HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:47 AM
recession proof

Many green bike lanes in KW - Belmont, King St, University etc. The roundabouts here though you have to be very careful to watch for the rare cyclists.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:20 PM

In terms of total volume, 2020’s 1.55 million sales produced the worst calendar-year sales outcome since – you guessed it – the 2009 meltdown’s 1.46 million units.

Ford was still the market share leader in Canada with 232198 units sold at a hair under 15% of Canadian auto market share for 2020.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/column/...brands-in-2020

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:24 PM

There was a nice bump for people reselling 2009 model vehicles, anybody who bought a 2020 will see higher than normal value on a resale. Congrats!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
In terms of total volume, 2020’s 1.55 million sales produced the worst calendar-year sales outcome since – you guessed it – the 2009 meltdown’s 1.46 million units.

Ford was still the market share leader in Canada with 232198 units sold at a hair under 15% of Canadian auto market share for 2020.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/column/...brands-in-2020
from the article:

These types of pictures infuriate me. Some asswipe has to drive his truck through the wilderness because...because....no fucking reason except he is a fucking asswipe. Often they will show a truck driving up a mountain stream (ruining the creek bed, but ol' coal-roller don't give two shits about that).

from the same article: fucking fucktard and his fucking fugly fruck.

Whomever drove this vehicle, and whomever filmed it, should rot in hell:

YEEEE-HAWWW!!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
These types of pictures infuriate me. Some asswipe has to drive his truck through the wilderness because...because....no fucking reason except he is a fucking asswipe. Often they will show a truck driving up a mountain stream (ruining the creek bed, but ol' coal-roller don't give two shits about that).
On the bright side, nobody paying $40k for a pickup will likely do that. Can't get the baby scratched or dinged.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:43 PM

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ts/6628228002/

General Motors' costs to make electric vehicles will drop by nearly a third from what it spends now making the Chevrolet Bolt when it launches the GMC Hummer pickup late this year.

And GM will offer an electric Hummer SUV and another all-electric pickup beyond the Hummer soon, said Doug Parks, GM's executive vice president of global product development.

The Ultium architecture has allowed GM to develop EVs at a dramatically faster pace, Parks said. GM has said it will bring 30 new EVs to market by 2025. "You guys can do the math, this thing is going to happen sooner rather than later," he said.

Finally, Parks said GM is looking at its retail process and car dealerships. Late last year, Cadillac offered dealers a buyout if those dealers did not want to upgrade their stores to sell EVs.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 5:29 PM

I still like GM's chances of being the best positioned to really lead the transition to EV's to that of Tesla as their dealership structure, reach and existing connections to markets and their price points are just so much further ahead than Tesla and their development of EV's is far better than that of Ford, Toyota and Honda.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-...2035-1.5892074

General Motors has set a goal of making the vast majority of the vehicles it produces electric by 2035, and the entire company carbon neutral, including operations, five years after that.

The Detroit automaker's push into electric vehicles has gone into overdrive this year.

GM has already announced that it will invest $27 billion US in electric and autonomous vehicles in the next five years, a 35 per cent increase over plans made before the pandemic. It will offer 30 all-electric models worldwide by the middle of the decade. By the end of 2025, 40 per cent of its U.S. models will be battery electric vehicles. The company plans to include crossovers, SUVs, sedans and trucks in its electric vehicle lineup.

GM said Thursday that it will source 100 per cent renewable energy to power its U.S. sites by 2030 and global sites by 2035. That's five years faster than its previously announced global goal.

And it has a goal of making all new light-duty vehicles, the vast majority of its fleet, fully electric within 14 years. The company will concentrate on offering zero-emissions vehicles in different prices ranges. It's also working with others, including the Environmental Defense Fund, to build out the necessary infrastructure to power its electric vehicles and to promote their use.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
I still like GM's chances of being the best positioned to really lead the transition to EV's to that of Tesla as their dealership structure, reach and existing connections to markets and their price points are just so much further ahead than Tesla and their development of EV's is far better than that of Ford, Toyota and Honda.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-...2035-1.5892074

General Motors has set a goal of making the vast majority of the vehicles it produces electric by 2035, and the entire company carbon neutral, including operations, five years after that.

The Detroit automaker's push into electric vehicles has gone into overdrive this year.

GM has already announced that it will invest $27 billion US in electric and autonomous vehicles in the next five years, a 35 per cent increase over plans made before the pandemic. It will offer 30 all-electric models worldwide by the middle of the decade. By the end of 2025, 40 per cent of its U.S. models will be battery electric vehicles. The company plans to include crossovers, SUVs, sedans and trucks in its electric vehicle lineup.

GM said Thursday that it will source 100 per cent renewable energy to power its U.S. sites by 2030 and global sites by 2035. That's five years faster than its previously announced global goal.

And it has a goal of making all new light-duty vehicles, the vast majority of its fleet, fully electric within 14 years. The company will concentrate on offering zero-emissions vehicles in different prices ranges. It's also working with others, including the Environmental Defense Fund, to build out the necessary infrastructure to power its electric vehicles and to promote their use.
That's a very North America-centric view. People always forget Volkswagen usually swaps the title of world's bestselling car maker with Toyota. And VW is way ahead of GM in electrification.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:49 PM

Once pick-up trucks go electric, they will sell like hotcakes. Big cars and SUVs will also sell like hotcakes. The only thing that reduces sales is fuel consumption.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
That's a very North America-centric view. People always forget Volkswagen usually swaps the title of world's bestselling car maker with Toyota. And VW is way ahead of GM in electrification.
VW is always in the top 3 with Toyota and GM for global sales leader however here in the North American market they just never take off for whatever reason. I would like to see VW have greater market share here as their products I personally prefer over Toyota and Honda.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Once pick-up trucks go electric, they will sell like hotcakes. Big cars and SUVs will also sell like hotcakes. The only thing that reduces sales is fuel consumption.
They already sell like hotcakes. Fuel consumption seemingly doesn't seem to affect sales much when things are good economically. Fuel is a smaller percentage of vehicle cost relative to depreciation.

Now, if a recession hits or interest rates spike, that will take a lot of the air out of the market. People tend to think in terms of monthly payments and not total purchase price - so a 7 year loan at <3% looks good from a monthly payment point of view.

There's not much left to make that look more attractive. Longer loan periods start to bounce up against the lifespan of the vehicle. Interest rates are near rock bottom.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 12:29 AM

Something to keep in mind is that BEVs become cost competitive with gas cars, at about $100/kwh. Unsubsidized. The industry was down to $137/kWh in 2020 with some OEMs already below $100/kWh. Forecasts say they'll be down to $101/kWh by 2023 across the sector:

https://about.bnef.com/blog/battery-...ts-at-137-kwh/

So by about 2025-2026, I think we should be able to walk into a dealership and have a plethora of BEV models on sale that are at or close to parity (within 15%) with similar gas models.

This is why GM is moving now. I fully expect their plans to accelerate as their tech, battery supply and manufacturing processes improve. Ditto for other OEMs. By 2030, new cars with tailpipes will be for the poors in the developing world.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:28 AM

GM is already way behind the 8 ball. It's a good plan on paper, but I won't be holding my breath.

I'm betting at least 2 huge automakers miss the transition and go bankrupt or get bought out. GM is still high on that list.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
GM is already way behind the 8 ball. It's a good plan on paper, but I won't be holding my breath.

I'm betting at least 2 huge automakers miss the transition and go bankrupt or get bought out. GM is still high on that list.
I highly doubt that do you even follow the auto industry? Chrysler is in the biggest trouble as they are just living off the success of Ram trucks right now with still no clear plan for electrifying their vehicle platforms. With Tesla's high stock valuation a rumored possibility is them possibly having a friendly takeover of either Ford or GM. Ford might be more likely as their electrification plan is still far behind that of VW and GM. If you had Tesla passenger cars coupled with Ford's F-150, Mustang, and Ford Bronco vehicle lineup they would be incredibly dominant and have a license to print money with that kind of popular vehicle lineup.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 2:02 AM

The Japanese car makers could also be in big trouble as Japan is far behind in their electrification goals and the associated cost of switching to ev's. GM will already be building ev's for Honda and Acura as they are not capable to do it on their own.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/push-to-...cars-1.1556956

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/38648/...onda-and-acura

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 2:17 AM

Quote:
The Japanese car makers could also be in big trouble as Japan is far behind in their electrification goals and the associated cost of switching to ev's. GM will already be building ev's for Honda and Acura as they are not capable to do it on their own.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/push-to-...cars-1.1556956

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/38648/...onda-and-acura
Honda is the world’s largest ICE manufacturer, so they may not have it in their DNA to transition to the BEV world. They’re also much smaller than Toyota (or GM or VW) and probably can’t fund their own battery tech.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Honda won’t survive the decade, but they don’t seem to be in a good spot. Their HEV, the Clarity, is the ugliest car in Canada since the Pontiac Aztek - and doesn’t fit the sharp styling of their latest models of cars. It’s almost as if they want it to fail.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Honda is the world’s largest ICE manufacturer, so they may not have it in their DNA to transition to the BEV world. They’re also much smaller than Toyota (or GM or VW) and probably can’t fund their own battery tech.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Honda won’t survive the decade, but they don’t seem to be in a good spot. Their HEV, the Clarity, is the ugliest car in Canada since the Pontiac Aztek - and doesn’t fit the sharp styling of their latest models of cars. It’s almost as if they want it to fail.
this is a big reason why GM and Ford got out of the car market and focus just on SUV's and trucks as the profit margins from them this past decade built up their cash reserves to be ready to switch to ev's especially GM. Toyota and Honda the past few years seem to just be coasting on their past name recognition for building good cars but have been producing bland vehicles that are not forward thinking or breaking new ground in advances. Couple that with the far smaller profit margins generated per vehicle on Toyota and Honda cars they could be in for a tough transition in 5-10 years. I dont think they will go under but they need to step up their game big time.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 2:39 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

I think the Japanese automakers are going to undergo some consolidation.

There's five or six major manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi) from a country of ~125 million.

I could see Toyota surviving - they're the strongest and have already some battery experience. Nissan's in a partnership with Renault and Mitsubishi. The smaller ones (which Honda is globally) are going to face some pretty big headwinds.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

I'm going to bet that their plans accelerate. Right now the biggest constraint is battery supply. Personally, I'd give better odds to GM than Fiat-chrysler.

Quote:
Ford might be more likely as their electrification plan is still far behind that of VW and GM.
Far behind VW. But I don't know if they are that far behind GM.

Ultimately in all this it's battery supply and software that are limiters. Among legacy automakers, I'd argue they Ford is better on software. What they need to build up is battery supply.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Feb 1, 2021 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I'm going to bet that their plans accelerate. Right now the biggest constraint is battery supply. Personally, I'd give better odds to GM than Fiat-chrysler.
That's like giving better odds to the Yankees than the Blue Jays.

Fiat-Chrysler (er, Stellantis) is the new global British Leyland. Competing against a company that seems to just want to add more brands and bits isn't something that's hard to overcome.

GM has focus at least. It used to prop up corpses (Saab, Saturn, Open/Vauxhall, small cars in North America) out of a misplaced sense of needing to have a global operation. It now knows that's a fool's errand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada