HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:53 PM

Classic "one person's opinion should define a neighbourhood's" piece from Pam Berman. I don't think either read the proposal, as the loss of parking is actually due to the addition of a sidewalk on Dahlia and on Oak, as well as 1-2 spots at Victoria to make the crossing safer. One tree, not "some" is being cut to accommodate the sidewalk. Aside from allowing cross-rides at the crossing, very little cycle-specific infrastructure is going in here. The third proposed plan involving bi-directional bikeways seems overcomplicated to me and unnecessary.

https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/dahlia-oak-crichton

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...reet-1.5777454

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:22 AM

Terrible article. One-sided and very misleading.

Edit: Should be noted they updated/expanded the article since it was first published the day before. Probably in response to complaints.

Last edited by alps; Oct 28, 2020 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Terrible article. One-sided and very misleading.

Edit: Should be noted they updated/expanded the article since it was first published the day before. Probably in response to complaints.
I saw that. Good to see, though still lets Nixon off with some unsubstantiated claims about consultation. If you sign up for the ‘Shape Your City’ emails, you get at least monthly emails, and almost always an option to complete the survey as a resident.

Of course, we know residents are always going to complain about parking.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 PM

Having lived in that area 25+ years ago, my opinions are as follows with the caveat that some of these things may have changed since then:

1) The parking on Dahlia shouldn't be a loss, as nobody parks at that end of the street anyhow - that section of street faces the blank wall of 1 Oak Street's parking garage.

2) The Dahlia/Maple intersection has always been a problem, as Maple is used as a main commuter route to the Macdonald Bridge. I recall many vehicle accidents, some fairly bad, at that intersection. A childhood friend was actually killed crossing Maple Street further down the hill, many years ago. Maple/Pine/Victoria are all fairly steep hills, and with people rushing downhill on a commuter route, I would have concerns whether the proposed signals would be effective enough.

3) Pine is steeper than Maple, so I would not suggest putting stop signs on Pine in the middle of the slope - I recall driving down that hill (and Victoria) in slippery conditions in the winter and not being able to slow down enough to make the turn onto Dahlia, even when approaching it fairly slowly. After awhile, I decided to just not attack those hills in slippery conditions.

4) I don't agree with the person in the article who says the crossing at Victoria is at the crest of a hill. It is fairly steep there, though.

5) Leighton Dillman Park has always been a nice place to stroll. Some of the paths are a little on the steep side, and they never used to keep it ice-free in the winter. I think it would be kind of a shame to mix foot traffic with bikes, if the bike traffic became heavy enough, so I don't think using the park as a cycling route is a good idea, actually. Park Avenue is basically traffic-free, so I think that would be a better route.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
5) Leighton Dillman Park has always been a nice place to stroll. Some of the paths are a little on the steep side, and they never used to keep it ice-free in the winter. I think it would be kind of a shame to mix foot traffic with bikes, if the bike traffic became heavy enough, so I don't think using the park as a cycling route is a good idea, actually. Park Avenue is basically traffic-free, so I think that would be a better route.

As a cyclist, an AT mixed use path is always a compromise. Ultimately, it’s going to be one route of a few AAA bike facilities in Dartmouth; the waterfront trail/Alderney/Portland being the other one.

My 2 cents is that the cyclists who really want to rip around and go fast tend to stick on the roads, and are there already. Paths like this are moreso for families, kids, and new cyclists who are certainly slower.

If traffic does become heavy enough, I would hope an additional street based solution is offered as its never pleasant splitting a narrow path for cyclists or pedestrians.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure