HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaghost View Post
Yeah! Flying across the Atlantic at end of June and was really hoping to use it. Can't wait!

Noticed this morning that a few service trucks were in the parking lot of the future Virgin hotel, marking it and labeling things. I asked if they were prepping the site for the hotel construction, but those guys said they don't know anything
Most certainly thats what they are doing since the permit was issued and paid for recently... will be a nice addition to that neighborhood I think!

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:42 PM

Interesting bit at the end of this article about a Baton Rouge office tower redevelopment:
https://www.businessreport.com/newsl...se-south-tower
Quote:
Wampold one step away from beginning construction on Chase South Tower
Phase one of the project entails redeveloping the top five floors of the building into 75 high-end, multifamily units that could be completed and ready to lease by summer 2020. They will be the first of some 150 units planned for the top 10 floors of the building.

Future plans also call for renovating existing office space in the 330,000-square-foot building, and adding new ground-floor retail space on the plaza, a bricked-in walkway that flanks the building on its Fourth and Fifth street sides.
Wampold has a similar project in the works in downtown New Orleans, but is not yet ready to disclose the building because it is still under contract and the sale has not yet closed.
Of course begs the question of which office tower he's looking at. The Plaza Tower and 1010 Common would seem to be the most likely candidates. Plaza is certainly best suited to a mix of residential and office, and we know there have been plans in the works to add hotels to 1010 Common - not sure if that fell through or not.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Interesting bit at the end of this article about a Baton Rouge office tower redevelopment:
https://www.businessreport.com/newsl...se-south-tower

Of course begs the question of which office tower he's looking at. The Plaza Tower and 1010 Common would seem to be the most likely candidates. Plaza is certainly best suited to a mix of residential and office, and we know there have been plans in the works to add hotels to 1010 Common - not sure if that fell through or not.
Interesting.. he did just sell 144 Elk... Id say its not the Plaza Tower because Jaeger never sells anything and ego wise would never allow someone else to redevelop such a prominent tower in the skyline... my guess is it could be whitneys old office building.. thats really only thing available... because Kailas and Jaeger dont sell stuff

Last edited by tennis1400; May 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:37 PM
-

looks like construction should be wrapped up for virgin hotel in spring 2021

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:19 PM

Judging by those airport pics, I am surprised they waited until a few weeks before the May opening date to announce it was delayed again. Pretty apparent from the pics that there was no chance they'd meet that date. It's also apparent that the previous delay was not all about the sewer line.

I planned flight times for a few trips this summer hoping to be able to use the new Priority Pass lounge, but hopefully it will be all worth it when it finally does open.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Judging by those airport pics, I am surprised they waited until a few weeks before the May opening date to announce it was delayed again. Pretty apparent from the pics that there was no chance they'd meet that date. It's also apparent that the previous delay was not all about the sewer line.

I planned flight times for a few trips this summer hoping to be able to use the new Priority Pass lounge, but hopefully it will be all worth it when it finally does open.
No doubt about it which is why its so confusing things got there to begin with... i guess on the bright side when this thing does open ... everything will be open not just some things and thankfully the long term garage will be open too

Last edited by tennis1400; May 23, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

looks like construction should be wrapped up for virgin hotel in spring 2021
Yep, saw the ground breaking ceremony setup this morning over there.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Interesting.. he did just sell 144 Elk... Id say its not the Plaza Tower because Jaeger never sells anything and ego wise would never allow someone else to redevelop such a prominent tower in the skyline... my guess is it could be whitneys old office building.. thats really only thing available... because Kailas and Jaeger dont sell stuff

Oh yeah I forgot about that building. That would make more sense than Plaza or 1010 Common.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:54 AM

Richard Branson's Virgin Hotel opening in New Orleans in 2021; hotel will cost $80M,

Virgin Group's idiosyncratic founder, Richard Branson, shoveled dirt with Mayor LaToya Cantrell on Thursday to symbolically mark the start of construction on a new 230-room Virgin Hotel, which is slated to open in 2021.

The $80 million project, going up at 550 Baronne St. on the corner of Layette Street in the Warehouse District, is a joint venture with Maryland-based Buccini/Pollin Group, which is also in partnership with Virgin Hotels on a project in Nashville, Tennessee. The New Orleans hotel, which will be managed by Virgin Hotels and jointly owned with BPG, will be the seventh Virgin Hotel to open in the U.S. The group has hotels in Chicago and San Francisco and eight others at various stages of construction or planning.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...f577913da.html

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:18 AM
-

Cool deal but was it me that Si Richard seemed a little off ... lol oh well still exciting to see it moving forward... will be a great addition to the city

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:29 AM

I’m glad to see construction on Virgin hotel is starting but I wish it was taller to make the building stand out amongst other buildings near by

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:44 AM

It was a fight just to get it to the height it is now. Original zoning would have capped the building at 10 floors. They managed to get a waiver through the city council to go to 14 floors.

Here are some updated pics and other info from https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

Residence Inn on St. Charles

Hard Rock Hotel

City Hall will be adding offices to the 9th and 10th floors of the of the old VA Hospital.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:38 PM
-

Someone was asking about the morning call/buds broiler development being 2 or three stories.. its planned for three.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:40 PM

[QUOTE=SlidellWx;8582959]It was a fight just to get it to the height it is now. Original zoning would have capped the building at 10 floors. They managed to get a waiver through the city council to go to 14 floors.

I think that is just crazy, having zoning law is ok for parts of the city like the French quarter but have it almost every where is kinda crazy. The way I see it is everything from canal st. to the bridge that crosses the river that area of land should not have a height limit bc New Orleans can’t really grow out anymore so we have to grow up and if the city is putting these Caps on building at 10 floors that’s not that high. I really wish the city would change there zoning and height laws

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:48 PM
-

[QUOTE=Jeau;8583512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
It was a fight just to get it to the height it is now. Original zoning would have capped the building at 10 floors. They managed to get a waiver through the city council to go to 14 floors.

I think that is just crazy, having zoning law is ok for parts of the city like the French quarter but have it almost every where is kinda crazy. The way I see it is everything from canal st. to the bridge that crosses the river that area of land should not have a height limit bc New Orleans can’t really grow out anymore so we have to grow up and if the city is putting these Caps on building at 10 floors that’s not that high. I really wish the city would change there zoning and height laws
Some people are just really hard to deal with but that parcel can easily handle 20 floors at least

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 9:17 PM

[QUOTE=Jeau;8583512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post

I totally agree with you, I hope the city can change the zoning laws soon.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:03 PM
-

Heard a rumor about a new project supposedly being announced in the next 30 days thats around 38 stories.. apparently will be similar to state palace hotel (so this new building would be built atop an existing smaller one in the CBD)... just curious if anyone has heard anything or not? again a rumor but from someone reputable enough for me to ask around?

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Heard a rumor about a new project supposedly being announced in the next 30 days thats around 38 stories.. apparently will be similar to state palace hotel (so this new building would be built atop an existing smaller one in the CBD)... just curious if anyone has heard anything or not? again a rumor but from someone reputable enough for me to ask around?
I haven't heard anything, but love to speculate on such a potentially large project. A few possibilities off the top of my head:
Harrah's Hotel - this would fit the bill of building on top of another, but not really historic. IIRC it was proposed as a much smaller building, about 20 floors, but I wouldn't be surprised if they scaled it up given the location.

400 Block of Canal - there was a pretty large hotel proposed a while back, but that included tearing down a bunch of historic buildings. The location would certainly make sense for that size if they can incorporate the older structures.

Parking lot surrounding the Orpheum - certainly large enough to build a substantial tower and could potentially incorporate the buildings damaged by fire on Canal St.

400, 500, or 800 blocks of Poydras - all partially occupied by smaller older buildings. 500 block was once proposed for a 70 floor Trump tower, so the scale wouldn't be out of place

Canal Place - wouldn't necessarily require building over other buildings, not really historic, but a prime location for that size of a tower.

Several blocks partially occupied by historic buildings in the area bound by Poydras, Loyola, Gravier and O'Keefe, I'd also add the one adjacent to the Energy Centre. Not sure if the demand would be there to warrant a 38 floor building, but the area is certainly picking up with the SMD nearby.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
There is a proposal in the works for the 400 block of Canal Street. Its being pitched to the city that renovation of the Sanlin Building is contingent on the tower being approved and the three existing buildings being demolished. Apple had signed a letter of intent to occupy a ground floor suite, however I am unsure of the current status.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
There is a proposal in the works for the 400 block of Canal Street. Its being pitched to the city that renovation of the Sanlin Building is contingent on the tower being approved and the three existing buildings being demolished. Apple had signed a letter of intent to occupy a ground floor suite, however I am unsure of the current status.
That certainly wouldn't surprise me, but sounds like an incredibly poor strategy (which also doesn't surprise me). I don't see any way the demolition of those buildings will ever be approved, no matter how large the proposal. And I really don't think the current council will take kindly to the idea of holding one building hostage (Sanlin) over another project, especially since the Sanlin was already supposedly going to be redeveloped.

I personally would oppose such a project because there's no guarantee you'd get the big shiny tower once the older buildings are demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations