true.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 12:36 PM

IMO they should just make it into an atlantic music festival. Covering all kinds of music, from classical, to jazz, to rock, to hip hop, they can all trace their roots back far enough that they originate from something similar.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:57 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
De La Soul uses a lot of Jazz influenced music in their songs as well. Talented Emcees.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 10:18 PM

This thread made me curious about the whole piece, so I wiki-ed it. A light browsing of the facts, yes, but still I give it a 70% credibility via the references.

This is what they had to say:

"Jazz is a music genre that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions. From its early development until the present, jazz has incorporated music from 19th and 20th century American popular music.[1] Its West African pedigree is evident in its use of blue notes, improvisation, polyrhythms, syncopation, and the swung note.[2] However, Art Blakey has been quoted as saying, "No America, no jazz. I’ve seen people try to connect it to other countries, for instance to Africa, but it doesn’t have a damn thing to do with Africa".[3]
The word "jazz" (in early years also spelled "jass") began as a West Coast slang term and was first used to refer to music in Chicago in about 1915.
From its beginnings in the early 20th century jazz has spawned a variety of subgenres: New Orleans Dixieland dating from the early 1910s, big band-style swing from the 1930s and 1940s, bebop from the mid-1940s, a variety of Latin jazz fusions such as Afro-Cuban and Brazilian jazz, free jazz from the 1950s and 1960s, jazz fusion from the 1970s, acid jazz from the 1980s (which added funk and hip-hop influences), and Nujazz in the 1990s. As the music has spread around the world it has drawn on local national and regional musical cultures, its aesthetics being adapted to its varied environments and giving rise to many distinctive styles."

Music is music, if you don't like the beat of what you're hearing, go to another stage. Things change, otherwise we would all be wearing loin cloths and have no idea about deodorant.

go dogs go!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment