HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 4:01 AM

Wow, I just noticed how much 1911 Walnut would change the skyline when viewed from my every day commute to school (West Chester Pike), along with how 1301 Market would change it from the S/SE (My favorite view is the WW Bridge by FAR.).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 4:30 AM

From the west doesn't FMC already fill the space where 1911 Walnut will be? Would love to see the West Chester Pike view today.

Last edited by GtownFriend; Aug 15, 2017 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:38 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I wasn't referencing height particularly. Just mentioning that the skyline is quite thin going north-south. Doesn't mean it's not a good one.....
Yep, and our larger brother to the north is similar from a viewing/skyline/ratio perspective. Looking at Manhattan straight on from the perspective of the Financial District, say from Governors Island, the city looks much thinner than when viewing it from Secaucus (West side) or Jackson Heights (East side).

The same could be said about Chicago, Miami....

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
From the west doesn't FMC already fill the space where 1911 Walnut will be? Would love to see the West Chester view today.
You can see the skyline from West Chester?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
You can see the skyline from West Chester?
The comment was relative to a photo taken from West Chester Pike (@ State Rd).. not West Chester itself.. sorry for any confusion

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
If you actually look at it, highrises literally only stretch a couple blocks going north-south, especially in certain spots.
If "a couple" is defined as 7-8 blocks, then I think we agree. Even if you are only counting trophy towers, that's still 4 blocks.

I think we all agree that the skyline is aligned along Market Street but this whole "thin" argument is a bit strange. Does everyone realizes that if the skyline was as wide N-S as E-W, we'd rival places like Toronto and Chicago. Is that really the standard you guys are using?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
If "a couple" is defined as 7-8 blocks, then I think we agree. Even if you are only counting trophy towers, that's still 4 blocks.

I think we all agree that the skyline is aligned along Market Street but this whole "thin" argument is a bit strange. Does everyone realizes that if the skyline was as wide N-S as E-W, we'd rival places like Toronto and Chicago. Is that really the standard you guys are using?
Why so defensive buddy? You can literally drive by the N-S axis in like 15 seconds on 76. Walking doesn't take much longer in some parts. One thing I like about UCity is a lot of the development extends from North to South while simultaneously spreading west. It's not necessarily the skyline either. The urban fabric is pretty thin going north-south too, particularly going north. South is fairly cohesive though in a lot of spots even once you're outside downtown.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:16 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Here I was hoping somebody had news about the building this thread is about instead of skyline dick-measuring ...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Here I was hoping somebody had news about the building this thread is about instead of skyline dick-measuring ...
If you had followed along earlier, you would have known we aren't gonna hear news about this till at least next year lol.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 2:30 AM

Quote:
If you had followed along earlier, you would have known we aren't gonna hear news about this till at least next year lol.

....But I wasn't taking courses in micro biology to listen to lectures about english lit .
If there is no pertinent information regarding this particular project , please don't change the subject .

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:15 PM
build awesome buildings

it looks as if Oliver Tyrone Pulver has added a hotel component to this according to their main page: http://otpcorp.com/index.html#

the hotel hasn’t been mentioned in previous articles posted here, so hopefully progress is being made. if you click through to the 1301 page, there’s also a pretty cool rendering showing city hall/SE-facing view.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
it looks as if Oliver Tyrone Pulver has added a hotel component to this according to their main page: http://otpcorp.com/index.html#

the hotel hasn’t been mentioned in previous articles posted here, so hopefully progress is being made. if you click through to the 1301 page, there’s also a pretty cool rendering showing city hall/SE-facing view.
Interesting. Square footage hasn't changed so this would take away from the commercial space.

Not hard to understand, but man the 2 block radius around City Hall is packed with hotels

Ritz
Marriott
Residence Inn
Courtyard
W
Element
Le Meridien
Aloft
Westin
Loews
**This hotel

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post

Hope so. Cute how they call 1301 Market "the only available office tower in the Philadelphia Central Business District." If it actually happens, perhaps that is true. Space in the Comcasts are spoken for. So is Aramark's new headquarters. Most of our office space is aging.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Hope so. Cute how they call 1301 Market "the only available office tower in the Philadelphia Central Business District." If it actually happens, perhaps that is true. Space in the Comcasts are spoken for. So is Aramark's new headquarters. Most of our office space is aging.
Or it's being built in University City.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:33 PM

Makes sense near the convention center. I just hope it doesn't negatively affect the Girard Estate rehab., but I guess filling in the parking lot would be a higher good if the GE building has to remain as is.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:47 PM

Would be very prominent right there.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:41 PM

Said before i think, but a SOM designed building next to the Art Deco Market St. National Bank building, and across the street from the Wanamaker Building, and in the shadows of City Hall, really would be a terrific contrast-- skyscraper history/eras all clustered so close. Hope it happens.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Said before i think, but a SOM designed building next to the Art Deco Market St. National Bank building, and across the street from the Wanamaker Building, and in the shadows of City Hall, really would be a terrific contrast-- skyscraper history/eras all clustered so close. Hope it happens.
Yup ...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Or it's being built in University City.
well a lot is PLANNED in UC but nothing really major is under construction beyond 3665 Market which is a relatively small office building by CC standards.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:31 PM

It's good to at least see something new about this building. After all, it had been since August that we heard anything last. I'm not so sure about the hotel part though - we seem to have quite enough already. Insert joke about SLS being dead here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals