HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
How many bookstores have you seen opening anywhere?!!!!

A department store? The worlds smallest?....have you seen the spaces available in Luhrs?

Small shops would be fine. I have not been to Hamburg, but i have been to San Diego's Gas Lamp District, and it is almost totally restaurants and bars. i am not comparing our new downtown to Gas Lamp. I am simply saying that restaurants are good draws.... yes, stores are good too and will come, but don't knock restaurants.
A book store and a department store (Something like the Ka-De-We in Berlin) is something downtown should have. And yes I know that resturants but I'm just saying a more diversified street front could be a bit more exciting. Don't get me wrong, I'm estatic that at least something is being put there. Frankly, I love having a ton of resturants to chose from in downtown, but I'd like to see a little difference in the streetscape.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:41 PM

The nice thing about bars and restaurants are the hours. Downtown already has a huge draw during day hours for the offices. Bars and restaurants theoretically keep street life active late into the night.

As for a book store, I love them, but they are a dying breed. The big chain book stores aren't opening new locations, and I don't know if an independent book store could afford the rent downtown.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:17 PM

Downtown needs a good selection of bars unlike the horrible selection that's along Washington. I'd also love to see a shoe store dwntwn Nike or Footlocker @ maybe Colliers Center if there's enough space.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:52 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
A book store and a department store (Something like the Ka-De-We in Berlin) is something downtown should have. And yes I know that resturants but I'm just saying a more diversified street front could be a bit more exciting. Don't get me wrong, I'm estatic that at least something is being put there. Frankly, I love having a ton of resturants to chose from in downtown, but I'd like to see a little difference in the streetscape.
Other than Macy's in New York City and to a lesser extent in San Francisco, there is nothing on the scale of Berlin's KaDeWe in any urban setting in the US. It's a wonderful store, but that sort of thing just doesn't work in the US, and certainly not in car-oriented Phoenix. That battle was lost in 1957 when Goldwater's downtown store closed in favor of their Park Central store.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:01 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
As for a book store, I love them, but they are a dying breed. The big chain book stores aren't opening new locations, and I don't know if an independent book store could afford the rent downtown.
Barnes and Noble, Borders and the like are certainly dying breeds. Why go to them when you can buy online or download to an E-reader and all. But I think independent book stores fill an important niche and even with the decline of the printed word, a good Downtown needs a solid bookstore, they're a community space as much as a retail space.

Powell Books in Portland, Oregon is crazy awesome and something any City should be jealous of.

Changing Hands would be wise to open a Downtown location and make it their flagship. I never really understood their current location, their cliental seems like it would be predominately in Central PHX or Downtown Tempe. While I doubt they (or any independent) could afford rent in CityScape or directly in the CBD they could be a tremendous addition to Roosevelt Row.

They'd need to find a space they could rehab to be cost effective I imagine, but since we knocked everything over we're stuck waiting for big projects to bail us out. The old "Canvas" building on 3rd St and Roosevelt or the 333 E Portland building would likely be good bookstore spots (or even the old Circles building).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:05 AM
BANNED

You can get free books just about anywhere. Book stores are over.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Other than Macy's in New York City and to a lesser extent in San Francisco, there is nothing on the scale of Berlin's KaDeWe in any urban setting in the US. It's a wonderful store, but that sort of thing just doesn't work in the US, and certainly not in car-oriented Phoenix. That battle was lost in 1957 when Goldwater's downtown store closed in favor of their Park Central store.
Well I have to agree, it's 8 floors and has everything a mall would have but each floor is one section and store. But a department store or a flagship store of some sort, could do wonders for the area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Barnes and Noble, Borders and the like are certainly dying breeds. Why go to them when you can buy online or download to an E-reader and all. But I think independent book stores fill an important niche and even with the decline of the printed word, a good Downtown needs a solid bookstore, they're a community space as much as a retail space.

Powell Books in Portland, Oregon is crazy awesome and something any City should be jealous of.

Changing Hands would be wise to open a Downtown location and make it their flagship. I never really understood their current location, their cliental seems like it would be predominately in Central PHX or Downtown Tempe. While I doubt they (or any independent) could afford rent in CityScape or directly in the CBD they could be a tremendous addition to Roosevelt Row.

They'd need to find a space they could rehab to be cost effective I imagine, but since we knocked everything over we're stuck waiting for big projects to bail us out. The old "Canvas" building on 3rd St and Roosevelt or the 333 E Portland building would likely be good bookstore spots (or even the old Circles building).
You have the same idea I had. Changing the old Circles building into a independent bookstore. That'd be great. Right on the lightrail and Central, in-between many apartments and living spaces, easy to find, and huge windows which would provide a great view fo the street. Think Central Burton Bar library. I could sit there all day with a book all day and look out the glass walls.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:26 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I agree to an extent, but part of the reason Changing Hands is still in business is mostly due to their location. In the early 90s they were located on Mill Ave (somewhere around 7th Street IIRC) and the landlords drove up the leasing rates on Mill and drove them out. I lived right near their current location when they moved in and talked to the owner. They basically were given a choice of staying and paying double rent, moving to South Tempe and paying 1/2 rent, or closing. They made a wise choice and I'm really happy that they still are around.

Is anywhere in downtown Phoenix ready for a bookstore of that type? Hard to say. The last bookstore that I can think of in DT Phoenix was the architectural bookstore on Central that got kicked out when the CVS at McDowell went in. 2001 maybe? I'd really love to see it, but it's a really tough business model, especially in downtown priced space.

Department stores? Even a small one? Not much chance of that (I know you didn't suggest it).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
You have the same idea I had. Changing the old Circles building into a independent bookstore. That'd be great. Right on the lightrail and Central, in-between many apartments and living spaces, easy to find, and huge windows which would provide a great view fo the street. Think Central Burton Bar library. I could sit there all day with a book all day and look out the glass walls.
Oh man, Changing Hands would be perfect in the old Circles Building. Great to point that out.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:36 PM
METRO: Encanto

There was a Poisoned Pen in Bentley Projects on Grant 2005-2007.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 5:48 PM

Anyone see this today? Changing Hands is looking at opening somewhere in Central Phoenix?

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...id-change.html

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 7:53 PM
them bones

I seriously wish them luck if they can pull it off. I seriously lament the loss of bookstores and will continue to boycott E-readers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I seriously lament the loss of bookstores and will continue to boycott E-readers.
Couldn't agree more. I hate e-readers, even the Kindle. Then again, my house is a museum/library, and I love old books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
You can get free books just about anywhere. Book stores are over.
Poisoned Pen over in DT snobsdale is always busy.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 9:27 PM

Lots of permit activity related to the Subway going on, so if they haven't started construction on that yet, they should be very soon.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 6:39 PM

They are installing the new canopies on both the north and east sides. They are amazing!!!!! Sorry no pics.....anyone?

Also...Subway work inside is moving along fast!!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Have any of the tenants moved in yet? It still looks empty. And is Subway the only confirmed retail?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:45 AM

gymrat, what do you mean by "canopy"? Awnings?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:14 PM

They were installing two big iron and white glass awnings. I saw the crane and the awnings last weekend and even talked to the workers installing them.

I drove down last night and they were not up. I am guessing something went wrong when installing them with the fit. They are really impressive and fit the style of the building.

I hope they go in this weekend.?.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 8:10 PM

Now the two awnings are up. They look period and add a lot to an already beautiful building!!!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest