HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:24 PM

Wow, thank you for the amazing photo tour!!

I've never been to Miami, but definitely want to visit soon. I agree... it's definitely looks like a cross between Vancouver and Chicago, only with the insane building pace of an Asian city!!!! I'm kinda saddened that Houston has lost it's title as "3rd tallest", but excited to see such great things going on.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:41 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Wow, thank you for the amazing photo tour!!

I've never been to Miami, but definitely want to visit soon. I agree... it's definitely looks like a cross between Vancouver and Chicago, only with the insane building pace of an Asian city!!!! I'm kinda saddened that Houston has lost it's title as "3rd tallest", but excited to see such great things going on.
Actually, in the 500 feet tall and up height range, I think Houston is still third. It is a preponderance of buildings in the 400 feet tall and up height range that are already built or under construction that gives Miami that 3rd place ranking. Miami is most certainly not 3rd tallest yet. We are 3rd largest in terms of the number of buildings that would be considered tall buildings. Some guys on other websites have come at me with raw numbers of buildings in other cities when not every building in the city is going to be considered a high-rise, nor would tall buildings in a city isolated from the skyline be considered part of the skyline.

Having lived in both Los Angeles and San Francisco, I consider Miami to be a cross between those cities and Chicago. Miami is most definitely the east coast city that is the most like California to me

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:46 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

From the JFK/79th Street Causeway

This is very near where I live in the city of Miami.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/...a6ec685c_b.jpg

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:00 PM

A very progressive city, wonderful development. Thanks for all the updates. I believe it's 3rd in terms of urban structural density, having an amount of high rises. Which fills the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:45 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
A very progressive city, wonderful development. Thanks for all the updates. I believe it's 3rd in terms of urban structural density, having an amount of high rises. Which fills the skyline.
I think we are getting there. I tell people on the websites all the time that if you haven't been here recently, it is not the Miami you think it is. In a short span of time, we've gone from being considered a Latin banana republic, a third world country taken over by Cubans to being considered one of the most sophisticated and cosmopolitan cities in the world. I'm not Latin and I don't even speak Spanish, but I've been quite comfortable here for the past 24 years. Miami has become a city where virtually anybody from anywhere in the world, regardless their background can come and not feel out of place. That is one of the things I like most about Miami. I feel more comfortable here than I would in many other U.S. cities because I think it is more progressive in that way. We are just more used to different types of people here I think than in many other parts of the country except those cities that you mentioned privately that might also be considered very progressive.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 12:04 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pausgree View Post
Wow! Miamimania ! I don't think I've seen a city's skyline transformed in such a dramtic way in such a relatively short period of time. It was a beautiful city to look at before, but now its as exciting to view as New York & Chicago. Thanks for your effort and expense in sharing these pictures.
Now this I would have to agree with, I'm amazed at the sheer amount of skyscrapers this city has built. I'm truely jealous, Long Beach could easily look like this. In fact Miami in some ways viewing the photos over the years have a similar look about it, but with less highrises and shorter.

Thanks for sharing these great photos NewAtlantisMiami, and making me aware of your thread. Seeing these makes me want to visit Miami one day.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 12:53 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Miami looks great. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures!!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 1:42 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
Miami looks great. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures!!!!
You are welcome, you guys! It was Brickell's suggestion. I hadn't even thought of doing this. I hope it helps to revitalize the market so we can get bigger and more interesting projects out of the ground.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
I rejoice at any building in the world that goes up that is over 500 feet tall. As ugly as it may be, at least it got built and it counts as a skyscraper. Historically, I'm glad we kept the old Freedom Tower, but I would trade it any day for a building over 500 feet tall.
I respect your enthusiasm for tall buildings, but I think there is a real problem with a philosophy that would tear down that ornate, gorgeous building "...any day for a building over 500 feet tall." This isn't Lego Land -- ultimately, we are building an environment for humans. This is a built environment that we're supposed to inhabit on the ground, day-to-day, and feel comfortable with.

Let's replace surface parking lots, for example, with these high-rises, with strict attention to how the new building interacts with the street. And go 500 feet if you want -- but tearing down these detailed, inspired structures like the Freedom Tower for more homogenous glass towers rips the soul out of our cities in exchange for bragging rights.

As fun as it is to watch the 'next tallest' go up, the willingness to build it "as ugly as it may be" just so it "counts as a skyscraper" will one day, in my opinion, leave our communities like ghetto, high-rise strip malls.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Milwaukee, while boasting a far more underwhelming skyline, is a very dense, older city built around transit.
I'm not going to go into the whole Milwaukee/Miami debate, but Miami is one of the most dense cities in the United States.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:33 PM

miami rocks!

love the close ups from street/beach level

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 5:29 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I respect your enthusiasm for tall buildings, but I think there is a real problem with a philosophy that would tear down that ornate, gorgeous building "...any day for a building over 500 feet tall." This isn't Lego Land -- ultimately, we are building an environment for humans. This is a built environment that we're supposed to inhabit on the ground, day-to-day, and feel comfortable with.

Let's replace surface parking lots, for example, with these high-rises, with strict attention to how the new building interacts with the street. And go 500 feet if you want -- but tearing down these detailed, inspired structures like the Freedom Tower for more homogenous glass towers rips the soul out of our cities in exchange for bragging rights.

As fun as it is to watch the 'next tallest' go up, the willingness to build it "as ugly as it may be" just so it "counts as a skyscraper" will one day, in my opinion, leave our communities like ghetto, high-rise strip malls.
I was being facetitious here. Yes, there is something wrong with that philosophy. I just get annoyed sometimes at the thinly-vailed sarcastic and cynical city-bashing disguised as intellectualism that often goes on in these threads and on other websites because it seems the same thing is not happening in somebody elses city. When people make statements so extreme they strain credibility, I have trouble believing them, just as you should have trouble believing my statement about the Freedom Tower. A mass of gleaming skyscrapers is certainly nothing to brag about when a city is so lacking in other areas, such as Miami's mass transit situation. and there is not balanced growth. Hopefully, the potential tax base provided by these properties in the sky will help us solve more of the city's problems.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:48 PM

Those "gorgeous" buildings are half empty with the condos' property values dropping like a hot potato. Miami/Miami Beach is overbuilt, PERIOD, and the consequences will be felt for years to come. Most of the new buildings have no artistic merit or beauty, just "tall".

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:13 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Here we go with this again! For those of you enjoying the pics, I'll see what else I can capture once the weather clears up down here. Maybe I'll book another ultralight tour or maybe I can shoot from atop another skyscraper. Meantime, I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:43 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaled View Post
Those "gorgeous" buildings are half empty with the condos' property values dropping like a hot potato. Miami/Miami Beach is overbuilt, PERIOD, and the consequences will be felt for years to come. Most of the new buildings have no artistic merit or beauty, just "tall".
You aren't telling me anything I don't already know, which is part of the reason why I created this thread. Since it appears you missed it, this is what I said in post #21 on page 2 of this thread in response to a previous post, so cut the city-bashing:

"No, it has proven to be not sustainable and much driven by speculators. That is why photographers like myself and others are working on projects such as the book -Miami the Magic City and I am working on my own special project, which must remain a secret for the time being. If I can't get a developer or tourism agency to finance it, I will cash in some of my own vacation time to produce it."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:35 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos