HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 11:39 PM
World Traveler

Talking Coeur d'Alene/Sandpoint/Moscow/Idaho Pacific Time Zone Development Thread

A thread for projects/developments in Coeur d'Alene ID

Coeur d'Alene facts:
Coeur d'Alene population in 2007---44,073
Coeur d'Alene metro population in 2007---139,558
Spokane-Coeur d'Alene combined metros---590,578

Coeur d'Alene was the 4th fastest growing metro area in the country between 1990-2000 (55.7%) and the 6th fastest growing metro area in the country between 1990-2006 (88%)

Here's a list, inspired by Boizean's Boise building list, of all buildings 7 stories and higher in Coeur d'Alene either completed, under construction, planned, or never built:

Here's a quick rundown of some of the projects in the area:

Parkside Tower
20 story 213 foot tower in downtown Coeur d'Alene
Will be the city's second tallest and the state's third tallest building after completion
http://www.millerstauffer.com/pj_parksidehome.htm

Riverstone Development
160 acre mixed-use development along the Spokane River
Upon completion an estimated 2,500 people will live and another 5,000 will work at Riverstone It will include 4 165' towers, a waterfront outdoor amphitheater, 2 story parking garage, 14-screen Regal Cinemas, Hampton Inn & Suites and Marriott Residence Inn, 10-acre public park which includes a six-acre man-made lake with a 60-foot spire fountain, and 4,808 feet of frontage on the Spokane River on which a waterfront public boardwalk at Bellerive
$475 million in total investment is anticipated in Riverstone West (approximately 1/2 of Riverstone---the other 1/2 is called The Village at Riverstone, so the total project will be close to $1 billion)
http://www.riverstonedistrict.com./

The 4 Riverstone Towers are tentatively going to look like this:

Kroc Community Center
$35 million community center for North Idaho provided by Joan Kroc (wife of McDonald's founder) & the Salvation Army
http://www.salvationarmycda.org/

Post Falls Landing
235 acre mixed use development in downtown Post Falls along the Spokane River, including a hotel, condos, and a convention center
http://www.postfallslanding.com/

609 Sherman
7 story condo building on Sherman Avenue in dowtown Coeur d'Alene

RiverView Tower
Across the street from the Riverstone Development
4 story office building with one floor of underground parking
The building will have 180-degree panorama views of Lake Coeur d’Alene and the Spokane River
Building completion is targeted for December 2007 (pictures of construction progress are on the website)
www.RiverViewTower.net

The Towers at Ridgepointe
Located adjacent to the Coeur d’Alene Resort Golf Course in the Sanders Beach neighborhood in downtown Coeur d’Alene
There will be three 5 story buildings
http://www.ridgepointetowers.com

The Pointe at Post Falls
200-acre project, including Cablela's, 3 other large anchor stores, and 2 hotel sites totalling 800,000 square feet of retail space
A new freeway exit will be built because Cabela's expects over 2 million visitors a year, making it one of Idaho's largest tourist attractions

Coeur d'Alene Condominiums
5 story 74 unit condo building
$50 million construction cost

Northwest Place
Two 3 story buildings
Retail on the first floor, offices on the second and third floors
First building will be ready for tenants this fall, the second building will be completed early in 2008

Events/convention center
$18.5 million cost
Structures include a fieldhouse, pavilion, auditorium, and meeting rooms located at the Kootenai County Fairgrounds

Rathdrum equestrian community
$50 million development
207 acre site including single- and multi-family homes, two arenas, a race track, equestrian pool, veterinary facility, stables and other horse-friendly amenities plus commercial ventures including an RV park

Life Care Centers of America nursing facility in Post Falls
$50 million cost

50,000 seat indoor velodrome (for track cycling and speed skating)/Education and technology complex

Kootenai Medical Center-Post Falls site expansion
Includes construction of 5 additional buildings, including a 3-story parking garage, a 2-story cancer-care clinic, a patient exam building, a second medical office building, and possibly a second parking garage (4-story)

The Club at Black Rock
The first private residential golf community overlooking Lake Coeur d'Alene
650 acre residential project
375 custom home sites
Full service marina
Private golf course
www.blackrockidaho.com

Black Rock Phase 2
Additional 1,100 acre residential project
325 acre residential project
2nd private golf course
www.blackrockidaho.com

Bellerive
70 homes and condos along the Spokane River in the Riverstone Development, including two five story buildings
http://www.belleriveidaho.com/

Gozzer Ranch
20 minutes by car from downtown Cd’A (5 minutes by boat)
700 acre residential project
To include over 350 home sites and 30 waterfront condos
220-slip full service marina
Private golf course
Water service taxi into downtown Cd’A
http://www.discoverylandco.com/project_gozzerranch.html
http://www.gozzerranchclub.com/
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Oct 3, 2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Updated projects list

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 11:53 PM
World Traveler

Here's an article from the Spokesman Review today discussing a probable trolley running from Riverstone to downtown and other locations. The article also mentions the city's bus service. After looking at the ridership numbers, I was surprised by how many people use the bus...over 17,000 people rode CityLink in April, 2007.

The proposed trolley route:
The trolley would stop at Riverstone, the University of Idaho-Coeur d'Alene and North Idaho College. It likely would then travel to the Coeur d'Alene Resort before making stops at the new downtown library and City Hall. The trolley also would stop at the Kroc Center when it opens in 2008.

CdA trolley could connect development, downtown
Planned 3.2-mile loop called way to reduce traffic

Erica Curless
Staff writer
May 29, 2007

Coeur d'Alene may get a rubber-tired trolley this summer to haul people between the Riverstone development and downtown – a 3.2 mile loop that could decrease traffic, provide relief from skyrocketing gas prices and make the city more accessible.

"It's really important when you think about lifestyle," Riverstone developer John Stone said. "You don't have to get in the car. That's the whole purpose."

Stone, along with Black Rock Development, which is building riverfront condos in the Riverstone project, also thinks it's crucial for the mix of shops, office space, restaurants and residences to have a strong connection to downtown.

Trolleys are used in Bend, Ore., to connect a similar mixed-used development known as the Old Mill District that's not quite in the downtown corridor.

"They coexist and it's very healthy for both," Stone said.

Developers are talking with other businesses, the Coeur d'Alene Downtown Association and Coeur d'Alene Tribe, which is a partner in the free CityLink bus system, to figure out potential funding.

The plan is to start with one trolley, likely costing about $200,000, and establish a route using Northwest Boulevard and Mullan Avenue until an off-road trail system is established using the railroad right-of-way that runs parallel to Northwest Boulevard.

The trolley would stop at Riverstone, the University of Idaho-Coeur d'Alene and North Idaho College.

It likely would then travel to the Coeur d'Alene Resort before making stops at the new downtown library and City Hall.

The trolley also would stop at the Kroc Center when it opens in 2008.

The trolley would give children more access to the new community center, and provide transportation options for the poor.

"It's a modest way of mass transit," said Roger Nelson, of Black Rock Development. "I like it personally because it's not pie in the sky and is much more doable from an economic standpoint."

City Attorney Mike Gridley said the trolley isn't a top priority for the city, but it's a great vision with lots of potential.

He's glad the developers are taking the lead.

"If it evolves, and in two years from now when traffic is bumper-to-bumper on Northwest Boulevard, then maybe the city can partner," Gridley said.

"It's an idea that makes sense."

Eventually, when Coeur d'Alene's population warrants it and city streets are clogged with traffic, the developers would like to see some sort of light-rail system.

But that's at least a generation off and much too expensive for many people to take seriously.

Stone recently worked with Washington State University architecture students who did a class project on a light-rail model for Coeur d'Alene.

He said the students knew little about actual costs for the project and the projections "scared everybody" who heard the presentation.

It's the idea – and the conversation it sparks – that is important to Stone, not a theoretical plan.

For now, Stone said, he'll start looking for a rubber-tire trolley to buy and hash out the funding.

He hopes the trolley can make its first run within 60 to 90 days.

"It's worthy of a try this summer to see how it works and refine it from there," Stone said. "Downtown wants it and we want it."

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 12:13 PM

WOW! All those projects except the Terraces look very nice and will fit in very nice with every other new development in CDA.

Nice work Jim, keep it coming.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:02 PM
World Traveler

Thanks IFGuy. I'll post info on other projects as well.

I don't mind the Terraces. They are built by Duane Hagadone, who built the Cd'A Resort, Lake Tower Apartments (10 stories), Cd'A North Condos (9 stories), and Cd'A Resort Golf Course (with the floating green) among other things. His buildings are always first class. The views of Lake Cd'A and of the Cd'A Resort Golf Course will be spectacular. I was surprised, though, by how close the Terraces are to the road. I'm sure the crappy pictures of the project which I took in January don't do it justice. I'll be sure and take some new ones next month.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:56 PM

Thanks for updating us with CD'A developments. It is such a beautiful city and area too. I have seen some updates in the NW forum, but those snooty
( for the life of me I cannot figure out why they are so stuck up)
seattle and portland forumers forget there is a world east of the Cascades.
Keep the updates here since most of the Idaho forumers are in the Mountain West forum.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 7:38 PM

Digging through a lot of WA comments to find out anything on CDA was getting old, and when I say old, I don't mean as old as Mr. Boisean apparently is.....but pretty damn old.

Thank you, I love Project Threads that start out with a concise list.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 5:47 AM
Smile :)

Apparently Rathdrum will reach 65,000 in the not too distant future. A place that no one ever thinks to mention is Rathdrum...it is growing hugely.

Cd'A is gonna need to build some more towers to keep up!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:09 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Apparently Rathdrum will reach 65,000 in the not too distant future. A place that no one ever thinks to mention is Rathdrum...it is growing hugely.

Cd'A is gonna need to build some more towers to keep up!
Wow, where did you hear that? Whoever told you that is confused. I know Rathdrum is growing really fast, but the city only had 5,740 residents as of 2005 (the last year the Census came out with city numbers). The city grew 19.2% between 2000 and 2005.

You must be talking about Post Falls. A demographer who works with the Census Bureau estimates PF will hit 65,000 by 2028 (98,000 with expected annexation)---see the above post.

I agree with your sentiment about Cd'A needing more towers. Many people talk about Post Falls passing Cd'A in population. Yes, this is almost certain to happen, but it will still be a while. Assuming 2000-2005 growth rates, PF won't pass Cd'A until 2023 or 2024 (assuming no further annexation, so it might be sooner...). Cd'A is becoming denser, and more towers will be built in the upcoming years, but Cd'A will eventually max out population wise, with around 80,000 residents. At least for the next 15 or so years, Cd'A will be #1 in population in the county, PF will be #2, Hayden #3, and Rathdrum #4.

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Jun 2, 2007 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:50 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I visited Coeur d'Alene last fall with some friends and ate at Bonsai and the Spider Crab was excellent. I saw some of the Riverstone District and it looked really nice. Coeur d'Alene rules with the scenery and Sandpoint is heaven. We also drove through St. Maries and it was a really nice town especially with the St. Joe River and the tugboats , and the White Pine forest outside of St. Maries is a great place to hunt for mushrooms. I have heard that St. Maries is kind of becoming a small haven for relocating artists.
I wish I had taken pictures of St. Maries and Wallace. I filled up my SANDisk with pics of Coeur d'Alene the Lake and Sandpoint and Lake Pend' Oreille.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I visited Coeur d'Alene last fall with some friends and ate at Bonsai and the Spider Crab was excellent. I saw some of the Riverstone District and it looked really nice. Coeur d'Alene rules with the scenery and Sandpoint is heaven. We also drove through St. Maries and it was a really nice town especially with the St. Joe River and the tugboats , and the White Pine forest outside of St. Maries is a great place to hunt for mushrooms. I have heard that St. Maries is kind of becoming a small haven for relocating artists.
I wish I had taken pictures of St. Maries and Wallace. I filled up my SANDisk with pics of Coeur d'Alene the Lake and Sandpoint and Lake Pend' Oreille.
Well, do ya thang brotha. Post up the pics. We'd love to see them.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:56 PM
Smile :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
Wow, where did you hear that? Whoever told you that is confused. I know Rathdrum is growing really fast, but the city only had 5,740 residents as of 2005 (the last year the Census came out with city numbers). The city grew 19.2% between 2000 and 2005.

You must be talking about Post Falls. A demographer who works with the Census Bureau estimates PF will hit 65,000 by 2028 (98,000 with expected annexation)---see the above post.

I agree with your sentiment about Cd'A needing more towers. Many people talk about Post Falls passing Cd'A in population. Yes, this is almost certain to happen, but it will still be a while. Assuming 2000-2005 growth rates, PF won't pass Cd'A until 2023 or 2024 (assuming no further annexation, so it might be sooner...). Cd'A is becoming denser, and more towers will be built in the upcoming years, but Cd'A will eventually max out population wise, with around 80,000 residents. At least for the next 15 or so years, Cd'A will be #1 in population in the county, PF will be #2, Hayden #3, and Rathdrum #4.
Well, I read in the Rathdrum Star (you probably don't get it...it serves the northern half of the KC) that if and when Rathdrum develops all of is area of impact (or some technical term) that the city would have a population of 65,000 people. If you think about it though, it really isn't that unreasonable, because the potential city limits for Rathdrum are pretty big...it goes to the mid-point between hayden and rathdrum on the east, it continues south to the northern border of PF, it could go as far north of just south of Twin lakes etc.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:50 PM
World Traveler

I can see it happening eventually. I never rule anything out, but even assuming annexation, which is probable, 65,000 population is so far away from Rathdrum now, it is hard to imagine this happening anytime soon.

Assuming 50% growth every 5 years (more than 3x the current growth rate), Rathdrum wouldn't get to 65,000 until after 2040. A city sustaining 50% growth for over 35 years is really unprecedented.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:07 PM
World Traveler

Tall buildings proposed:

1. Riverstone Development 20 floors 250 feet 76 meters
2. additional 4 towers in Riverstone 14 floors each 165 feet each

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:37 PM

Thanks for pulling this thread together jimthemanincda. I didn't think CDA was getting the attention it deserves being contained within the Spokane thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
I can see it happening eventually. I never rule anything out, but even assuming annexation, which is probable, 65,000 population is so far away from Rathdrum now, it is hard to imagine this happening anytime soon.
This is entirely possible if you look at Meridian over the past 37 years (especially the last 17);

1970 - 2,616
1980 - 6,658
1990 - 9,596
2000 - 34,919
2007 - 71,866

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:05 PM
World Traveler

I'm want to get the top spot on page 2 of this thread to post information on more developments going on around town, so I'm going to use the next two posts to get there.

Information on Coeur d'Alene's tallest buildings:

1. Coeur d'Alene Resort 18 floors 216 feet 66 meters (1989)
2. Parkside 20 floors 213 feet 65 meters (u/c)
3. McEuen Terrace 15 floors 171 feet 52 meters (2002)
4. Lake Tower Apartments 10 floors 114 feet (1975)
5. Cd'A North Condos 9 floors 103 feet (1984)

[The city currently has the 2nd and 3rd tallest buildings in the state]

Right now there are 4 tower cranes in town: 1 at Parkside, 1 at the Terraces, and 2 at Riverstone

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Jun 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 3:04 PM

That looks like its going to have better access to the airport.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 3:27 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
That looks like its going to have better access to the airport.
Yes, I agree. Access is fine right now off of Hwy. 95, but it should be good in the future if the airport were to get commercial flights again (I don't know if you're familiar with the area, but Cd'A doesn't have commercial flights right now, though it used to in the 80s and 90s. There really is no need now with the Spokane airport---as large as the Boise airport---being so close to Cd'A, although I think in the next 10-20 years there will be a local push for some flights out of Cd'A).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:10 PM
World Traveler

Cd'A Resort---21 years old

A little about the Coeur d'Alene Resort, the city's signature building...

Before (May 1980 after the Mt. St. Helens eruption---yes, that is ash on the ground):

During constrution (1986):

Now (a world-class destination):

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:11 PM
World Traveler

Tomorrow I'll put up an old article from 20 years ago predicting Cd'A's "future." It is surprisingly very, very accurate.

Article from last year on the Resort's 20th Anniversary:
The Coeur d'Alene Resort 20 years ... and counting

COEUR d'ALENE -- It was 20 years ago today that thousands stood in the rain for their first look at what would soon be known as a world-class hotel.

In an era when unemployment was in double digits in some parts of North Idaho and in a city that few outside the state could pronounce, it was seen by some as a risk that could ruin the man who conceived the project and saw it through to completion.

But on that rainy Sunday, nothing could dampen the confidence of Duane Hagadone, as he stood in line to greet as many as 25,000 visitors to The Coeur d'Alene, a Resort on the Lake on its first day open.

"It was huge," Hagadone said. "People were lined up through the park. They waited two to three hours. It was unbelievable.

"I stood there and shook hands for nine hours. I never got a chance to leave. It was a great day."

Hagadone owns The Press and other newspapers in the Northwest, and often held functions at the North Shore, a nine-story hotel and convention center that was the flagship of Western Frontiers, a company that included partners Bob Templin, Bill Reagan Sr. and Joseph Jaeger Jr., who ran a restaurant in Ritzville.

"I learned a great deal from them," said Jerry Jaeger, who began working for his dad in that restaurant in 1960 and later joined Western Frontiers. "In fact Bill's son, Bill Jr., is general manager of The Resort today."

The relationships would prove valuable in laying the groundwork for Hagadone's vision.

"When Bob (Templin) and Bill (Reagan) decided to sell the company they went straight to Duane and asked if he had an interest," Jaeger said.

Hagadone didn't hesitate. On June 6, 1983, Western Frontiers became Hagadone Hospitality with Jaeger as junior partner.

"I acquired the property only on the condition that Jerry Jaeger came on as a partner to run it," Hagadone said. "I, being a newspaper publisher, knew nothing about the hospitality business."

It didn't take long before plans were made for an elaborate makeover of the waterfront property that included the hotel, the convention center and Templin's Restaurant.

"I always thought that it deserved to be a world-class hotel," Hagadone said. "It was on the shore of one of the five most beautiful lakes in the world, downtown, near an international airport."

He traveled the country, with an eye in particular on the Northwest, to see what kind of competition he would face. Others, he found, weren't modern, weren't quality or up to date.

"I wanted to make sure we were No. 1 in the Northwest," Hagadone said. "I wanted to make it 20 percent better than anything else in the Northwest."

He already owned a construction company, which several years before built Kootenai Memorial Hospital -- since renamed Kootenai Medical Center -- and other large projects, and soon was brainstorming with architect R.G. Nelson and John Barlow, president of Hagadone Construction to make his vision a reality.

One of the biggest challenges Hagadone gave them was building the resort while continuing to operate the existing facilities.

"It was something most architects wouldn't get in to," Nelson said.

He asked Hagadone to tear down the hotel and start from scratch, but accepted that that was not economically feasible.

Though the concept developed quickly, sometimes Hagadone's ideas caught even his partner off guard.

Jaeger recalls a presentation in Spokane in 1984, where Hagadone described the Hagadone Suite on the top floor, a Jacuzzi hanging off the side of the building, and a glass-bottomed pool.

"I'm feverishly writing," Jaeger said. "That wasn't in the design."

Hagadone credits Jaeger's hospitality skills for the success of The Coeur d'Alene Resort.

"Jerry has really been the guy who's run the hotel," he said.

Jaeger has as much praise for Hagadone.

"The vision of Duane Hagadone is incredible," he said. "It was the combination of his vision and a wonderful team of employees who made it a success."

It was the same a few years later, when Hagadone decided to build a golf course on the other side of town on a closed sawmill site.

"He asked me what I saw," Jaeger said. "I said an old sawmill that needs to be torn down. He said, 'I see a beautiful golf course.'

"He pointed to a log boom and asked me what I saw. I told him I saw a log boom. He saw a log boom in the shape of a green. He said, 'If they can float logs there, we can float a green.' That's exactly how the floating green became reality."

Five years after The Resort opened, the golf course and Plaza Shoppes opened.

"The first five years we did a lot of customer surveys," Jaeger said. "They loved The Resort and the community, but said it needed a golf course and downtown shopping."

Hagadone is pleased with the success of his vision.

"It's turned out to be a wonderful resort," he said. "It's been a good investment for the Hagadone Corporation and for all of North Idaho."

The project

John Barlow was in his mid-30s, having formed Hagadone Construction Company with Duane Hagadone at age 28, after being in construction since 1972.

He knew he was facing a tough project, and a tough deadline, with orders to complete an 18-story hotel and new convention center in 15 months against daunting obstacles.

"For all but four months, the North Shore was to stay open while we built above and around it," he said.

"There was water on three sides, and a hotel on the fourth."

He'd overseen construction of Kootenai Memorial Hospital, but on a less restrictive schedule.

He had one thing on his side.

"If not for the depressed market, we would have had a hard time getting enough skilled labor," he said.

Normally, there would be one supervisor overseeing the entire job.

At times during the construction, there were as many as 10 working on the hotel.

"It created a fiefdom of each guy," Barlow said.

The payroll of Hagadone Construction was around 400, he said, with as many as 1,000 subcontractors and off-site workers.

"It truly was a difficult and challenging project because of the details and the quality of the work," Barlow said. "The time frame, with two winters and one summer, was hard. It would have been nice if it had been two summers and one winter."

Instead, during those winters of 84-85 and 85-86, the weather was spectacularly cold, enough to freeze over much of Lake Coeur d'Alene.

That was just one challenge, but they got through with no disasters, and only a few miscommunications. Like the chairs for Beverly's, The Resort's upper-level view restaurant, with frames built in Europe to be upholstered in North Carolina.

As finishing time drew near, no frames had been delivered, so they decided to airfreight the specially ordered fabric to Europe for completion.

"In the spring of 1986 two planes crossed paths over the Atlantic," Barlow said. "One carried the frames to North Carolina, and the other the upholstery headed to Europe."

Word of that led to a short, awkward silence during the ensuing phone call, Barlow said, but the chairs were finally delivered on time.

The logistics of construction with limited access meant bringing in massive amounts of material through a corridor from the old convention center, where the parking garage now sits. With hundreds of workers moving through the six-foot-wide, 500-foot-long passage, it was so busy it became known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

It was just one of the memorable parts of the construction that concluded just in time for his 36th birthday on May 3, 1986.

"It was rewarding to look back on," Barlow said. "But when it was finished, we didn't want to go back in, I was so tired."

He credits the leadership of his boss for inspiring those who worked for him, even as the deadline for completion loomed and much work remained to be done.

"We had discussions to learn how to finish on time," Barlow said. "We said if we decided we can, we will, but if there's any doubt, it will unravel.

"Duane bred an infection to get it done."

The result

In July 1986, Forbes magazine did a story on The Coeur d'Alene Resort.

"Duane Hagadone has built himself a fancy resort hotel in the middle of nowhere. Why?" the writer asked.

Hagadone scoffs at the notion the project was a risk.

"There were definitely those that thought it was a huge risk," he said. "I didn't think it was a risk at all, but it far exceeded my expectations."

It didn't take long to prove them wrong.

"It was pretty immediate, pretty drastic," said Jonathan Coe, then in Sandpoint, where unemployment was 17 percent in 1984, and now president of the Coeur d'Alene Area Chamber of Commerce. "It put Coeur d'Alene on the map. It's getting Coeur d'Alene and North Idaho to a much larger market."

At the time The Resort was built, it was hard to find a job in the area, he said.

"In some ways it seemed preposterous that Duane could create this resort in this area."

Gary Norton had made a fortune in the electronics industry before selling out and buying a small airport in Athol a few years before Duane Hagadone decided to build a resort on the lake.

Norton was about ready to sell the Henley Aerodrome and move on until he saw what The Coeur d'Alene Resort meant to North Idaho.

"It inspired me to put the effort and money into Silverwood," he said.

Though he knew it was not a great business model, the theme park he opened was a fun hobby for about a decade before it began making money. But he followed the model he saw at The Coeur d'Alene.

"If you build real quality, people will come," he said. "He built for quality, and people came. Now, we sell thousands of hotel rooms a night."

Nancy DiGiammarco is Silverwood's marketing manager now, but was a recent Southern California transplant not involved with tourism when The Coeur d'Alene opened. She and her family were among the ones standing in the rain for a tour on Sunday, May 4, 1986.

"At the very end was the best surprise," she said. "Duane and Lola (Hagadone's wife) were shaking every person's hand. We were impressed that this gentleman who built this facility would do that.

"We look back at that event as what started tourism and put Coeur d'Alene on the map.

"The next year Gary opened Silverwood. The Coeur d'Alene Resort was a stroke of genius that did this region a huge favor. My ad does not say 'Athol.' It says 'Coeur d'Alene.'"

The next chapter

By the early 1990s The Coeur d'Alene Resort had been named the No. 1 Travel Product in the world by Conde Nast, a New York publication with a million readers. The golf course has consistently ranked in the top 20 among golf publications, sharing space on a list that includes Pebble Beach, among others.

But Duane Hagadone was not content to let his hotel and all its amenities rest on its laurels.

The course underwent a multimillion dollar improvement over the winter, and The Resort's new rooms have been remodeled. Renovations to the lobby began this week, and that and the new 30,000-square-foot spa are expected to be completed on schedule in early June.

Complete modernization and reconfiguration of the 25,000-square-foot Conference Center will also be done by June.

The Hagadone Suite is being transformed into an ultra-exclusive private bungalow, complete with personal butler.

"It's spectacular," Jaeger said. "It's safe to say The Resort will be better than it was 20 years ago."

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:16 PM
Always running Late

Coeur d'Alene is so pretty... that lake and priest lake.. are national treasures as far as I'm concerned...
Love to see that the developements are upscale...
As the area grows.. CdA just might need an airport expansion like you say..
flying into spokane is kind of out of the way for u all... seeing as how the airport is on the west side of town
they should have put an airport between the two cities and had a large metro airport...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West