HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:49 PM

https://la.curbed.com/maps/tower-hig...ap-los-angeles

Some of this is under construction, and some others have been added since. Another 60 story proposal in south park, I think.

Some are outside of downtown too.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I would put Houston above LA right now in terms of multiple skyline and mass. LA is still on Atlanta's level
Yet some dude suggested L.A.'s skyline should be ranked 6 places higher than Houston's right now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
From most angles Houston looks pretty much the same, decades later imo.
that's because skylines tend to be defined by their tallest buildings, and of houston's current 20 tallest towers, 17 of them were built more than 30 years ago.

however, the 757' 609 Main was just completed in 2017, breaking a 3 decade drought for towers over 700' tall in houston. and the 735' Texas Tower is currently U/C, so houston is now finally seeing some long overdue height added to its skyline.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:02 PM

Preliminary list for me for top skylines. gotta fill in the rest later.

1SF
2NY
3LA
14Jacksonville
15 Houston

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I live in Denver but think the skyline is lacking for such a large metro. Not a fan of the post modern towers and all of the beige and brown. I do love the newest skyscraper 1144 15th though. More of those would help pull Denver out of the early 80’s.
Agreed, but in the 14 years I've lived in Denver, I'm amazed by all the development and increase in density downtown and downtown-adjacent. Downtown Denver, at the street level, is nicer than downtown L.A.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I would put Houston above LA right now in terms of multiple skyline and mass. LA is still on Atlanta's level, but if those proposals come through, it will be better than all US cities not named NYC or Chicago, and future Miami.

I also agree that Boston needs to step up.
ATLANTA Downtown to Buckhead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/com...rk_gonna_miss/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 9:14 PM
BANNED

The view of midtown + downtown Atlanta heading south via the Connector (which I believe someone else also mentioned earlier in this thread) is much more impressive than the photo above. That particular view of all three skylines (downtown, midtown, Buckhead) is perhaps the least favorable / most underwhelming angle of Atlanta I've seen.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Some post earlier noted that this thread is about skylines and no points for other (not tall) built form/urbanity/density.

I think Boston deserves a SSP "golden buzzer" even without building tall.

Depending on where u point ur camera, midrise density is part of a skyline shot. And that density speaks to human scale urbanity more than 'scrapers.

As for the Houston vs. L.A. argument... it's kinda an engineering miracle that L.A. has a (growing) impressive skyline, sitting in an earthquake zone (scary).

From most angles Houston looks pretty much the same, decades later imo.
I don't know why we keep acting like its some miracle that LA builds skyscrapers...has anyone seen Tokyo before?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
You literally stated that Pittsburgh is not an East Coast city because it is "located in a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast".

Then, I pointed out that Philly is also located in "a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast" - a state that just so happens to be THE SAME F*CKING STATE THAT "NON-EAST COAST" PITTSBURGH IS IN.

What, exactly, am I "twisting"?

You do realize that Pittsburgh and Philly are both in Pennsylvania, right?

And since the criteria YOU established stated that cities located in a state that is not on the Atlantic Coast, are "not East Coast", then that would mean Philly can't be "East Coast" either. You can't have it both ways.

So on one hand you declare Atlanta and Charlotte - two cities that are not located remotely near the Atlantic are "East Coast" (presumably based on the fact that their respective states touch the Atlantic), nor do either of those cities have an "East Coast" feel, yet Pittsburgh is "not East Coast". Care to explain your Atlanta and Charlotte designations?

Let me guess - according to your brilliant logic, Roanoke, VA (which is essentially as far away from the Atlantic Ocean as Pittsburgh is) is "East Coast" because VA is on the Atlantic Coast. Right?
You don't get it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
You don't get it.
^ The classic cop out when one lacks a sensible response.

I honestly wouldn't have expected anything else.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:

For the love of god can you just give it up already and stop going on for days over the minutia of the most innane comments? He obviously meant one is on one side of the Appalachians and on is on the other.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:

You don't get it. You're also continuing to argue over something that doesn't have a right or wrong answer.

Remember when we were discussing the best skylines on the East Coast? I had Boston just above Philadelphia and that's when you began to lose it -- which is funny, because there is no right or wrong answer -- it is an opinion. Nobody ever said Philadelphia wasn't an East Coast city -- that was you twisting things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt
Guys, Boston has one of the top skylines on the East Coast. It's girthy and stretches/extends quite long down the high spine.

1] N.Y. [duh]
2] Miami [it is the Chicago of Canada in Florida after all]
3] Boston
4] Phila. [swapable w/ Boston, but Boston does have a better waterfront]
5] Atlanta [it's an East Coast city, because the state is on the East Coast].
6] Charlotte [mini-Lanta]
7] Baltimore [?]
Then you came back with this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC
Not to mention you completely neglected to include Pittsburgh (which is as "East Coast" as Atlanta), yet included Baltimore.
Then I said this, and was even willing to accept Pittsburgh on my list of East Coast cities, it would be just above Baltimore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt
Pittsburgh isn't East Coast, therefore it was left off the list, but if you want to put it on my list, it would be just above Baltimore -- maybe.
Again, we're talking about my opinion of East Coast skylines versus your opinion, there is no right or wrong answer.

And Yes, Charlotte and Atlanta are East Coast, because they're the largest metropolitan regions in states that are on the East Coast of the Untied States of America [we're not talking about Roanoke equivalents in Georgia and N.C. -- I'll say it once again, that doesn't mean that Philadelphia is not an East Coast city, simply because PA does not have a coastline.

Got it? Or are you still confused?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
The view of midtown + downtown Atlanta heading south via the Connector (which I believe someone else also mentioned earlier in this thread) is much more impressive than the photo above. That particular view of all three skylines (downtown, midtown, Buckhead) is perhaps the least favorable / most underwhelming angle of Atlanta I've seen.
Not to me, I prefer this angle more. Also, if the photo panned a little further to the right you would also be able to see the Cumberland/Vinings and Sandy Springs (King & Queen building) skylines.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You don't get it. You're also continuing to argue over something that doesn't have a right or wrong answer.

Remember when we were discussing the best skylines on the East Coast? I had Boston just above Philadelphia and that's when you began to lose it -- which is funny, because there is no right or wrong answer -- it is an opinion. Nobody ever said Philadelphia wasn't an East Coast city -- that was you twisting things.

Then you came back with this post:

Then I said this, and was even willing to accept Pittsburgh on my list of East Coast cities, it would be just above Baltimore.

Again, we're talking about my opinion of East Coast skylines versus your opinion, there is no right or wrong answer.

And Yes, Charlotte and Atlanta are East Coast, because they're the largest metropolitan regions in states that are on the East Coast of the Untied States of America [we're not talking about Roanoke equivalents in Georgia and N.C. -- I'll say it once again, that doesn't mean that Philadelphia is not an East Coast city, simply because PA does not have a coastline.

No one here is confused except the person who believes that Charlotte and Atlanta are "East Coast" cities, yet at the same time believes that Pittsburgh is not.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
No one here is confused except the person who believes that Charlotte and Atlanta are "East Coast" cities, yet at the same time believes that Pittsburgh is not.
All 3 are borderline at absolute best, and certainly not coastal by any stretch of the imagination. Philadelphia is definitely "East Coast" (right on Route 95) even though it's not directly on the ocean either. I think anything within ~100 miles of the Atlantic Ocean could pass as East Coast pretty easily. After that it becomes murkier.

I don't necessarily know where to draw the line, but agree that consistency is important and Charlotte, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh are probably all one way or all the other. Pittsburgh is borderline mid-west, and definitely in the "Rust Belt" at least. Charlotte and Atlanta are both extremely land-locked, and nowhere near the ocean by mileage although closer than Pittsburgh in the time it would take to drive to a beach. (sparser/faster roads!) Pittsburgh is the furthest East, but the whole landmass to the North extends to the East so the ocean is still further! No good answers here, besides striving for consistency.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:

Why is size of the city the criteria to determine whether it's East Coast? If Pittsburgh and Philly's populations were switched would it make a difference?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

nearest ocean beach:

pittsburgh - atlantic city - 5:45 drive time

charlotte - myrtle beach - 3:30 drive time

atlanta - tybee island - 4:00 drive time

pittsburgh is considerably further from an ocean beach, though it is only 2 hours to presque isle state park's beaches on lake erie

however, all of them are long enough from the ocean that the average person ain't day-tripping to an ocean beach from any of them.

to me, a place isn't truly "coastal" if you can't wake up on a random summer saturday and say "hey, it's gorgeous out today, let's go to the beach!"

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 22, 2019 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:

For the record, I don't really like this state-level metric at all. If the main city of NC was on the Tennessee border, this city wouldn't be coastal just 'cause NC has an Atlantic coast.

With this "state level" metric, you'd put El Paso in the same pool of candidates as Galveston, Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa/St.Pete, etc.

I was passing through Malone, NY the other day (it's not that far from Montreal). The fact that there are Atlantic beaches on Long Island that can be reached without crossing a state border has no bearing on the fact that this nice little town (that has interesting old architecture) is absolutely not anywhere close to being a seaside town.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
nearest ocean beach:

pittsburgh - atlantic city - 5:45 drive time

charlotte - myrtle beach - 3:30 drive time

atlanta - tybee island - 4:00 drive time

pittsburgh is considerably further from an ocean beach, though it is only 2 hours to presque isle state park's beaches on lake erie

however, all of them are long enough from the ocean that the average person ain't day-tripping to an ocean beach from any of them.

to me, a place isn't truly "coastal" if you can't wake up on a random summer saturday and say "hey, it's gorgeous out today, let's go to the beach!"
See post above. That's kind of my general metric too.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
With this "state level" metric, you'd put El Paso in the same pool of candidates as Galveston, Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa/St.Pete, etc.
and NYC and philly automatically become "great lakes cities".

what?

the state thing is dumb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions