HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 8:26 PM

I love the additional height that this will give to the skyline, but it is this view that I love the most. The street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Some new Kensington renderings from u/SLC_Dev on the subreddit:

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:01 PM

I ABSOLUTELY HATE that they are demolishing the Broadway building, Tavernacle/Peoples Coffee. That is one of the many buildings that make Broadway such a unique eclectic street within the downtown core. I agree with the sentiments of those saying much of the development in the city is shit, and lacks vision of any sort. Buy the Tavernacle building and the mortuary to the north, and transfer the allowable height from the corner to that space. They could even build almost all the way to the back of the Tavernacle buildings, provide some covered parking in that area and build a step back upwards from there to the north.

The next one to go, will be the Green Ant building directly to the west. Seriously have some vision on these developments and keep the historic fabric that made people want to live in the city to begin with.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 11:38 PM
of SLC

It's all about location. It hasn't anything to do with historical value or eclectic characteristics when it comes to this strip in particular, other than personal memories experienced by an overall and overwhelmingly few. Almost nobody will remember. Just facts.

It's all about that money, man.

Hard to blame 'em.

But I don't own that property, so who am I to say?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Future_Mayor View Post
I ABSOLUTELY HATE that they are demolishing the Broadway building, Tavernacle/Peoples Coffee. That is one of the many buildings that make Broadway such a unique eclectic street within the downtown core. I agree with the sentiments of those saying much of the development in the city is shit, and lacks vision of any sort. Buy the Tavernacle building and the mortuary to the north, and transfer the allowable height from the corner to that space. They could even build almost all the way to the back of the Tavernacle buildings, provide some covered parking in that area and build a step back upwards from there to the north.

The next one to go, will be the Green Ant building directly to the west. Seriously have some vision on these developments and keep the historic fabric that made people want to live in the city to begin with.
The land the mortuary and the Tavernacle building are on and the parking lot between the two are all owned by the same entity (Worthington TPIII, LLC) per the Assessor's map. All zoned D-1. Everything to the east is zoned something else and owned by others.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
No I completely agree, my prediction to myself in 2019 was Salt Lake's population will hit 300k+ by 2030. Could be a little high and optimistic, but two events I believe will shape this are the NBA All-Star game in 2023 and the Winter Olympics in 2030 if Utah gets the bid. These will help bring in tourism and show what the city is like.
You think we'll add 100k residents in 10 years? Not going to happen.

That said, continued multifamily development should definitely lead to a higher population. I expect, as long as the residential boom continues, population could easily be 225k by 2030.

Of course, if the west side of the city ever sees residential development, Salt Lake's population could skyrocket quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I mean, isnt there like 7000 housing units being built right now? Say an average of 2.5 people per unit and that's 17500 right there and that's just what's happening right now.
You can't calculate growth that way though. It doesn't account for children moving out of their parents' houses, or other people just moving out of the city, or the fact that some of the people moving into those apartments will already live in Salt Lake City. Some of them are also replacing other single-family housing units, and those people are unlikely to move into the new apartments. Also, families are probably increasingly moving out of the city, so if say a 5-person family moves out of a house, it's unlikely the new owners of the house will be a family of 5.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Future_Mayor View Post

Do you think that there is anything that could be done to prevent this development, or force them to reconsider allowing it to happen? If it doesn't have to be reviewed by the planning commission, I feel like it's a lost cause, but what do you think?

I'm already upset that the old In the Venue building is being replaced by an absolutely soulless, awful, stubby apartment building with minimal street interaction. These cultural spaces are being lost at an alarming rate.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
You can't calculate growth that way though. It doesn't account for children moving out of their parents' houses, or other people just moving out of the city, or the fact that some of the people moving into those apartments will already live in Salt Lake City. Some of them are also replacing other single-family housing units, and those people are unlikely to move into the new apartments. Also, families are probably increasingly moving out of the city, so if say a 5-person family moves out of a house, it's unlikely the new owners of the house will be a family of 5.
Sure. The 2.5 number was an attempt to include all those variables. I have no clue. Maybe 1.5 or 2 is a better number?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Sure. The 2.5 number was an attempt to include all those variables. I have no clue. Maybe 1.5 or 2 is a better number?
I think 1.5 is likely closer to accurate. Most of the new stuff being built is either 1 bedroom or studio/micro units with fewer 2+ bedroom units.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:59 AM

Emigration Overlook

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

12 luxury condos at the mouth of Emigration Canyon
860 S Donner Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108
1.12 acres

I've seen this project before, so they must finally be ready to move forward with it.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Quote:
The Emigration Overlook project is the transformation an existing empty lot into a Luxury Condominium housing project. Situated on a west facing slope, the building will cascade down the hill to emphasize the unique character of the site and to minimize impact of the existing environment. The Project will also boast spectacular views from its rooftop terraces that will be full of lush landscaped public and private spaces. The carefully designed and verdant landscape will utilize native plant types to allow for low maintenance and to be drought tolerant and will minimize impact on the existing vegetation while enhancing the views from adjoining properties. The Architectural Design and landscape are simultaneously contextual and contemporary.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 9:08 AM

Commercial Building Permit Updates

The Lusso Apartments
Building A https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
Building B https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

The recently announced two building Lusso Apartments has filed building permits.

Address: 1025 W North Temple

Brief Description: 278 market rate residential units.

The project was recently covered in October by BSL: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/nor...-new-projects/

6X6 Development

Address: 567 E 600 S, Salt Lake City

Brief Description: 6x6 Mixed Use has a Commercial/Retail space and 5 R-2 Apartment units including a Type A accessible unit on the ground floor level.

A project I thought was long dead has been filing building permits in late December and earlier this month. It was covered in this 2018 BSL article:

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/com...d-use-project/

Greenprint Gateway Apartments

Filed in early December.

Address: 592 W 200 S, Salt Lake City

Description: 6 floors. 150 residential units.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 11:55 AM

I had given up on this ever happening. If they're actually going through with this project then development really is going gangbusters in Salt Lake.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 6:23 PM

Bueno Avenue Apartments

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...owInspection=#

Project Location: Approximately 129 S 700 East, Salt Lake City

Project Overview
Quote:
redevelopment property in the heart of Salt Lake City. This residential project will be an innovative apartment project for Salt Lake City. This building will be submitted as a “Rooming House” use under the zoning code. While being innovative, the character, design and public impact of the project will be consistent with a other existing uses and Multifamily Housing Developments in the area. This project will consist of 2 buildings: a single-story Amenity and Leasing Building, fronting 700 East; and the main 4-story apartment building on the interior of the site. The main a building will consist of 65 units ranging from 1 Bedroom to 4-bedroom units. These bedrooms will be individually leased to provide for attainable leases to residents, without seeking income restricted/government subsidized housing benefits. We believe that we can provide housing that has all of the amenities and high-end features as other new multifamily uses, while leasing at attainable rates for individuals at all income levels.

The project design takes into consideration the historical and existing uses surrounding this property. This is in a medium to high density area with several historic and older multifamily dwellings. Our design is intended to maintain the historic and residential feel while substantially improving the present aesthetics of this block. Our primary materials of brick, fiber cement and lap siding, in combination with traditional pitched and mansard rooflines will help this project to blend well with all of the surrounding uses.

This project will simultaneously improve the existing condition of this block and introduce much needed housing that thoughtfully meets the goals as set out in the City Masterplan.
Requested Applications

Existing Site Conditions and Surrounding Uses

Elevations:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 6:27 PM

SLTrib Update on downtown skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:18 PM

Good article. I wonder how much more of these proposed projects will actually get built.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Good article. I wonder how much more of these proposed projects will actually get built.
Of the ones mentioned in the article, I'd say they all have an extremely high probability of being built

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 10:42 PM

I like that the Dakota Pacific, Theater Tower, and Kensington will bring a fresh design curtain to Downtown. While I like 222, 111 and, 95 S. State I think we've had enough of that window pattern. I hope we'll see that upcoming tower described at the southern end of Main as being a style akin to the NYC Bank of America design. That would be fantastic. Also, I hope the tower that will replace the Tavernacle will be a design hit. Wondering if the curse will be broken on the pending Northest corner of the 400 S. West Temple block. Now that getting underway would be a real miracle.

Right now, seeing projects like The Post District, West Quarter, Patrinely, Brinshore, and Moda Luxe actually materialize gives me a lot of enthusiasm for Salt Lakes downtown future.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 17, 2021 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:25 AM

Where is the Dakota Pacific tower going to be built?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
Where is the Dakota Pacific tower going to be built?
To the west of Kensington Tower. It will be built on Regent Street and 200 South, where the old Eat a Burger once was.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:01 AM
Space Magi

So I stumbled across this page which is dated September 20, 2020 (not sure how we missed it). I believe this is a rendering of the most recent known 370 South West Temple proposal. I have to say that it's a little architecturally underwhelming compared to what I was expecting but I'll take it.

I think this view is facing southwest.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:52 AM

370 South West Temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So I stumbled across this page which is dated September 20, 2020 (not sure how we missed it). I believe this is a rendering of the most recent known 370 South West Temple proposal. I have to say that it's a little architecturally underwhelming compared to what I was expecting but I'll take it.

I think this view is facing southwest.
Thanks for posting Atlas!

Yeah, it is a little underwhelming and boxy, darn it. It is still really nice, though.

I do think that the view from the Southwestern corner will be a little more dynamic. The site is currently an empty lot, so I can hardly complain about a 28 floor tower going up on it either.

I also really like the overall feel of this project at street level.

Just for a reminder, I'll add the project details again.

https://thedomaincos.com/portfolio/south-west-temple/

Project Description:
Quote:
This mixed-use community in downtown Salt Lake City will include a 28-story residential high-rise, retail, two floors of shared office space, and a boutique hotel. Located in a qualified Opportunity Zone, the project will feature best-in-class design, sustainability, amenities, and services and will be positioned as Salt Lake City’s premier mixed-use development.

PROPERTY TYPE: Residential, Retail and Hospitality. Coworking. Mixed-Used, Transit-Oriented Development

APARTMENTS: 340

RETAIL SPACE: 6,200sf

OFFICE SPACE: 58,000sf

ARCHITECT: Solomon Cordwell Buenz

DEVELOPMENT COST: $230M

FINANCING: Fundamental Partners

COMPLETION DATE: Late 2023

SUSTAINABILITY: Enterprise Green Communities, Fitwel Healthy Building Certification

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West