HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I'm curious on this walking by everyday, since the facade of the old part collapsed that they were going to re-use in the front, I wonder if they're going to build a recreation? It was a really cool part of this (the facade next door is identical to what collapsed)
im guessing so .. they filed for a CU for a wine bar /wine shop in that collapsed part... will be really cute when done and thats not really a hard building to recreate

This is opening on Poydras in the ground floor of the Dave and Busters Garage:

1200 Poydras St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:F7DARA
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Lanco Construction Inc.
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/24/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior build out of an indoor amusement facility - hatchet throwing

https://stumpyshh.com/learn/about/

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 6, 2019 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:19 PM
-

The Garage:

went on a ULI tour of The Garage last night.. really cool reuse of the garage and the car elevator is certainly something else to experience .. very unique project!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:24 PM
-

The Garage Part 2:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:25 PM

City Hall/auditorium

City Hall/auditorium

There’s still a large sum of unused FEMA money that is attached to the auditorium. This auditorium also qualifies for historic state and federal tax credits. IMHO these 2 things alone makes the site VERY attractive for City Hall to redevelop the site.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:35 PM
-

The Garage Part 3:

Video from the car elevator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHC7LNKyavI

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampart38 View Post
City Hall/auditorium

There’s still a large sum of unused FEMA money that is attached to the auditorium. This auditorium also qualifies for historic state and federal tax credits. IMHO these 2 things alone makes the site VERY attractive for City Hall to redevelop the site.
Thats true but I think the current city hall qualifies for some Fema and historic tax credits... since historic tax credits are base on existing spaces.. the current city hall has more existing square footage that qualifies for tax credits... i think it will all come down to whether or not the city wants to relocated to an area away from a lot of the existing infrastructure or not... all the ancillary private business located around current city hall ... my guess is thats a tough gamble to take

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:41 PM
-

The Odeon:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:34 PM

New Fisher House will give veterans' families a free place to stay in New Orleans during treatment

https://www.nola.com/news/healthcare...a243994e5.html

Officials broke ground Tuesday on Fisher House of Southern Louisiana, marking the start of construction on a home away from home for veterans receiving treatment at the New Orleans VA Medical Center.

"Military service is part of the culture here. Having a Fisher House is vital because it serves the unique culture of Louisiana," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie, a New Orleans native who made the trip from Washington, D.C., to lead the groundbreaking ceremony.

The 14,000-square-foot home, which is expected to be completed within 15 months, will be able to serve 16 families of veterans at the VA campus on Canal Street.

It is part of a network of more than 80 similar facilities built through a partnership between Fisher House Foundation and the departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

New Orleans was chosen by the foundation from a list of possible new facilities provided by the VA. About $600,000 of the $1 million goal to complete the project has been raised. After construction is complete, Fisher House hands over management of the facility to the VA.

http://www.sjlmag.com/2019/06/louisi...e-set-for.html

In other news from the Medical District, expect to see construction soon on a 2nd garage for UMC off Tulane ave (looks like they are doing test pilings currently). Next to current garage on Tulane avenue, on claiborne side in the green space.

http://www.nbbj.com/work/university-medical-center/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:51 PM

Out of curiosity how old is City Hall?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Out of curiosity how old is City Hall?

It was actually designed as part of a careful master plan, to create an axis along Rampart/Elk Place between Canal and City Hall.

You can't see it now because of heavy tree cover, but City Hall used to be very visible from Canal.

http://nutrias.org/~nopl/photos/stre...s_loyola02.jpg

The idea was to create a modernist version of the Civic Center in San Francisco:
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos...re-id969245644

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:15 AM

What's with the 1960s ranch Jefferson parish suburban architecture of the housing in front of the VA? Or am I just totally misinterpreting it?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
City Hall/auditorium

The City has quietly been having studies performed over the last few months to determine the impact of relocating city hall to the auditorium. From my understanding it’s the route that they want to take despite what they announce publicly or float around. I suppose we’ll see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
What's with the 1960s ranch Jefferson parish suburban architecture of the housing in front of the VA? Or am I just totally misinterpreting it?
Non-profit builds these at VAs across the country. Looks like the design of all of them are somewhat standardized but not exactly identical

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:41 AM

Anyone made it out to the new airport terminal yet? I was pleasantly surprised to see no traffic flowing smoothly at the Loyola Dr exit at 5:30 in the evening. I expected it to be total cluster ****. Anyway, I must soy that the site is rather impressive at ground level even though the terminal looks a lot smaller than I expected. Traffic in the arrivals area was just as bad as it used to be in the south terminal. It’s a much need improvement, but it looks like it’s close to already being overcapacity.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:10 AM

It sounds like a major issue with the back-up was a mis-timing of the taxi and rideshare pickups. That should get resolved as the taxi minders figure out traffic demands.

More good news in terms of economic development. Nice to the some biomedical companies doing well enough to grow here.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...5db5c094b.html

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
The City has quietly been having studies performed over the last few months to determine the impact of relocating city hall to the auditorium. From my understanding it’s the route that they want to take despite what they announce publicly or float around. I suppose we’ll see what happens.
I get the city preferring this route from the perspective of only having to move once.. current city hall rehab would require two moves

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

In other news from the Medical District, expect to see construction soon on a 2nd garage for UMC off Tulane ave (looks like they are doing test pilings currently). Next to current garage on Tulane avenue, on claiborne side in the green space.

http://www.nbbj.com/work/university-medical-center/
Do you know what the design of this garage will be and if it will have ground floor commercial space by chance? thanks

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:51 PM

I have to say, I think the interiors of the units at The Garage look terrible. It will be interesting to see what those are actually used for, or their sales prices.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:08 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch Basin View Post
I have to say, I think the interiors of the units at The Garage look terrible. It will be interesting to see what those are actually used for, or their sales prices.
I kinda agree. The garage door thing is really gimmicky and the finishes look cheap, especially for what they're asking. That hallway with ceiling tiles and cheap carpet.. Lord. But at least an abandoned building isn't vacant

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:19 PM
-

1020 Annunciation St·HDLC COA · Ref Code:TB4CE4
Download (12) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Vanessa Smith-Torres
HDLC CBD ARC Meeting
Date Filed:
3/21/2017
Closed:
No
Description:
New construction of a 7-story, hotel building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations