HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 3:33 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Smoke's Poutinerie

Something I noticed walking down Blowers Street a couple of days ago.

I guess these guys make some wicked poutine and are already pretty well established in southern Ontario and Toronto-area and have a couple other locations, one in Winnipeg, as well as a couple in Quebec, this is one of 2 they've got listed as "new" in Atlantic Canada, here and one in St. Johns. I can't wait to try them out.

Their door and website both say they'll be open Oct. 2011. Hours are 11am till 11 early in the week, till 3am later in the week and 4am on fri and sat, so it's fitting in well with the neighbourhood as it's just a few doors down from Pizza Corner, lol. Their website is here http://smokespoutinerie.com/

omnomnomnom

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Awesome! I can't wait to try this. I do love my poutine.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:29 PM
You talkin' to me?

So Im guessing from that window that you can just walk up to it an order like with a food truck? If so thats pretty cool lol.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 4:21 PM
hi

I read about this place the other day in this article: http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1268012.html

Looks like this area is shaping up to be "poutine corner" right next to pizza corner.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 4:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Something I noticed walking down Blowers Street a couple of days ago.

I guess these guys make some wicked poutine and are already pretty well established in southern Ontario and Toronto-area and have a couple other locations, one in Winnipeg, as well as a couple in Quebec, this is one of 2 they've got listed as "new" in Atlantic Canada, here and one in St. Johns. I can't wait to try them out.

Their door and website both say they'll be open Oct. 2011. Hours are 11am till 11 early in the week, till 3am later in the week and 4am on fri and sat, so it's fitting in well with the neighbourhood as it's just a few doors down from Pizza Corner, lol. Their website is here http://smokespoutinerie.com/

omnomnomnom
Hate to say it but that place (we have one in London) is a poor substitute for the artery-clogging real mcCoy to be had at several Montreal-area greasy spoons, such as La Banquise.

http://www.restolabanquise.com/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:48 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Anyone have a chance to try this if it's open? I forgot to check when I was down there for a Pita Pit a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:46 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Hate to say it but that place (we have one in London) is a poor substitute for the artery-clogging real mcCoy to be had at several Montreal-area greasy spoons, such as La Banquise.

http://www.restolabanquise.com/
You are correct sir. Halifax poutine is a joke... they use mozza and not curds. Plus, I support the place across the street, Willies.

That being said, you can't find a real donair anywhere else... hence the tradeoff.

La Banquise IS poutine.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:53 PM

Yes we have a bunch of these in Toronto. I am not a fan, the gravy is a strange beef-chicken mixture and just tastes off. I've eaten twice I can't bring myself to try it a third time. They do offer many types and options of toppings so maybe its just a matter of finding that 'perfect match'

Enjoy its always busy here, even though its not great poutine. Smoke's has a big following especially after the bar.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:57 PM
we built this city

I don't like the hipster branding as well. F that shit.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 12:37 AM

Agreed the hole package looks unappealing. Specially the branding, who came up with that? A weird image of a Bill Gates lookalike plastered on too random body's with plad? I think ill keep clear.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 11:06 PM

Looks like it'll be a perfect addition to Pizza Corner. Can't wait to try it when I get back.

edit: read the rest of the posts. You guys really killed that buzz quick, lol.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Yes we have a bunch of these in Toronto. I am not a fan, the gravy is a strange beef-chicken mixture and just tastes off. I've eaten twice I can't bring myself to try it a third time. They do offer many types and options of toppings so maybe its just a matter of finding that 'perfect match'

Enjoy its always busy here, even though its not great poutine. Smoke's has a big following especially after the bar.
You're right. The gravy is weird and not very good. Almost like too sweet. Willies is much better!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
You are correct sir. Halifax poutine is a joke... they use mozza and not curds.
Same way in St. John's. I ate at a place once that used a kraft single instead of curds. I often say the best place to get poutine is NY Fries.

I'll give this place a spot when it opens.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment