HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:33 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I don't doubt that during a game broadcast but, would that obligation extend to a national news program like SportsCentre? I've heard ACC said many times on air and I know it wasn't K97 FM in Barrie.
Depends who that national news program's sponsors are.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I'm gonna need a source on that one. Doesn't the government still own the land that it's on? They aren't going to tear it down to move out to the suburbs.
I'm not going to share it. It's not a done deal, but the proposal I saw was to knock it down, rebuild it with a focus on tying into Maple Leaf Square, anchoring the other end of a "outdoor fan experience" along Bremner, and building a new residential development to the north with a skypark over the GO corridor. The residential aspect is what drives the profitability of it all.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
What originally got me on this SkyDome kick was a post in the Halifax stadium forum about a stadium being "dome ready" I thought that was pretty silly considering the costs, but it got me thinking about the FargoDome and the Superior Dome in Michigan, both of which can host football games, albeit at a smaller capacity.
The Fargodome and its in state twin, the Alerus Centre, are not really a model for any Canadian cities, IMO. North Dakota was basically forced into it as they get Manitoba style winters but the football season there doesn't start until the end of summer and drags on into the dead of winter. In Canada it's wrapped up by the end of November... there is no sense in building a dome for a few weeks worth of playoffs.

The thought of paying a steep construction premium with the end result of having fans sit in this environment on a nice summer evening is a bit hard to swallow...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I'm not going to share it. It's not a done deal, but the proposal I saw was to knock it down, rebuild it with a focus on tying into Maple Leaf Square, anchoring the other end of a "outdoor fan experience" along Bremner, and building a new residential development to the north with a skypark over the GO corridor. The residential aspect is what drives the profitability of it all.
The only place that a stadium could possibly be shoehorned in to tie into Maple Leaf Square is the roundhouse area, which is a National Historic Site. Rebuilding a stadium on the current site offers no real chance at any more residential development than is already possible, and of course, where does the team play for 3 or 4 seasons while this hall happens?

I actually like the idea of a Safeco type park on the roundhouse land, with home plate at the corner of Lakeshore and Lower Simcoe and the CN Tower directly out at centre field, Bremner being a pedestrian only street, and have it gated for games similar to Eutaw St along the front of the warehouse in right field in Baltimore. But I don't know how you get around that NHS designation for the roundhouse.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
The only place that a stadium could possibly be shoehorned in to tie into Maple Leaf Square is the roundhouse area, which is a National Historic Site. Rebuilding a stadium on the current site offers no real chance at any more residential development than is already possible, and of course, where does the team play for 3 or 4 seasons while this hall happens?

I actually like the idea of a Safeco type park on the roundhouse land, with home plate at the corner of Lakeshore and Lower Simcoe and the CN Tower directly out at centre field, Bremner being a pedestrian only street, and have it gated for games similar to Eutaw St along the front of the warehouse in right field in Baltimore. But I don't know how you get around that NHS designation for the roundhouse.
Same site, just with entrances and "square" aligned to be a straight shot down Bremner from MLS, instead of the big long concrete wall.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64307...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:56 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
First time I recall seeing this

Video Link

Presentation for Rod Robbie and Michael Allen's proposed SkyDome movement method. Robbie's son Angus Robbie helped prepare the video using crude animation techniques in 1985.

MIght as well add this

Video Link

SkyDome/Rogers Centre Built In Two And A Half Minutes
Timelapse of the world's first retractable roof sport's stadium. It was originally called the SkyDome, now called Rogers Centre. The Rogers Centre hosts the Toronto Blue Jays.
Loved watching the two vids, brought back great memories of living in Toronto, and being there for the two World Series wins!

But interesting idea/concept of shoe horning another stadium to connect with the Maple Leaf Square area.

Also someone pointed out the residential aspect of connecting with the GO corridor, witch I know would draw me in.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:57 PM
ハルウララ

Impact will be opening their season once again at Olympique on February 29. They skipped opening there last season.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Impact will be opening their season once again at Olympique on February 29. They skipped opening there last season.
Are there still any issues related to holding events there in the winter? I guess they must have worked it out if they're scheduling sports events for late February.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:05 PM
I am the law!

The roundhouse sits on top of a giant subterranean city. It would take some very expensive engineering to conceive a stadium above a power plant, convention centre and parking.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Wow! No one from Sh*tkicker town on here? Apparently the owners of the Flamers and Nenshi have agreed on a new arena deal?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
Wow! No one from Sh*tkicker town on here? Apparently the owners of the Flamers and Nenshi have agreed on a new arena deal?
Ya I posted in two other threads and I'm like heloooo?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Ya I posted in two other threads and I'm like heloooo?
Deal was with city council. Nenshi's just one vote out of 15. This was a done deal months ago. The attempt to derail it earlier this week (or was it last week) was defeated 11-4 which is exactly the same vote that approved the agreement back in July (?). No one flipped so this was just a formality. I hear it'll be five years before the building is done.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Same site, just with entrances and "square" aligned to be a straight shot down Bremner from MLS, instead of the big long concrete wall.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64307...7i16384!8i8192
But, again, where would they play for 2 or 3 seasons while it's getting built?

There's definitely something in the works. Years ago the talk was of renovating Skydome. That appears to be off the table now. Just a question of where a new stadium will get built, not if. Shapiro has hinted at this over the past few months but he's being quite canny.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It wasn't quite overnight.
  • It started in 2013 when the team let Alfredsson slip away because they weren't willing to pay him what he was worth after years of "Home Town Discounts".
  • Then you had the Phoenix Pay System in 2015 screwing public servants left and right, thus reducing people's sense financial security (and severely affecting others').
  • Around 2015, the team placed its bid to redevelop LeBreton Flats, the owner stressing that the current location was terrible and that a move downtown was essential to the survival of the team.
  • I January 2017, he fired the well loved President of the organization who was one of the team founders. He then hired Tom Anselmi who went on to double parking rates and remove seats from the arena. Tom quit for unknown reasons in January 2018. Some of his dumb ideas were reversed the following NHL season.
  • Then you had playoff games not sold out in 2016-2017, but still very well attended, and the owner bashing fans for it.
  • In December 2017, during the Alumni Game on Parliament Hill, the day before the NHL Classic at Lansdowne, the owner threatened to move the team if attendance didn't go up. Again, attendance wasn't that bad at this point.
  • Just before the start of the 2018-2019 season, they traded our Captain, arguably the best defencemen in the league at the time, because they were unwilling to make him a fair offer.
  • In December 2018, the owner had a temper tantrum and killed the LeBreton deal.
  • In February 2019, they traded every single all-star player left on the team. That same month, the attempts to save the LeBreton deal collapse, again because of the owner.

And this isn't everything. We've had a lot of drama coming out of the locker room and the front office. The owner is involved in multiple litigation, including gambling debts and the nearly $2 billion lawsuits surrounding the LeBreton deal that fell apart. The owner denies bashing fans and threatening to move despite having him one video. The owner is darn right Trumpian.

The issues the Sens are having around attendance is partly due to the terrible location, but mostly a protest against the mentally unstable owner. We just need a new owner who respects the fans, the players and his staff, first and foremost. Then, we could benefit from a new arena.

Ottawa is a good market. We support our team. We can see that when looking at the attendance numbers during the first 23 seasons (note: October 1992 to January 1996, we played in the 10,000 seat Civic Centre). We can start seeing the drop when Alfie was traded before the 2013-2014 season, followed by a free-fall starting in 2016-2017.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=7328
Because of all this I honestly think they are moving to Quebec city.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a massive string of Condo's next to the Arena's than it'd be to build a new Arena.

My guess is building a new arena would cost the next owner 200-300 million. That's 200-300 million more that Quebec city could off on top of Melnyks asking price for the team.

If QC offers 500 mill for a relocation team and a Ottawa ownership group offers 250 mill I can't see the league sticking to the market.

The optics would just be horrible when a new team(with a great roster) is worth $650 million.

If the team stays they are gonna be at permanent risk of relocation.

If the team moves it'll look incredibly awful if its anywhere other than QC.

Moving to QC doesn't decrease the value of American teams as it is staying in Canada.

QC already has an arena and it's likely on the preferable side of Montreal. Most of Ottawa will just default back to Montreal/Toronto. I could easily see QC becoming the underdog team of the league.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
But, again, where would they play for 2 or 3 seasons while it's getting built?

There's definitely something in the works. Years ago the talk was of renovating Skydome. That appears to be off the table now. Just a question of where a new stadium will get built, not if. Shapiro has hinted at this over the past few months but he's being quite canny.
I recall a post-season interview that Shapiro did and was asked several times about the renovations, and he had said that was removed from his responsibilities. Meaning it's above his head now (Rogers HQ). Considering the renovations were a big part of why he was chosen as the new president, based on his past experience in Cleveland with that stadium, it certainly lends credence to the suggestion something regarding a new stadium is in the works. But still, if something was done in the current site, where do they play? Go to Montreal for a couple seasons, get things juiced up for the Rays eventual move there and then come back to their new home? Put some money into Buffalo and play there? For sure, there is no site in Toronto that works as a temp home.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:50 AM

I think Rogers will sell the Jays. They stopped the reno because Rogers wants to save money.There is no sense in building a new ballpark there would be very little return on an investment like that and Rogers has been burned big time by their $5.2 billion NHL tv deal.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-...jays-1.3485688

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I think Rogers will sell the Jays. They stopped the reno because Rogers wants to save money.There is no sense in building a new ballpark there would be very little return on an investment like that and Rogers has been burned big time by their $5.2 billion NHL tv deal.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-...jays-1.3485688
2 year old article, in case anyone only looks at day and month. I think if anything, they bring MLSE in as partners. But even that, I don't know that Rogers really wants to lose out on their exclusivity on broadcasts and wireless content. Rogers Media might be hurting, but the entire company is pretty solid and I don't think they are that desperate to shed the Jays due to the NHL deal.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Go to Montreal for a couple seasons, get things juiced up for the Rays eventual move there and then come back to their new home? Put some money into Buffalo and play there? For sure, there is no site in Toronto that works as a temp home.
I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that the Jays playing seasons in Montreal will ever happen. They'd be better off erecting temp bleachers in some far flung GTA suburb. It's not as if Olympique is up to MLB standards, anyway.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:20 PM
I am the law!

There is no way a new stadium will be built on the site of the current dome. There may not be another site as central but, there are locations to build a ball park in Toronto and including close to the very first ballpark in East Harbour. There's also places in Liberty Village and south to Ontario Place.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 8:05 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

For those interested in the new Calgary event center:
http://https://globalnews.ca/news/6259404/calgary-flames-stampede-arena-deal/

So this will be two new arenas built in the time we are still using McMahon for football. I hope a new stadium (or MAJOR renovation of McMahon) is next.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada