HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:03 AM

Isn't it owned by Motwani? In theory a height increase should be an easy sell, but their hotel project near there fell through because the demolition of historic structures was not allowed. That name doesn't exactly have a good reputation around town, so it's hard to imagine them getting approval to demolish the 150ish old building behind the facade.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Isn't it owned by Motwani? In theory a height increase should be an easy sell, but their hotel project near there fell through because the demolition of historic structures was not allowed. That name doesn't exactly have a good reputation around town, so it's hard to imagine them getting approval to demolish the 150ish old building behind the facade.
Yes it is ... hes looking for positive press by redoing all the properties he owns on canal i think

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:25 PM

Avondale redevelopment to be announced at 11 this morning:
https://www.nola.com/business/index....e_nears_c.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:54 PM

Another new aerial photo of the new airport terminal. Looks like roads and parking are really taking shape now.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
It’s a lot of wasted space on the lot. I’d be ok with a new building on a small part of Duncan Plaza fronting Loyola Ave., and turn the city hall lot into a new bigger park facing Poydras and Loyola.
Its always been my desire for the city to construct a new city hall annex and civil court building on Duncan Plaza, move city hall temporarily into that building, then renovate City Hall.

I would be nervous for the city to relocate city hall to another area and go through ANOTHER RFP process to redevelop Duncan Plaza.

"Civic Center" represents an important period of urban renewal and modernist planning and should be preserved.

Last edited by buckett5425; Oct 4, 2018 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The city just needs to commit to a full restoration of City Hall instead of shopping replacement ideas. It's really a great mid-century design, and a lot of the ideas in that building align with the latest thinking on green architecture. A top-to-bottom rehab of the building would be awesome. Just move the government offices into temporary space during the process.

Unforunately bureaucrats aren't architects, so when they see broken elevators, leaky pipes and A/C systems, the response is "tear it down!" We're going through the same thing right now in Chicago with the State of Illinois-owned Thompson Center.

But, New Orleanians turned up to protest the demolition of the WTC (which I never thought possible) so maybe there is public support for preserving modernism.
Yes exactly! It's such an underappreciated piece of Modernist architecture; and I can assure you that it definitely needs a top-to-bottom rehab - we need the political courage to rehab the building with top-of-the-line sustainable features!

And buckett5425 is right, the empty space on Duncan Plaza that we see the blaringly ugly parking garage wall needs to be developed - and a city hall annex is a great idea! The employees need more space (like a dining hall!) and having another building with direct relation to City Hall would definitely increase pedestrian access and ensure Duncan Plaza remains active for all residents.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Another new aerial photo of the new airport terminal. Looks like roads and parking are really taking shape now.

So most of this building ia going to sit there for a few months just waiting for the sewer to work i guess... well at least no tenants going to have an excuse to not be ready for opeming day including common use lounge... has anyone seem plams for the long term garage yet? Plans woukd be filed with kenner not the city so cant find them

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yes it is ... hes looking for positive press by redoing all the properties he owns on canal i think
It's cuz his son has taken an active role in ownership and development and from what I hear, he's much more open than his father

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccali1214 View Post
It's cuz his son has taken an active role in ownership and development and from what I hear, he's much more open than his father
Thats great to hear ..the street will look great and they will make more money as well ...win win

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
So most of this building ia going to sit there for a few months just waiting for the sewer to work i guess... well at least no tenants going to have an excuse to not be ready for opeming day including common use lounge... has anyone seem plams for the long term garage yet? Plans woukd be filed with kenner not the city so cant find them
The canopies at departures/arrivals need to cover the entire loading/unloading area. It appears to barely cover one lane and because its 12' in the air, that wont provide much protection during a heavy rain storm.

I think this will be the biggest complaint once the airport opens and I hope they don't propose a cheap looking solution.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
The canopies at departures/arrivals need to cover the entire loading/unloading area. It appears to barely cover one lane and because its 12' in the air, that wont provide much protection during a heavy rain storm.

I think this will be the biggest complaint once the airport opens and I hope they don't propose a cheap looking solution.
Guessing with the changes they are making seems like the airport agrees with you... i wonder what kind of coverage is planned from the long term garage to the terminal

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Guessing with the changes they are making seems like the airport agrees with you... i wonder what kind of coverage is planned from the long term garage to the terminal
Yeah expanding the canopies was stated as one of the projects they would be doing with the additional funding they just secured.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Yeah expanding the canopies was stated as one of the projects they would be doing with the additional funding they just secured.
I assume the airport was referring to the total length of the canopy, not the width of the overhang. The length of the departures canopy is noticeably shorter than the arrivals side, I think they intend to resolve the discrepancy.

In either case, the entire drive area should be covered, not just the sidewalk IMO.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
I assume the airport was referring to the total length of the canopy, not the width of the overhang. The length of the departures canopy is noticeably shorter than the arrivals side, I think they intend to resolve the discrepancy.

In either case, the entire drive area should be covered, not just the sidewalk IMO.
totally agree.. the drawings show some overhang onto the drive but im not sure that its enough

4001 Tulane Ave·New Construction · Ref Code: Q4SKV3
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
David Strokes
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/4/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Construct new commercial strip mall. Shell only. Tenants will fill out their own future permits

1320 Magazine St Ste 104·New Construction · Ref Code: XZFGWX
Download (7) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
John Guarnieri
Draft Application
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
1320 Magazine Suite 104. Restaurant fit out within new white box shell as part of multi-tenant commercial building. Suite

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 4, 2018 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:14 PM

Does anyone have any updates or news about what’s going on with the former LakeForest Plaza mall site and six flags site?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 11:47 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Quote:
Height limits on that block make more than a one or two story addition impossible
Certainly restrictions on height could be requested. The Sheraton one block over is 490 ft and 49 floors.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
It would be very nice to attract some new corporate offices. I really wish we can hear of a rumor or something just for the excitment lol.
Honest proposal: if other cities don’t want to be on the forefront of this technological industry in the US, might this be something NOLA could take advantage of? It could be tech, research, and tourism jobs all in one, and if we created an area of town just for it, we definitely would have to call it Storeyville.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...m-opening.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_tiger View Post
Certainly restrictions on height could be requested. The Sheraton one block over is 490 ft and 49 floors.
they have asked twice already and been shot down because people dislike the guy .. so improving his reputation can help!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 7:49 PM

Is there any talk on the Trade District?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeau View Post
Is there any talk on the Trade District?
Well there have been a few articles shared a while back... basically they have decided to prioritize the headquarters hotel and Convention Center BLVD redesign and put the rest on the back burner. Personally I think that is a mistake, because without residential, retail, and the riverfront park, the site is not attractive for the hotel and developers thus want big bucks to build it. So much so that the mayor has come out against the incentives, which range from 300 to 500 million, depending on who you ask. Understandable given the city's financial needs and that Harrah's was recently willing to write a check for $500 million to build a hotel and extend their contract.

If having a master developer didn't work, they should have went forward with the park and installing a street grid, and then lease lots to residential and retail developers, then the hotel wouldn't require such large incentives and the revenue from the other lots could probably fund any gaps to build the hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations