HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Another translation-----in 2020 there will be a 6 month program where 3 or 4 workers along with 2 supervisors are assigned to clean up a couple blocks in one of the river wards, but half way into the program Philly.com finds out that the workers have never been issued any equipment and besides picking up liter in a local park during the first week no other trash removal has been done.
At the end of the pilot program the mayor declares the program a total success and promises to seek State funds to expend the program to the whole City; the State House breaks out in laughter and passes a declaration pronouncing that Philly is official a clean city, and then adjoins for a 3 month recess, but only after passing themselves a pay raise and a increase in retirement benefits. The 40th annual bottle bill was tabled in committee.
Nice. We are a cynical group it seems.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Nice. We are a cynical group it seems.
Given that this is only coming up in the context of election season when the mayor failed to act on campaign promise, I think this bout of cynicism is justified.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Given that this is only coming up in the context of election season when the mayor failed to act on campaign promise, I think this bout of cynicism is justified.
What election? You mean some warm body from the inept GOP will try to unseat a Democratic incumbent in a city that hasn't seen an incumbent mayor lose a re-election in at least the last 75 years (Wikipedia entries on mayors before this are slim on details). Somehow, I doubt the upcoming election has any influence whatsoever on Kenny's decision making. I can't even think of a scenario in which Kenny or any incumbent could lose a re-election campaign. The only competitive elections in this city are the Democratic primaries.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
What election? You mean some warm body from the inept GOP will try to unseat a Democratic incumbent in a city that hasn't seen an incumbent mayor lose a re-election in at least the last 75 years (Wikipedia entries on mayors before this are slim on details). Somehow, I doubt the upcoming election has any influence whatsoever on Kenny's decision making. I can't even think of a scenario in which Kenny or any incumbent could lose a re-election campaign. The only competitive elections in this city are the Democratic primaries.
The primary will likely be contested - Butkowitz already said he's running and Anthony Hardy Williams might make a go of it again.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 10:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

What do you all think of Randall Pearson running against Congressman Sol Brown?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
“Right now we are looking at a possible pilot program, hopefully in the spring..."

Translated, sometime in 2021. Could you possibly maybe partly utter a sentence with more hedging, potentially?

In the meantime, write to your state rep and ask that they get the Bottle Bill back on the table. There's probably $10,000 worth of bottles on just Washington Ave alone.

Where's 1487 when you need him/her to defend the city with this:

"Philadelphia is the only big city without regular street cleaning." (so pathetic)
That being said, I've met Nic Esposito during my CPI courses and he's pretty legit. He's genuinely passionate about cleaning up Philly and doing his job well.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
The primary will likely be contested - Butkowitz already said he's running and Anthony Hardy Williams might make a go of it again.
Interesting, though it's a long shot to unseat an incumbent. I think one of the problems in this city is that the Red-Blue dynamic that works nationwide isn't relevant in Philadelphia (or many other big cities). I'd love to see non-partisan elections, the formation of a "reform" party, or something that will make general elections more competitive and interesting. There's been instances of politicians switching parties in order to run for office, proving the point that party affiliation matters very little in this city.

Can I assume that pressure to challenge Kenney is coming from the beverage industry?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Interesting, though it's a long shot to unseat an incumbent. I think one of the problems in this city is that the Red-Blue dynamic that works nationwide isn't relevant in Philadelphia (or many other big cities). I'd love to see non-partisan elections, the formation of a "reform" party, or something that will make general elections more competitive and interesting. There's been instances of politicians switching parties in order to run for office, proving the point that party affiliation matters very little in this city.

Can I assume that pressure to challenge Kenney is coming from the beverage industry?
For better or worse, the primary's ARE THE ELECTION and you need to identify a candidate whose vision aligns most closely with yours and endorse them. Just the way it is.

In terms of Red/Blue dynamic, major east coast cities just are never going to elect a pro-gun, pro-life, anti-immigrant, anti-entitlements, anti-union, anti-environment, tax cuts for the wealthy, build-the-wall R. If an R has a shot, they will probably espouse mostly D policies with a centrist, I'm-an-outsider-drain-the-swamp twist. Not trying to be political, but them's the facts.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
hahahaha

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 8:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

So you're saying he's got a chance?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
In terms of Red/Blue dynamic, major east coast cities just are never going to elect a pro-gun, pro-life, anti-immigrant, anti-entitlements, anti-union, anti-environment, tax cuts for the wealthy, build-the-wall R. If an R has a shot, they will probably espouse mostly D policies with a centrist, I'm-an-outsider-drain-the-swamp twist. Not trying to be political, but them's the facts.
Of course. That's what I'm saying. Essentially, the general election is a charade and a waste of resources. It's as if the Democrat has to "run a campaign" so as not to insult the Republican candidate. That's why I suggested non-partisan elections.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
What about term limits, one 5 year term for mayor, and maybe two 3 years terms for City council and another term if you are council president? I acknowledge that who is mayor does make a difference (just compare Nutter who tried to do some interesting things, to Kinney who has done what, besides the soda tax?) but if there was the possibility of new blood in council on a regular basis, maybe that could lead to change.
I'm torn; there's a number of council members like Janie Blackwell who might serve her voters pretty good (fix the pothole in my street) but who are terrible for the overall good of the City. But yet no one even tries to put together a half baked campaign against her in the primary. I've firmly convinced that she will be in office for as long as she wants to be. She'll probably get elected a couple of times after she is dead. As long as there's 4 or 5 "Blackwell's" on City council it's hard to be very positive about fresh air in City gov't.

I'd love to see and support a 'reform party' but I'm guessing that would be an expensive operation to set up and get out of the starting blocks. Expensive as in millions of dollars. I think it would have to be more then just a bunch of candidates who get their name of the Nov. ballot, but street workers and advertising and the machinery of a true party (along with the bribes and kickbacks!)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
A few pages ago we talked about an ill-placed storage facility. Here's another one at the corner of Leverington and Main Street in Manayunk where the old Rambo's Ice used to be. I thought they were building condos or apartments here but construction is nearly done and yea, it's a self storage place. Close to the shops and restaurants of Main Street, the toepath, and the train station....but hey, at least the neighbors don't have to worry about more cars fighting for spots. No wonder this project didn't cause any controversy.
If it's any consolation, I just walked by on the SRT earlier and saw that someone is building a fairly sizeable apartment building right across the street.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:32 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Another cafe building coming to Dilworth Park, this time on the south side.

https://www.phila.gov/historical/mee...nnedy-Blvd.pdf

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:46 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Nice. Renders show Starbucks. La Columbe would of been better.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Nice. Renders show Starbucks. La Columbe would of been better.
There's one literally across the street on the ground floor of RATR.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
There's one literally across the street on the ground floor of RATR.
This is awesome. These incremental European-style additions are great. This will do well, especially during Winter Fest.

Like Bryant Park, I've always wondered why Rittenhouse Square doesn't do something like this? There's so much space particularly in the more neighorhood-y southwest corner. A walk-up cafe with a few tables to grab a cup of coffee on the morning commute or a beer on the walk home. Obviously these are revenue generating, funds would go to the park - perhaps they could use the extra $$ to upgrade the annual abomination that is our Christmas tree?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:28 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
This is awesome. These incremental European-style additions are great. This will do well, especially during Winter Fest.

Like Bryant Park, I've always wondered why Rittenhouse Square doesn't do something like this? There's so much space particularly in the more neighorhood-y southwest corner. A walk-up cafe with a few tables to grab a cup of coffee on the morning commute or a beer on the walk home. Obviously these are revenue generating, funds would go to the park - perhaps they could use the extra $$ to upgrade the annual abomination that is our Christmas tree?
I am glad they are adding to it but I miss the days we used to skate board in Love Park & at City Hall. Now it's just a bunch of well off people walking around ordering coffee and reading. SMH.
I love that philly is getting developed but I hate that it's at the expense of its culture a lot of times.
I am afraid we will eventually become a bland McManhattan.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:28 PM

I love it! I really wish it was not a starbucks though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development