HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:46 PM

More tech jobs coming to the city. 150 in total by 2022. They will be setting up shop in the Exchange Center.

https://mailchi.mp/gnoinc/gov-edward...9XzuBb8DHTYkCo

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:19 PM

A few personal observations from the “The New MSY”:
  • While the ambient noise levels aren’t bad, announcement quality is terrible in the check-in and baggage claim levels, I could hardly make out the majority of them. Post-TSA this doesn’t appear to be a problem and gate announcements were very clear.
  • The displays indicating parking availability were not working at long-term parking, and apparently not at short term either.
  • Ride share and taxi drivers seem to be completely lost in the sauce (poor communication?) and are making the terminal roadways hell to navigate. Private vehicles seem to more or less get it or were quickly able to figure it out.
  • The TSA line was backed up the stairs to the check-in level. There was only one pre-check lane which was also packed and the Clear lanes were empty. Hopefully this will improve once the other half of the TSA area is set up.
  • The views of the airfield from practically any point of the North Terminal Complex are amazing whether indoor or outdoor.
  • Southwest appeared to be having issues with checked baggage and there was small mountain of luggage building in front of their check-in counters that was constantly being reduced by baggage handlers, but not fast enough to keep it from growing.
  • The terminal feels like it should be part of a multi-terminal complex, it just feels like it’s going to be bursting at the seems relatively soon. For lack of words, it feels tiny. Obviously, it’s a more efficient use of space, but it doesn’t seem like there’s enough space to use efficiently.
  • Lots of people coming to just walk around and take photos.
  • There was not a single car in the surface lot. I’m not sure if people even know that it exists.
  • I wish that there was more of a balance between the concessions on C and B. There seems to be higher end options on the concourse with Spirit, Frontier, etc. where United and Delta fliers who aren’t going to the lounge are stuck with Chili’s.
  • Traffic at the Loyola exit and into the airport was not an issue. It only became a problem around the “arrivals” loop.
  • Signage within the terminal itself is piss poor and in some cases useless. Some of the merges and splits on the roadways are poorly marked and could be dangerous once the newness wears off and people stop being cautious.

Last edited by Uptowner; Nov 7, 2019 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:26 PM
TL;DR

As with any large new complex building, I'm sure there will be a breaking-in period when these concerns are addressed.

The congestion issues are probably caused by the taxi confusion combined with all the gawkers. I'm sure they will establish a better protocol for the taxis, and once the newness wears off, the gawkers will go away.

As for the size of the terminal - i always felt like the previous terminal complex was too vast and empty. It led to a creepy feeling at times. It didn't help that whatever activity there was, was spread out over 4 different concourses.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Do you know what the design of this garage will be and if it will have ground floor commercial space by chance? thanks
I actually don’t know the answer to this. It will connect via walkway to the current garage so would expect a similar size and look but not sure about the retail space.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
As with any large new complex building, I'm sure there will be a breaking-in period when these concerns are addressed.

The congestion issues are probably caused by the taxi confusion combined with all the gawkers. I'm sure they will establish a better protocol for the taxis, and once the newness wears off, the gawkers will go away.

As for the size of the terminal - i always felt like the previous terminal complex was too vast and empty. It led to a creepy feeling at times. It didn't help that whatever activity there was, was spread out over 4 different concourses.
Of course, everything has to go through a teething period.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and miscommunication concerning Uber and Lyft switching to FIFO for the new terminal coupled with an overcapacity hold lot.

As far as the size goes, I agree with south terminal being a inefficient use of space, but the north terminal literally feels compact and bit more crowded (I flew out during a slow period). The open space counters that which makes it more pronounced to me.

Still, it was a much needed improvement and is quite impressive considering that it’s in Louisiana.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post

There seems to be a lot of confusion and miscommunication concerning Uber and Lyft switching to FIFO for the new terminal coupled with an overcapacity hold lot.

As far as the size goes, I agree with south terminal being a inefficient use of space, but the north terminal literally feels compact and bit more crowded (I flew out during a slow period). The open space counters that which makes it more pronounced to me.

Still, it was a much needed improvement and is quite impressive considering that it’s in Louisiana.
I think the terminal would have benefited by being slightly wider, creating wider circulation paths, however what is there is more than sufficient. I was surprised by the number of passengers, I enjoyed the new energy of being able to see passengers in a way that the south terminal never achieved. To put it simply, it felt like I was in a real city.

The terminal was designed in a way that people seem to want to linger and people watch, there was number of travelers hanging out at all areas of the arrivals level, and I anticipate it will continue to be this way.

I flew out on opening night and returned today and what surprised me the most was that every restaurant and bar was PACKED and/or had long lines. I think the concessions program is going to be very successful.

Downside, as expected, bathroom cleanliness is already an issue, and the automatic soap dispensers are not yet working. Also, passengers appear to be having trouble with the water bottle fillers, spilling water everywhere.

I found FIFO for Uber to be easy, I only waited five minutes at 7pm this evening. However, I think they should have included a ground transportation center on the ground floor of the short-term garage, I don't think they will ever get the kinks worked out for curb-side FIFO. Most airports seems to be moving away from Curbside TNC in favor of transportation centers.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:14 AM

Quote:

Kind of backhanded there. I feel Louisiana built an impressive airport that compliments the wonderful area of the country that it is.

I flew out of MSY yesterday at 7 pm, Delta flight. I arrived 2 hours early (Lyft ride - no problems) to check out the new digs and because everyone was acting like the first day was going to be a nightmare. I cruised thru security in a few minutes, almost took out Pauly from Jersey Shore with my roller, (too busy gawking at the architecture) and had no problems, whatsoever.

I did question why Chick-fil-a did not have any seating as it was by far the busiest joint from what I could tell. Everyone was packing their paper sack to their gate, to eat it on their lap.

Last edited by eastidaho; Nov 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post

Kind of backhanded there..
Not at all, as it comes from a lifetime of experience and direct involvement in certain aspects of the project. The fact that it was built at all is impressive. We’ll just gloss over the fact that the roadway leading to it won’t be complete for another 3 years (partially because the state itself didn’t believe that it would be built).

Louisiana can do great things when it actually sets out and intends to do them, and if you’re from around these parts you know just where I’m going with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
I think the terminal would have benefited by being slightly wider, creating wider circulation paths, however what is there is more than sufficient. I was surprised by the number of passengers, I enjoyed the new energy of being able to see passengers in a way that the south terminal never achieved. To put it simply, it felt like I was in a real city.

The terminal was designed in a way that people seem to want to linger and people watch, there was number of travelers hanging out at all areas of the arrivals level, and I anticipate it will continue to be this way.

I flew out on opening night and returned today and what surprised me the most was that every restaurant and bar was PACKED and/or had long lines. I think the concessions program is going to be very successful.

Downside, as expected, bathroom cleanliness is already an issue, and the automatic soap dispensers are not yet working. Also, passengers appear to be having trouble with the water bottle fillers, spilling water everywhere.

I found FIFO for Uber to be easy, I only waited five minutes at 7pm this evening. However, I think they should have included a ground transportation center on the ground floor of the short-term garage, I don't think they will ever get the kinks worked out for curb-side FIFO. Most airports seems to be moving away from Curbside TNC in favor of transportation centers.
I agree with mostly everything that you said. I love the views both inside and out. You get a real sense of people moving to and fro from every possible angle. I also agree with the transportation center idea or even if they could use the loop beneath the departures ramp. I’ve been seeing posts on social media showing extremely long lines of people waiting in the Uber/Lyft zones so maybe it’s a time of day issue but when I left out the traffic in that area was ridiculous. e.g., http://www.wdsu.com/article/passenge...w-msy/29730356

Also, apparently the baggage system failed today and multiple flights went out leaving a lot of checked bags behind.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_16...1be523668.html

Last edited by Uptowner; Nov 8, 2019 at 11:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:11 PM
-

Quote:
. The fact that it was built at all is impressive. We’ll just gloss over the fact that the roadway leading to it won’t be complete for another 3 years (partially because the state itself didn’t believe that it would be built).
This isnt true for the parts of the project that matter... the ramp to and from new orleans is supposed to be ready first.. so it wont be three years but much sooner according to the articles from DOTD.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This isnt true for the parts of the project that matter... the ramp to and from new orleans is supposed to be ready first.. so it wont be three years but much sooner according to the articles from DOTD.
It won’t be 2019 and I doubt it’ll be 2020. I mean we’re talking about general access to a facility that was set to open in 2018 that isn’t scheduled to be fully completed until fall/winter 2022 if nothing goes wrong. I’ve been personally involved with this for 5 years and trust me when I say this thing should have been ready for stripping and signage by fall of 2017 (which was impossible since the traffic studies were started well into 2016 and design even later), and would have been in most places but it’s par for the course.

At the end of the day, I love the new terminal and I couldn’t be more proud of New Orleans (not Louisiana) for getting it done and having entry point to the world that can compete with some of the best in the country, but just think of how well we could do if we cut the b.s.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think he means the older Hyatt, not the newer Marriott... I kinda see the resemblance.
Okay! I totally see it. I can’t say that I necessarily like either and I know that renderings mean little to nothing at all, but I think I’d take the design of that Hyatt any day.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch Basin View Post
I have to say, I think the interiors of the units at The Garage look terrible. It will be interesting to see what those are actually used for, or their sales prices.

Two of the penthouses popped up for sale today in the $700 psf range. Https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M89674-66779

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-94303?view=qv

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:54 PM

Just watched a video about the new airport and in the video they mentioned they old terminal will possibly be used as a air freight terminal. I wonder who will Hub at the old terminal Amazon Freight, Uber Freight, FedEx or UPS.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
Just watched a video about the new airport and in the video they mentioned they old terminal will possibly be used as a air freight terminal. I wonder who will Hub at the old terminal Amazon Freight, Uber Freight, FedEx or UPS.
It's the perfect spot for a multi-modal cargo facility to be built given the nearby access to road, rail, and marine transport.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:18 PM
-

3500 St Claude Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:CGZG11
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Gregory Richardson
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/8/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
New building construction portion of the Holy Angels Academy property

3800 Howard Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:M4M3A2
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Artech Design Group
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/7/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Shell/Envelope Package, being Phase III for a 51,373 square foot mixed use entertainmentfacility containing a golf driving range, bars/restaurants and auxiliary spaces. This package consists of exterior walls, floor slabs, building steel, exterior doors and windows, and emergency egress stairways. INTERIOR WALLS, MEP ITEMS, KITCHEN EQUIPMENT,FINISHES, EXTERIOR LIGHTING, RAMPS, RAILINGS, FENCES, LIFE SAFETY PLANS, ETC. WILL BE ISSUED BY ADDENDUM AS THE 'FIT OUT' PACKAGE.

6001 Magazine St·New Construction · Ref Code:EJ6HDK
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Julie Meyer
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/6/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
site buildout

1115 St Anthony St·New Construction · Ref CodeCYZRZ
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Loretta Harmon
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/6/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Construction of a new residential structure (building 3 of 3) as part of a larger short term rental and/or condominium development, including 1800 McShane (building 1 of 3) and 1119 St. Anthony (building 2 of 3). A permit has already been issued for under Permit #17-35482-NEWC as a single family dwelling.

715 Opelousas Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:3FE4Z1
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Dennis Horchoff
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/5/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Construct a new single-story school building (Behrman Elementary School Early Learning Center.)

715 Opelousas Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:12XLK3
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Dennis Horchoff
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/5/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Construct a new single-story gymnasium building for Behrman Elementary School.

3200 Chartres St·New Construction · Ref Code:HJNGNW
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Michael Bosio
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/4/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
New construction of eight, three-story, single-family residences and a three-story commercial building at the corner of Chartres St. and Louisa St.

828 Girod St, 710 BARONNE·HDLC COA · Ref Code:MN4T0D
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Kirk Fabacher
Draft Application
Date Filed:
11/7/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
STRUCTURAL SHELL PERMIT (PHASE I) IN ADVANCE OF INTERIOR BUILD-OUT/EXTERIOR SKIN PERMIT (PHASE II). PHASE II WILL BE PERMITTED SEPARATELY. STRUCTURAL SHELL PERMIT INCLUDES NEW 6-STORY STRUCTURE AT 828 GIROD STREET AND 4-STORY ADDITION TO 710 BARONNE STREET. SCOPE INCLUDES FOUNDATION WORK AND TWO STEEL EXIT STAIRS. NO OCCUPANCY, NO MECH., ELEC. OR PLUMBING WORK THIS PERMIT.

djsnola
814 Baronne St·HDLC COA · Permit #19-35508-HDLC · Ref Code:8PN2Q8
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Danae J Columbus
Permit not required
Date Filed:
11/6/2019
Closed:
Yes
Description:
Non-structural renovation to flooded 5900 sqft mixed use (home/office). Scope of work includes drywall, baseboard. No electrical, plumbing, or HVAC. NO EXTERIOR WORK UNDER THIS PERMIT.

djsnola
2600 St Claude Ave·HDLC COA · Ref Code:72CUTF
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Perez
Draft Application
Date Filed:
11/8/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Partial demolition of rear portions and renovations to existing 3-story masonry building with some new construction to be a 4-story mixed used development including, three floors of 1, 2, & 3-bedroom residential over off-street parking and a small retail white box.

924 Canal St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:VPXPM8
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Loretta Harmon
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/9/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of vacant floors 2 and 3 into 4 short term rental apartments, and expansion of third floor onto second floor existing roof.

828 Royal St, Ground Floor·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Permit #19-35355-RNVN · Ref Code:7YW4KN
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
O'rear Jonathan
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
11/8/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition of Interior ONLY Finishes on the Ground Floor of 828 Royal to expose structure and utilities for inspection prior to completion of permit drawings for renovation of same. Future permit required for build out.

340 Chartres St·Demolition · Ref Code:WDH7HW
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Werling Kurt
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/6/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition of the remaining structure land locked by three buildings and a parking lot

315 Girod St [Dixieland Music & Gifts]·Interior Demolition · Permit #19-35385-DEMI · Ref Code:24HJWG
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
Baudier Walter
Permit Approved
Date Filed:
11/5/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior demolition of 17000 sqft vacant commercial building. Construction renovation permit to follow.

610 Baronne St·Interior Demolition · Permit #19-35174-DEMI · Ref Code:K0XU62
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
Kirk Fabacher
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
11/4/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior demolition of partitions, finish floors, ceilings, and mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems in preparation for interior build-out of 7 apartments to be permitted separately. Plans under 19-28256-RNVS.

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 10, 2019 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 4:02 PM
-

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 7:54 PM
NOLA Razorback

340 Chartres St·Demolition · Ref Code:WDH7HW
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Werling Kurt
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/6/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition of the remaining structure land locked by three buildings and a parking lot

Do we know what's happening here? Always thought that was a such prime real estate to be used for parking.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 1:26 AM

Like a Mercedes with flat tires': Anger boils over in New Orleans airport security lines Sunday

https://www.nola.com/news/article_e4...?mode=comments

Sounds like more hiccups at the airport. Hope they resolve this quickly.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 2:38 AM

We had no issues on Saturday at the airport. Took about 20 minutes to clear security. Noticed that several of the TSA lanes are still being finished, so any issues should be resolved when those are available. Right now only 10 lanes out of the 16 can be used until all of equipment is installed.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Right now only 10 lanes out of the 16 can be used until all of equipment is installed.
Were there really 10 lanes open? I heard from others that there were only 3 or 4 on opening day while the rest of the equipment was moved over. This would bring it up to 10. Eventually they could expand to more if necessary.

I'm flying out mid-week next week and worried about it because half of us don't have precheck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations