HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:47 PM

portland portland. great pics. i've never been to the west coast but i think i would have to make a visit to portland specifically for that jumptown project. it looks novel, cool, and green. and who doesn't enjoy fascinating architecture that contributes to the health of the earth.

Old Posted May 15, 2006, 3:13 AM
No longer PDX

Dieselpolo, unfortunately it looks like the Jumptown project is on indefiante hold. The area they were planning it for is a triangle block between busy streets that I don't think penciled out.

Definately visit for the other projects, the Tram, SOWA, Elliot Tower, Pearl and the Portland Art Museum expansion (my personal favorite) are worth checking out.

Old Posted May 16, 2006, 5:20 AM

Anyone have any word on the proposed ZGF Tower?

bvpcvm? You seemed to have the inside word earlier in the thread.

Old Posted May 18, 2006, 8:19 PM

latest rendering

High on the South Park Blocks
Development - Another construction crane is soon to rise on the central skyline, this time for the 21-story Ladd Tower condos
Thursday, May 18, 2006
DYLAN RIVERA
The Oregonian

A forthcoming building will bring the first substantial new housing to the South Park Blocks since the late 1980s.

But unlike the thick midrise apartment buildings of the '80s, the early 21st century is bringing . . .

What else? High-rise condominiums.

Construction will start this fall on the Ladd Tower, a 21-story condo building rising above Southwest Jefferson Street and Park Avenue.

It will be among at least 16 high-rise condominium towers planned or being built in and near downtown, including four in the South Waterfront development.

Distinguishing the Ladd Tower project are its location -- where it will soar above the park blocks' elm trees -- and its focus on historic preservation. The Ladd Carriage House and the First Christian Church building on the block will survive, even as the development adds 20,000 square feet of space for church activities and four floors of parking.

The Ladd Carriage House, built in 1883, is considered one of the most important historic buildings downtown. It's the last remnant of the mansion of William S. Ladd, Portland's fourth mayor and one of the city's foremost businessmen and philanthropists.

"Of all the things that I've been involved with, the fact that I'm participating in a project like the Ladd Carriage House preservation, I get real tripped up about that," said John Carroll, one of two developers on the project.

The Ladd Tower is the latest example of developers leveraging private projects that serve public goals with robust condominium demand. In a complex venture next to PGE Park, the Housing Authority of Portland sold land for a condo tower to Gerding/Edlen Development Co., generating proceeds to build an affordable housing complex on the authority's remaining adjacent land.

The Ladd Tower will realize some of the city's longstanding aims of providing more housing downtown and along the string of parks. The tower will contain about 190 condos.

More high-rise development could be forthcoming if Tom Moyer decides to build condos on a former gas station site at Southwest Broadway and Columbia Street.

Even as the Ladd Tower project protects two historic structures, its architecture has met with some resistance from city planners, who had hoped for more historically authentic design.

The First Christian Church owns the entire block, bounded by Jefferson, Columbia, Broadway and Park. It hired Minneapolis-based Opus Northwest to help build parking spaces for its bustling congregation.

For about a year, the church expected to demolish or relocate the Ladd Carriage House, which houses offices, to make way for new office space and underground parking. One relocation bid, to the Lair Hill neighborhood, fell apart when developers realized the move would require temporarily cutting power lines along more than 20 city blocks and severing the Portland Streetcar line .

Partner's suggestion

Opus partnered with Carroll, of Portland, who suggested keeping the carriage house on-site and installing church facilities in a three-story pedestal at the base of the new building. The carriage house will be relocated to a parking lot at Southwest 10th and Columbia for the first phase of construction before being returned to its original site.

Carroll said he wants the pedestal to help the 240-foot tower fit in with the historic buildings on the block. So he had Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects of Portland design a historic-looking stone structure that would serve as a muscular base for the tall glassy tower.

The construction of a building that looks old strikes some in the architectural field as the wrong way to go.

"Replica buildings can only mimic bygone times and rarely do it as well," said Edward Vaivoda, of Yost Grube Hall Architecture of Portland. "Placing a contemporary building beside an historic structure can be a significant design challenge."

Vaivoda and other critics commended the preservation of the Carriage House, but some lamented the use of an "institutional-looking" base, with arches and thick stones separated by heavy lines of mortar.

Steve Poland, an architect with Ankrom Moisan, said the firm was trying to give the three stories a modern update of a historic look. The design is based in part on the Public Service building, a historic structure best known for first-floor tenant Niketown.

"It's not something that an architect working on their own normally would come up with," Poland said. "We tend to start with trying to keep a consistency of style. The great thing about working with John Carroll is he's very concerned about context, and a lot of modern architects don't give that much prominence in their design."

Say over design

The Portland Design Commission, which has final say over the design and at least one more public meeting this summer, was not entirely happy with a first design draft last month, said commissioner Jeff Stuhr, an architect with Holst Architecture.

"People were underwhelmed with the base as it stood and by the design," Stuhr said. "It was too middle-of-the-road. It needed to be more abstracted or more historical. My own feeling is it was neither one nor the other."

City Planning Director Gil Kelley agreed with the commission. Ladd Tower is an important addition to downtown that will help enliven the park blocks, Kelley said.

But Kelley lamented the loss of the Rosefriend Apartments, a red 1910 building that the developers say must go. Carroll said he is working with Rejuvenation housewares retailer and the Bosco-Milligan Foundation to preserve artifacts in the building, putting some up for sale and preserving the entrance for use in a courtyard on Broadway.

Kelley said the development team should think about mimicking the Rosefriend, rather than the Public Service building, which he said looks like a bank.

"They might want to take some of their design cues from that because it's residential," Kelley said. "There's an urban affinity about that building that doesn't appear in their designs, which is much more monumental architecture."

Dylan Rivera: 503-221-8532; dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/pr...210.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 6:44 PM

has block 38 started construction yet?

-hi123

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 6:46 PM

Yes, they started last month. Pile driving is 3/4 complete.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 6:48 PM

^ ausome!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 1:12 AM

Just updated... please post any updates, additions or corrections

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:11 AM

Some construction pics:
you can see most of the developtment in the south waterfront in this picture taken by awg

the john ross

the meriweather(move ins started in april the two towers are almost done)
there are two towers but i could only find a picture of one you can kinda see the second one in the second picture

atwater place

ohsu building(done in september i think)

the metropolitan(this pic by couvscott)

the benson(by couvscott again)

the strand(there are three towers but you can't see all of them in this pic

the tram
upper station

intermediate tower is now 197 feet tall

lower station

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 6:37 PM

nice work PDXstreetcar...I like seeing a majority of the renderings with the projects, instead of just a list.

Good stuff Dougall, glad to have you back, it was quite last week!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 7:45 PM

thanks for noticing i was gone, i am now trying to go down to the south waterfront every sunday to get some pics. last sunday i saw at least two maybe even three other people taking pictures but i haven't seen anyone posting them. i think we need to recruit to get these guys into the forum or something

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:49 PM

^I, uhumm, drive into SoWa every Sunday to look, usually forgetting the camera, but the last three weeks I haven't been driving at all, feeling the cost of gas, and my emissions, hurt my pocket book and the air. I decided to start a one month 'truck diet' going without to see if it can be done. I'm actually enjoying the extra money, time to read the paper on the bus, and that feeling that I am doing something proactive as I've finally mastered recycling. But I'm not diggin carrying home $50 of groceries up 10 blocks.

Anyway I'm dying to get down there soon enough on a Sunday. I'll start asking, are you Dougall, no, okay...are you Dougall?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 11:12 PM

lol you be able to find me because i will be screaming "wheres markdaman" at the top of my lungs, i might get a lot of strange looks be it will be worth it. I feel guilty driving too but i figure its only a short time until the streetcar line opens. when does the gibbs stop open anyway?
btw i just keep my camera with me all the time becuase you never know when you are going to run into a good picture. this little philosphy or whatever has payed off too

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 3:06 PM

Quote:
btw i just keep my camera with me all the time becuase you never know when you are going to run into a good picture. this little philosphy or whatever has payed off too
You aren't the first person on this board to tell me that. I should learn.

The Gibbs stop opens in the fall I believe, about the same time as the OHSU building but before the Aerial Tram begins operation in December.
Quote:
i will be screaming "wheres markdaman" at the top of my lungs, i might get a lot of strange looks be it will be worth it
Until the overzealous security guards from the Meriwether takes it upon themselves to remove the crazy from the district.

Well I look forward to meeting my fellow forumer at some undetermined date in the future! In fact, since we all are taking pics or checking out SoWa it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a Portland forumer meet-up. We've tried a couple times but it never gels. So if it is some informal, I'll be in SoWa at blank time on a blank Sunday, we can just see who ends up there.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Jul 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:05 PM

it would be cool to meet up at a open house at the meriweather, if they let us check out the rooms we would just go to the balcony and take some pics. I wonder if the meriweather is still having open houses or we might have to wait until the john ross is complete

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:45 PM

ooooh a John Ross open house

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 2:32 AM

Hey pdxstreetcar,

Don't forget the rumored Beam proposal on SE Water and Yamhill.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2006, 2:09 AM

the benson

John Ross

Atwater Place

The Meriweather

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 12:49 AM

I found these two projects on the amazing world wide web today:
Broadway Tower: i coundted 34 floors and there are 6 below ground levels the website mentioned this would be one of the tallest buildings in portland

And block 27 in the south waterfront

the website if anyone is interested
http://www.tvaarchitects.com/
click on current projects

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 4:41 PM

Portland's West End: Several towers planned; could host PDX's new tallest

Portland's West End is a traditionally low rise area sporting the multiple blocks long South Park Blocks, home to the Portland Downtown Farmer's Market, the Portland Art Museum, Portland's gay friendly Stark Street, and several turn of the 20th century churches, the area has recently seen a growth spurt. Not being developed like the SoWa or Pearl, where one developer controls blocks of property, the West End is getting a very individualistic feel. With Portland State University to the South, and the tony Pearl District's Brewery Blocks to the north, as well as the Portland Streetcar sweeping down the spine of the neighborhood, the West End has the potential to become a signature Portland development. The height limits could also potentially lead to Portland's new tallest being located in the district. With it's new developments changing Portland's skyline, this thread can track the neighborhoods development.

Current projects in the district as of August 2006

The recently completed Eliot

Benson Tower (under construction)

ZGF Tower (in approval process)

Ladd Tower (in approval process, to break ground Fall 2006)

Montgomery Blocks (several block redevelopment)

Broadway Tower (recently introduced)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations