HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 10:03 PM
Closed account

also, the next generation of new flyer 60-foot BRT buses that I'd like to see the HSR start purchasing for the above mentioned BRT routes instead of the current ones we have:

http://newflyer.com/index/cleveland_brt_street_curb

more modern and stylish and doors open on both sides.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 11:09 PM

i wish they'd get all buses in those style. The 96xx models right on up to the newest 07xx models all are the exact same on the outside, only difference is the positioning of the seats in the 96xx models compared to the rest.

I like the articulated style. I wish all 40 foot buses were upgraded to look like that. I like the New Flyer buses the best out of all the HSR fleet (hate the 97xx models the most, aka the NOVAs), most comfortable, seats the most passengers i believe, quietest. I hate the HSR seating layout though. There is a lot of wasted space in the buses.

I think they want to have a special modern look for the beeline or BRT routes, but I find all the typical HSR buses are beginning to look quite dated, even if brand new, in how they are styled on the outside.

You know, the sexier the buses can be built, the more ridership you could possibly attract.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 11:38 PM
Closed account

I like the new HSR hybrids - both 40 and 60 foot. But, you're right. These new BRT's would help with their image and comfort.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 11:46 PM
Closed account

must be something in the water in Hamilton.
How the heck did we get stuck with one of the most backward, hick-minded universities in North America?

http://brianmchattie.ca/page2.php?id=73

Most universities are centres of forward thinking and some are bastions of ridiculously liberal thinking....here, we have a school that, much like city hall, is a bastion of 1950's thinking. Now students have to make the horrendous and horrible walk from Main St in front of the Medical Centre (I say that from experience...it's HORRIBLE in any weather) if they use the B-Line instead of being conviently dropped off in the middle of campus.
I love how Mac uses the 'pedestrian-only' zone as their reason for this.
The same university that just constructed a mega-lane, car-centric new entrance coming right into campus.
I would LOVE a UofT campus to come to town and expose these pea-brains at Mac for what they really are.

Now is a good time to begin to discuss bus-only lanes on Main Street from Paradise to Cootes Drive. There's a billion lanes in front of Mac. It would be perfect for bus-lanes. If they're going to move the B-Line to such horrible environs, at least give them one tiny stretch of car-free driving.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 4:04 AM
Closed account

you know what would be awesome? not talking about buses. in all seriousness, a great compromise between rail and bus is...trolleybuses!! i'd be very happy about that but it won't happen, so whatever. peace.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
Closed account

as far as I know, rth, most of UofT Downtown IS ped-only. The only entrance I know of (for cars) is the one to get to Massey Hall and that.
I've only been on UofT campus maybe a handful of times, but can't remember seeing any buses on or near campus. But to be fair, they do have 2 Subway Stns.

You can't say that UofT is all about it's students/forward thinking re: transit. Have u ever been to Scarborough or Mississauga campuses?? OMG. 1st of all, you can't really get to UofT Mississauga without driving! It's in a completely desolate, forested area along Mississauga Rd (yes... there are trees in Mississauga hahaha). And Scarborough's isn't much easier to access, although you can take the bus. But both campuses are in sprawl mode -- don't create a streetwall of any sort, and have AMPLE AMPLE parking.

UofT Scarborough:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=16&om=0

UofT Mississauga
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=16&om=0

But I agree, 100%. I don't get WHY Mac needs or wants to limit it's bus access to the University? I'm sure Steeltown can defend their decision as I'm sure he spends more time on campus than all of us put together. But all I know is that EVERY bus destined for Mac is always CRAZY packed!
ps: Aren't they (Mac) raising their Bus Pass cost next year as well?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mac plans to do a massive landscaping project to the park inside the campus and narrow the lane. There's a rendering out there somewhere.

The main enterance they built cars can only make a left turn towards the Mohawk campus parking lot. You aren't allow to turn right, only buses but soon that's going to change as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 9:40 PM

It's ridiculous as it makes it so much harder now for buses to serve Westdale and Mac.

Now they're will never be a Streetcar through McMaster.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 10:01 PM
Closed account

UofT Scarborough and mississuaga are exactly what I'd expect in burbs like that.
but in Hamilton?? This ain't downtown TO. We won't get subways. LRT/BRT is going to be as good as it gets.
Obviously the administration doesn't use transit or they'd know what a huge nuisance this is.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hammer'd

I don't think a subway system would work at all here either. It would basically be a small system that ran across the lower city, since it wouldn't be able to get up to the mountain. Rather useless. LRT is about as good as it gets because of the geography.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I don't think a subway system would work at all here either. It would basically be a small system that ran across the lower city, since it wouldn't be able to get up to the mountain. Rather useless. LRT is about as good as it gets because of the geography.
what i'd like to see is two terminals in hamilton joined by one single express rail line.

The majority of the buses on the mountain would end at Mohawk College. A rapid transit line running down the mountain to the Go Centre from Mohawk would be constructed, and would have service frequencies of 5 minutes or so in a continuous cycle. Some mountain accesses that do not service downtown (like the 5C, and 11) would remain in place, but in the end it would eliminate hundreds of daily bus trips up and down the mountain saving plenty of gas fuel. Then at the Go station, they could connect to the majority of lower-mountain bus routes which would all be waiting at the same time for an interval of 5 minutes to allow adequate time for all to transfer.

Once again..a crazy idea by me...money isn't an issue just a nice dream i have.

This would be done to eliminate all mountain bus

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
must be something in the water in Hamilton.
How the heck did we get stuck with one of the most backward, hick-minded universities in North America?

http://brianmchattie.ca/page2.php?id=73

Most universities are centres of forward thinking and some are bastions of ridiculously liberal thinking....here, we have a school that, much like city hall, is a bastion of 1950's thinking. Now students have to make the horrendous and horrible walk from Main St in front of the Medical Centre (I say that from experience...it's HORRIBLE in any weather) if they use the B-Line instead of being conviently dropped off in the middle of campus.
I love how Mac uses the 'pedestrian-only' zone as their reason for this.
The same university that just constructed a mega-lane, car-centric new entrance coming right into campus.
I would LOVE a UofT campus to come to town and expose these pea-brains at Mac for what they really are.

Now is a good time to begin to discuss bus-only lanes on Main Street from Paradise to Cootes Drive. There's a billion lanes in front of Mac. It would be perfect for bus-lanes. If they're going to move the B-Line to such horrible environs, at least give them one tiny stretch of car-free driving.
Rerouting the B-Line away from campus? How stupid, everyone at Mac waits specifically for the B-Line.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 2:48 PM

they shoud just reroute the beeline from main at the 403 and it can end in a field in aldershot, then it wont inconvenience any pedestrians west of the 403

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:22 PM
Closed account

looks like we're getting $12 million from the provincial gas tax program for transit.

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...xAgreement.pdf

If this was already posted, I apologize.
I took a quick read of the document and it seems to be directed at transit, although i'm sure the city will find a loophole to spend most of it on roads.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

For $12 million you can get 12 or 13 new articulated buses.

My bet is that the city will end up using the money towards the downtown transit terminal and whatever left over to upgrade bus shelters.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
For $12 million you can get 12 or 13 new articulated buses.

My bet is that the city will end up using the money towards the downtown transit terminal and whatever left over to upgrade bus shelters.
the plan for the terminal is still to rehab MacNab right?

or does the HSR read here and follow my crazy ideas and are spending it on that?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 7:53 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

An idea for the future bus terminal:

Some points:

I think 16 million could cover all but the two way conversion.

Hughson should be closed to traffic.

Jackson would be interrupted from passing through.

The terminal would be designed as a plaza for buses and people with waiting areas, trees, and green space.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:14 PM
Hammer'd

I'm not certain how you'd fit that turn around/drop off into that part of Main. McMaster probably wouldn't want to give up any of their space for it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:52 PM
Closed account

McMaster doesn't own that land. The city does and leases it to them for a buck.
I'm not sure how you could fit buses turning around there though. It's a tight space.
Having said that, I LOVE your idea and thinking. We need to look at this issue and think outside of the box. There's so much wasted space in this city, I'm sure we can come up with a plan that keeps buses close to Main/King St without causing too much disruption. Hughson is an ideal candidate. What about a couple blocks north - Hughson/Rebecca area?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hammer'd

I didn't notice RTH's post about the Federal Gas Tax money. A reliable source says it is being spent to buy more articulated buses for the "A-Line" route along Upper James. Metrolinx is very intent to see this project get off the ground quick. My guess is it will probably start as a normal express route like the B-Line without dedicated lanes, and they will be built with time.

The HSR has also entered into a consortium order of buses among other municipalities in Ontario for a bunch of 40 foot New Flyer diesels. Sadly, not hybrid this time. They're rumoured to be arriving quite soon and would go into the 08 series. They'll probably be identical to the 07 series, with the blue seats and such. They may feature LED interior lighting, depending on what the HSR has decided from the demo bus that features the lighting (0708 for those who want to look for it). It's a very bright yet soft light and it looks really nice at night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure