HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaPetee View Post
This model makes me love it even more. And the appearance of the water interface seems much more reasonable than some of the drawings made it appear. Part of it already exists (the boardwalk that goes out around the shoreline instead of over land.) The add-ons further out into the water are not so large and messy after all. I want to see this thing built!
Yes, perhaps some of the drama added to the renderings detracted from the appeal of the proposal by making it look less realistic. With this model it is clear how it fits in with the surroundings.

I know a lot of people aren't a fan of the Cunard proposal but I think the trio of current waterfront developments is going to completely transform the area if they're all built. There will still be many areas to improve, but there won't be any big dead zones left.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaPetee View Post
Of course the Barrington St. Superstore doesn't help, nor does the inability to cross from Inglis / Barrington to the piers without going around the Westin. I hope "they" can figure out how to knit those pieces back together.
There's a tunnel under the tracks that goes between the Seafarer's Mission and the very end of Barrington, if you don't turn up the hill to Inglis.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
... That Halifax-waterfront-specific theme could have been carried through in a big way in a project like this. A solid-looking masonry wall or form, maybe along Lower Water, would have made me like the proposals a lot more...
In this aspect, DIALOG's proposal has the facade that is most solid on Lower Water - it's one of the concerns I have with the proposal though - not the most welcoming for a building that is supposed to move beyond a container for art and become more about supporting social connections, community gatherings, and be more of an active participant to public life in the city.

Quote:
... The north elevation of Bishop's [Landing] is basically treated like an alley and is basically a 100 m+ long blank wall...
Yes. It seems the instruction to reserve the southern portion of the site for future development seems to have resulted in difficulty in meaningfully connecting to Bishop's Landing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of this:

I think it's just meant to be an abstract massing type diagram. But wow does that ever change the appearance of that area by defining the square properly and making Barrington more consistently built up. It is mostly a nice neighbourhood with a good scale, with one particularly bad planning mistake. Halifax is full of "almost great" areas. In many cities the streets sloping up from the Westin would have been turned into a heritage conservation district long ago.
Absolutely. This addresses what is potentially one of the biggest detractions of the neighbourhood (the suburban model Superstore with massive parking lot right at the street).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth