HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I agree with what you said excuse my previous brainfart. Ultimately I think removing the rampart corridor could help too. I often get the two confused, but basically Im not in favor of anything that creates more headaches for people to develop and create new business.

Well the VCC is a good organization in theory otherwise much of the Quarter's buildings would lie in ruins for parking lots or buildings would have vynal siding and plastic windows.

VCPORA is another story. I know the administrative head of VCPORA...and she's a very smart woman, however I sometimes agree and sometimes disagree with her. I don't see why historic character and preservation and business development seem to be so mutually exclusive after all many historic European cities seem to do it well.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:36 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Well the VCC is a good organization in theory otherwise much of the Quarter's buildings would lie in ruins for parking lots or buildings would have vynal siding and plastic windows.

VCPORA is another story. I know the administrative head of VCPORA...and she's a very smart woman, however I sometimes agree and sometimes disagree with her. I don't see why historic character and preservation and business development seem to be so mutually exclusive after all many historic European cities seem to do it well.
The problem is VCPORA isnt really about good architecture at all. Its just nimbyism. Not sure why europe does it better, maybe they dont have it any easier since I dont really follow that. Interesting to find out why but I think Krauss building recently is a perfect example of overreach as well as elisio in marigny. People fighting progress under the guise of neighborhood preservation in order to protect views, or prevent increased property values(strange but some people dont like that) or prevent any new traffic. Either way taking it out of a few vocal citizens hands and placing it with paid professionals could help. Ultimately clearer guidelines for what can and cant be built will eliminate this!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:52 PM
-

Decatur Street Mixed-Use

Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, March 25, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$275,000.00 2288
Address
305 Decatur St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Tenant improvements for a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design plans call for the conversion of a residential building into a mixed-use development to provide for retail, office and residential space.

The architect is currently in the process of drawing plans for this project. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in the spring of 2013 at the earliest. A general contractor will be selected in the first quarter of 2013.

Cafe Habana / New Orleans

Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, March 4, 2013
Estimated Value*
$500,000.00
Address
1040 Esplanade Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70116
Orleans County
Description Site work and new construction of a restaurant in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a Cuban restaurant.

This project is currently undergoing design review. It is unknown at this time whether this project will be negotiated or if it will be competitively bid to general contractors. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin around March 2013.

Milton H. Latter Library Phase II Renovations

Project Type Building Use Status
Renovation Library GC Bidding
Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Public Friday, January 4, 2013 Monday, February 4, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage Solicitation #
$1,000,000.00 12000 2285-01408
Address
5120 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70115
Orleans County
Description Bid Number: 2285-01408
Description: Milton H. Latter Library Phase II Renovations
Bid Opening Date: 01/04/2013 02:00:00 PM
Purchaser: Bernice Ealy
Organization: City of New Orleans
Department: 2285 - CAO CAPITAL PROJECTS
Fiscal Year: 12
Type Code: Allow
Electronic Quote: Yes

Available Date : 12/03/2012 03:00:00 PM
Info Contact: Contact Kevin Morgan at (504) 658-8682
Bid Type: OPEN Informal Bid Flag: No
Purchase Method: Open Market

Pre Bid Conference: A non-mandatory pre-bid conference that will be held on, December 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm in the Purchasing Conf. Room, #4W05, 4th Fl. City Hall, 1300 Perdido St., New Orleans, LA 70112 .

Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer Celebrates Groundbreaking for Construction of New Path Along the Algiers Levee

http://www.nolacitycouncil.com/content/display.asp?id=54&nid={FFE54E63-038F-4A97-9DD7-B7039E2F1821}

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:05 PM

Quote:
The problem is VCPORA isnt really about good architecture at all. Its just nimbyism. Not sure why europe does it better, maybe they dont have it any easier since I dont really follow that. Interesting to find out why but I think Krauss building recently is a perfect example of overreach as well as elisio in marigny. People fighting progress under the guise of neighborhood preservation in order to protect views, or prevent increased property values(strange but some people dont like that) or prevent any new traffic. Either way taking it out of a few vocal citizens hands and placing it with paid professionals could help. Ultimately clearer guidelines for what can and cant be built will eliminate this!
I understand the Marigny tower development issue if only from the standpoint that they wanted a waiver on height restriction. I didn't agree with that at all, and I'm glad that was stopped.

Having said that, other projects such as this restaurant...would make a valuable addition to New Orleans. Rampart needs development.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
I understand the Marigny tower development issue if only from the standpoint that they wanted a waiver on height restriction. I didn't agree with that at all, and I'm glad that was stopped.

Having said that, other projects such as this restaurant...would make a valuable addition to New Orleans. Rampart needs development.
I only agreed with the Marigny waiver because it was on elysian fields.. the heights of buildings on that street should be a bit taller also. He was actually lowering the far of the possible development to allow it feel less imposing. Sometimes a lil more height for less bulk is a good trade off.

Professional Architectural & Engineering for the Canal Streetcar and Bus Transfer Terminal
Public Friday, January 4, 2013 Friday, January 3, 2014
Estimated Value*
$1,000,000.00
Address
Canal Boulevard
New Orleans, LA 70119
Orleans County

Description NOTICE - - - NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY (RTA) PUBLIC NOTICE Professional Architectural & Engineering for the Canal Streetcar and Bus Transfer Terminal at Canal Blvd. RFQ 2012-018 PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The New Orleans Regional Transit Authority is seeking submittals from qualified firms for Professional Architectural and Engineering Services required for the Canal Streetcar and Bus Transfer Terminal at Canal Blvd. OBTAINING A COPY OF THE RFQ

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Professional Architectural & Engineering for the Canal Streetcar and Bus Transfer Terminal
Public Friday, January 4, 2013 Friday, January 3, 2014
Estimated Value*
$1,000,000.00
Address
Canal Boulevard
New Orleans, LA 70119
Orleans County

Description NOTICE - - - NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY (RTA) PUBLIC NOTICE Professional Architectural & Engineering for the Canal Streetcar and Bus Transfer Terminal at Canal Blvd. RFQ 2012-018 PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The New Orleans Regional Transit Authority is seeking submittals from qualified firms for Professional Architectural and Engineering Services required for the Canal Streetcar and Bus Transfer Terminal at Canal Blvd. OBTAINING A COPY OF THE RFQ
Instead of extending the streetcar line to the beginning of Canal Blvd to be closer to the bus hub, the bus hub should be moved to City Park Ave, near the train tracks. That way, when nola finally gets a train line to the airport, this transportation hub (busses/streetcar line) can be a stop along the way.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Instead of extending the streetcar line to the beginning of Canal Blvd to be closer to the bus hub, the bus hub should be moved to City Park Ave, near the train tracks. That way, when nola finally gets a train line to the airport, this transportation hub (busses/streetcar line) can be a stop along the way.
Wouldn't a train to the airport use the Airline corridor vs going all the way to City Park Av and having to double back?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Wouldn't a train to the airport use the Airline corridor vs going all the way to City Park Av and having to double back?
Your right Airline earhart corridor is the most likely avenue. The train tracks by canal are likely to be decomissioned in a few years!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:53 AM
TL;DR

Nope; Amtrak trains still need to get out of the city going east. The Back Belt may be decommissioned through Old Metairie but the line that parallels I-10 might even be expanded.

Honestly, I hope that the Back Belt is not closed and reserved for a light rail or commuter line; it runs through the middle of Old Metairie which is possibly the only walkable place in East Jefferson, where they could do some nice TOD.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 PM
-

Here is a lot information on the new Magonlia MarketPlace... this will be a nice large commercial development on Claiborne and Toledano. Also, Raising Canes finally opening up inside the city!

New Bar Lounge from Bulldog/Velvet Cactus Folks:

Look of the Le Parker Meridien:

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:33 AM

That is a fantastic catalyst for further investment in Central City. It will also provide job opportunities to residents in the neighborhood, and keep additional tax dollars in the city. Simply awesome. I hope we see additional developments like this around town.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:35 AM

Also...it would be fantastic if the retail anchor were a Target.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 9:37 AM
TL;DR

Haha you read my mind. I think this is more than likely. Target has committed to serving urban markets, and that glass double-height corner looks very similar to entrances on their new urban stores in Chicago. They're also known for being very secretive about new locations, so they won't allow the developer to disclose anything until they're ready to make the Big Announcement - but they probably have an agreement, since all those other stores wouldn't sign on without a committed anchor.

That said... this site plan sucks. I'd rather see the stores arranged around an atrium in a mall configuration. This looks like a strip mall mated with an airport terminal.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Haha you read my mind. I think this is more than likely. Target has committed to serving urban markets, and that glass double-height corner looks very similar to entrances on their new urban stores in Chicago. They're also known for being very secretive about new locations, so they won't allow the developer to disclose anything until they're ready to make the Big Announcement - but they probably have an agreement, since all those other stores wouldn't sign on without a committed anchor.

That said... this site plan sucks. I'd rather see the stores arranged around an atrium in a mall configuration. This looks like a strip mall mated with an airport terminal.
It is strange. I have never seen anything really like it. I wonder why they did not push the stores to the front and the parking to the back? Is this a better design for the neighbors to the rear of the store?

The Le Meridien is the current JW Marriott, right? No real objections to the new entry area, although I guess it would be nice to keep as much of Canal Street area contiguous and unbroken and to keep the sidewalks clear of as many curb cuts as possible.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 4:15 PM

With that, The Blue Crab, and the yet unnamed place under construction between the condo complex and The Blue Crab the lakefront looks like it is coming along nice. Now I really wish they would do something with the former Jagers site.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 4:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
It is strange. I have never seen anything really like it. I wonder why they did not push the stores to the front and the parking to the back? Is this a better design for the neighbors to the rear of the store?

The Le Meridien is the current JW Marriott, right? No real objections to the new entry area, although I guess it would be nice to keep as much of Canal Street area contiguous and unbroken and to keep the sidewalks clear of as many curb cuts as possible.
No this Is where the current w is . Jw Marriott was a Le meridien before though. So this will be second time Le meridien in Nola.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 6:08 PM

Le Meridien is a great brand and I've been impressed by every one I've stayed at, both in the US and Europe. It's good to see it re-established in New Orleans. Starwood did a great job with the W French Quarter renovation so I imagine this will be top notch as well.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 8:24 PM
-

Guste III Community Administration Building

Sector Est. Start Date
Public Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Estimated Value*
$30,000,000.00
Address
4100 Touro St
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County
Description New construction of a multi-residential development on New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the new construction of 155 new affordable housing units comprised of duplexes, triplexes, sixplexes and one large 49-unit building.

The site work package has been let out. General contractor bidding for vertical construction is expected to commence in 2013. Interested parties can direct any inquiries to the architect.

Tulane research facility to feature startup incubator space

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgRLHQah

Young entrepreneurs attending Tulane University will have access to a working laboratory space at a new building on campus.

Tulane officials said today that in order to attract top researchers and faculty, the Donna and Paul Flower Hall for Research and Innovation will have incubator space for emerging companies primarily in the bioscience and chemical engineering sectors.

The $7.4 million facility will open officially this week with a dedication ceremony being held at 3:30
p.m. Tuesday. The building features 15 research labs as well as study rooms, offices and gathering areas on each floor.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgREuKOK

Citadel Builders offers low bid on new McDonogh 35 (access required)

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgTFmCSU

A complete rebuild of McDonogh 35 High School, at its new location on Harrison Avenue in the Bayou St. John neighborhood, is one of six school projects that went out for bid late last month. The project is also the most expensive of the six out for bid.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgTBGALZ

Sushi spot to open in DH Holmes building

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgUuR0Xd

V Restaurant Group LLC is planning to open a sushi restaurant and nightclub next month in the DH Holmes apartment building at 810 Bienville.

The 7,260-square-foot French Quarter space has been without a tenant for decades, HRI Properties Vice President Mark Maher
said.

“It has very little street presence,” Maher said. “The other challenge is it recesses deep into the building.”

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgUoE2Nb

Theo’s Pizza partners consider more expansion
Theo’s Neighborhood Pizza is expanding its presence with the opening of a third location at Elmwood Shopping Center. Co-owner James "Jammer" Orintas said he and partners Greg Dietz and Ted Neikirk are currently scouting potential future locations in the Central Business District, on the West Bank and in Baton Rouge.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgWPpbfT

Energy analysts expect more Louisiana pipeline projects

Construction of a new, 141-mile pipeline passing under Lake Pontchartrain has largely flown under the radar since crews started laying the first stretch of pipe in August. But south Louisiana could see a wave of similar projects as existing infrastructure ages and refineries increase their output.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgWtPlaR

South African company considers $21B plant in Louisiana

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgXWj5YL

South African chemicals and energy company Sasol Ltd. said it could spend up to $21 billion to build a complex in Louisiana to turn natural gas into diesel, other fuels and chemicals.

The company said today it will begin initial engineering work on a long-discussed complex in Westlake that will use domestic natural gas, which is among the cheapest in the world, to make higher-value chemicals and fuels.

The company plans to first spend $5 billion to $7 billion on a chemical plant and later add an $11 billion to $14 billion gas-to-liquids plant that will turn natural gas into diesel.

The complex, if built, will employ 7,000 construction workers during peak construction and 1,200 permanent workers, the company said

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgXRZ0TI

F.H. Myers submits low bid for new clinic at Methodist site
(access required)
POSTED: 03:32 PM Monday, December 10, 2012
BY: Greg LaRose, Editor
TAGS: clinic, Daughters of Charity, Maureen Larkins, Methodist Hospital, New Orleans Construction is expected to begin by the end of the year on a new $5.4 million two-story clinic on Read Boulevard.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgkFwL2Q

City adds 105 taxi permits

The city of New Orleans announced today it will add to the city’s taxi fleet by issuing 105 new certificates of public necessity and convenience, which are necessary to legally operate for-hire vehicles.

The move will increase the number of taxis on the street to about 1,550, assuming the number of approved applications matches the number of available new certificates. According to a press release, 75 of the new certificates will be reserved for operators with independently financed vehicles. The remainder will go to existing companies, with no more than five being given to a single company.

The city will weigh vehicle age, experience, disability access and applicant residence, among other considerations, when processing applications.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2EgkoOsh1

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 9:57 PM

Re: Magnolia shopping center. Looks great! I've thought for years that Claiborne's best potential was to be the city's downscale version of Veterans. Looks like its finally happening! And it's nice to have a part of town where you dont have to worry too much about things like streetscape because it's so horribly screwed up already... :-/ Questions: I don't see a space for any unnamed anchor stores. Am I missing it? Are they really tearing down Popeyes Subway? And that church looks so out of place. I wonder if it could be moved to one of the vacant lots on Louisiana between Freret and Claiborne?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
Re: Magnolia shopping center. Looks great! I've thought for years that Claiborne's best potential was to be the city's downscale version of Veterans. Looks like its finally happening! And it's nice to have a part of town where you dont have to worry too much about things like streetscape because it's so horribly screwed up already... :-/ Questions: I don't see a space for any unnamed anchor stores. Am I missing it? Are they really tearing down Popeyes Subway? And that church looks so out of place. I wonder if it could be moved to one of the vacant lots on Louisiana between Freret and Claiborne?
The first level has about 50,000 square feet of retail with no tenant yet. subway will be torn down for Raising Canes. Taco Bell is already under construction in front of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations