Rice 24 38.10%
Noodles 34 53.97%
Don't understand, I'm a barbarian 3 4.76%
My palate is not east or southeast Asian 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:41 AM
Registered Drug User

My inspiration for starting this thread:

Sichuan Three Pepper Pork Belly Stir-fry.

I bought a slab of pork belly just to make this. We used regular green bell pepper and omitted the Sichuan peppercorns because we couldn't find any, but it was still absolutely the best dish my wife and I have ever cooked in our house. It left us hovering in mid-air off the food endorphins.

It's not actually all that spicy hot. The flavour is subtle and complex, and the pork belly goes a long way to explaining why it's so good. A slight caution: it's somewhat acrid, so you'll need to open some windows for ventilation while cooking, and your kitchen and clothes will be marked with the faint aroma of smoky oil for a day or so.

Works best with a gas flame on high so that you can char the peppers properly. Therein lies the secret of Sichuan food, doncha know.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:49 AM
Community Guy

Oyakodon is special. When I am in Tokyo I specifically go to Sunshine City to get it from a specific place. The classic chicken or the egg conundrum.

That said, a cutlet from CoCo's after a night out is sublime.

Having said that, noodles all the way.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:55 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^^It's always a thrill when you take a stab at some new recipe, and it comes out better than expected. I did laugh when you mentioned the smell in your clothes. As a habitual restaurant-goer in Shanghai, my and my wife's clothes were constantly smelling of what we ate hours before.

As for Chinese-style pork belly, it may just be the GOAT way to eat pork. I know pork is the focus of thousands of dishes the world over, but eating a well-prepared hong shou rou is truly one of life's great pleasure.

And speaking of pork, how could I forget the classic Taiwanese dish of lu rou fan (pork rice). It's delicious simplicity in a bowl.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:09 AM

This thread made it 3 pages? Jesus, this forum is really in the doldrums.

Noodles I guess. If the OP’r is really into noodles, then maybe come to Vancouver...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

Noodles I guess. If the OP’r is really into noodles, then maybe come to Vancouver...
It's pandemicly induced hunger. Try "ramen row", Robson Street.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Laksa is a very strong argument for noodles. It's probably my favourite soup noodle dish, but if the noodles were missing I don't think I'd care. A good laksa broth is godly. I'd bathe in that stuff.

Another rice dish I didn't mention, but I love is deep fried pork cutlet curry on rice. Massively popular in Japan and Korea, it's the ultimate comfort food.

I'll say. Damn, I ate an awful lot of that during my last stay in Tokyo...truly one of the world's greatest food cities anywhere.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 3:17 AM

Is it rice - or a noodle ?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:33 PM

"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something." - Mitch Hedberg

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:44 PM
Community Guy

Classic reference from a gem.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 4:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Is it rice - or a noodle ?

I do love me some Tteokbokki at least once a month. I am good at cooking Korean.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 4:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It was probably around 1996, when I was living in Steveston (Richmond) that the inflection point was reached, where my consumption of Asian food overtook that of Italian-derived food. It has been accelerating ever since, especially after I married a girl of Asian descent. I reckon it is now 5 Asian dishes for every Italian-derived dish. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Indian....it is all so very good.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 5:06 PM

Rice -and- noodles !

Not much of a chef but the kids have been raised on Korean (ex GF), Polish ( Ex Wife ), and a wide variety of other cuisine as the ex is a gourmet chef.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:20 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Thanks for contributing to the post total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo
Another rice dish I didn't mention, but I love is deep fried pork cutlet curry on rice. Massively popular in Japan and Korea, it's the ultimate comfort food.
Glad someone mentioned this. I've been eating a lot of Japanese curry through COVID as a comfort food. It's just so delicious and hearty and filling.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:02 PM

I voted noodles, even though I'm pretty sure the rest of my take will land me in the "barbarian" category.

Most rice dishes I've had, seem like they'd actually be better if you just had more of the rest of the dish. Like a bowl of fried meat and veggies would be great, but you add rice to stretch it out to make a meal with less.

But most pasta dishes, it's the reverse, and it's "stuff added to pasta", the pasta is the essential base. And if you were to strip them all the way down, plain pasta with some butter or oil is way better than plain rice with butter.

But for background, I'm from the type of family that when my mom serves spaghetti, Dad still looks around the table and goes "where are the potatoes?"

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:53 PM

Rice is mostly filling. Delicious, but mainly has been used I think to fill in stomachs when there was less availability of more nutrient dense foods. still love it though. Stick in your mouth a scoop of sauce layered Fook Chow fried rice and tell me you aren't converted.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada