HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I keep hearing stock issues with target but no one ever mentions the stock issues with walmart, maybe its just northern alberta but the two stores i go to regularly have lots of empty shelves, they leave the stock sitting on pallets in boxes in the middle of the aisles and it's impossible to get around most of the time
I'm guessing that's a regional issue, I've been to Walmart stores throughout Ontario and I've never seen stock issues that bad. I did find the store at Toronto's Scarborough Town Centre somewhat disorganized and untidy compared to others, but nothing like the average Zellers store in their last few years of existence.

I wonder how many former Woolco locations are still in operation as Walmart. In London, only one of the three former Woolco locations still operates as Walmart (White Oaks Mall), and in Kingston the only location closed around 2008 when a new Walmart Supercentre opened in the north end. I believe that Scarborough Town Centre location used to be a Woolco too.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
mentioned by someone else in the vancouver forum...

Ikea to open string of smaller stores across Canada
Outlets one-tenth the size of a regular Ikea will be primarily for e-commerce pickups

Ikea hasn’t released exact locations, but “the pickup stores will be on the West Coast and all over the country,” Sjöstrand said. “I hope that a year from now we will have five to 10 pickup points.”

http://www.biv.com/article/2014/12/i...across-canada/
Good idea. 1/10 of a regular IKEA is still big, and it makes sense for them to get into markets that are still pretty substantial but for whatever reason are deemed to be unable to sustain one of their megastores.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 12:03 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Anyone know if they have any of these mini stores in any other market?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 12:34 AM
gettin' rich!

Possible Apple Store at the Eaton Centre with a Street Facing Presence. (Re-location from current interior location within the mall??_

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 266193 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to a portion of level 3 of "Nordstrom" for "EBAR" cafe a total of 7 seats. Refer to related base permit 14-262555 for alterations of floor level 3 -5 inclusive. See also related permits Note: Property has a convenience address of 260 Yonge St
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Application#: 14 266214 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to a portion of level 4 of "Nordstrom" for "HABITANT" cafe a total of 30 seats. Refer to related base permit 14-262555 for alteraltions of floor level 3 -5 inclusive. See also related permits Note: Property has a covenience address of 260 Yonge St
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Application#: 14 266227 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to a portion of level 5 of "Nordstrom" for "BAR VERDE" cafe a total of seats. Refer to related base permit 14-262555 for alterations of floor level 3 -5 inclusive. See also related permits Note: Property has a convenience address of 260 Yonge St

The 3-4 level cafe's along Yonge Street will make Yonge more lively than at present.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:50 PM

When Target first opened I went to one of the mall location ones and was completely disappointed.

A year and a half later and I went to a stand alone "larger" one in Calgary and was quite surprised at the difference, and the place was packed. Not a lot different than the ones in the US. I'd definitely go back!

Target will survive

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
When Target first opened I went to one of the mall location ones and was completely disappointed.

A year and a half later and I went to a stand alone "larger" one in Calgary and was quite surprised at the difference, and the place was packed. Not a lot different than the ones in the US. I'd definitely go back!

Target will survive
I totally agree. I could see them closing a few mall locations, and perhaps converting some "stand-alones" to SuperTarget.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:05 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
My experience is similar. Target seems to be doing fairly well in metro Vancouver. I can't imagine that they would pull out of Canada entirely.
Have to say after a slow start in the Victoria area, Target seems to be doing better here now too - did look much busier during the holiday season. I like Target OK..never been a big fan of the US store.

We have two Target stores in the region, one that was converted from a Zellers (which was a large 122,000 sq.ft two-storey store that Zellers had converted from Eatons). Our other Target store (Hillside) was a year later opening because they levelled the existing Zellers and built a brand new 150,000 sq.ft. two-storey store.

Question: I have been to several Targets in the US, and they were all large footprint, single level stores - as are all Wal-Marts I've been to in the US. Our Targets are both two levels as is our newest Wal-Mart supercenter. Just wondering if two-level Wal-Mart and Target stores were typical across Canada? Also, do people prefer to shop in large, single level stores.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Jan 15, 2015 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:43 PM

Target pulling out of Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Just heard the news. It never seemed to catch on here so I'm not surprised. It was little more than a slightly more tolerable Walmart here.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Comment on CBC story: "They missed the target. We won't."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:01 PM

One of my co-workers is practically in tears over the loss of Target. Not because she knows anyone who works there, just because she loves the store so much. At least here, we're only an hour from the Watertown Target, which is a pretty good store.

There's been a lot of target-related puns in the office this morning. As I work in marketing, the term "target market" keeps coming up.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:08 PM

I wonder if HBC might look to resurrect Zellers now?. They can probably get a lot of the Target store locations relatively cheaply, the colour scheme matches, and the stores are all recently fully renovated.

I'm not sure about the economies; I wonder if (Tardis mode activated) had they waited to come into Canada now, when the Loonie is diving, as opposed to when they did (when it was at parity), if they would have had a better reception. When the currencies are out of sync, price disparities are easier to hide. Of course that still wouldn't have helped their supply chain issues.

Overall, the entire chain seems to be on the ropes, and this may just be a Hail Mary play for survival. When I first started seeing Targets in the States years ago they seemed a lot better than what they are now, selection and price wise.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lots of empty retail space coming up - I wonder what'll happen?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The problem is that the brand got diluted and they didn't offer a one of a kind unique shopping experience.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Lots of empty retail space coming up - I wonder what'll happen?
No clear idea. Some will likely end up abandoned with no tenant, some in higher-end malls may go to higher level department stores, and some may go to Walmart (if not near one) or other box stores.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:14 PM

Maybe they'll go Ikea? It's looking to open a bunch of ministores after all. (Kidding for the most part, there might be one or two locations they'll look to snag for their needs).

Hopefully Target pulling out doesn't slow their plans down much.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, the Target here in Moncton is in a suburban retail strip mall (Northwest Centre), very close to other major retailers including Wal Mart, Costco, Superstore, Home Depot, Kent and Sobeys. As such, I can't think of any one retailer that would be interested in 110,000 sq ft of retail space.

The only possibility might be the Hudson's Bay Company, but there is a Sears at Champlain Place which I'm kinda hoping will become a Bay store once Sears kicks the bucket.

The Northwest Centre is otherwise successful and completely full. I imagine the Target space will get broken up for use by smaller retailers.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:29 PM

I think the stores can be divided into several camps:

1) Locations in "A" malls. Those are likely to find a new department store tenant, probably higher end (with a net benefit to the mall as a whole).

2) Locations in "B" or "C" malls. Those will be difficult to fill, since there is no department store likely to fill them, so a grocery store and a mall downgrade might be the best chance.

3) Isolated locations in fairly attractive locations. Most of those could be scooped up by Walmart, some perhaps by a home improvement store, expanding/large grocery store or someone else.

4) Box store areas. Those are likely the easiest to fill - the possibilities are endless. Almost anyone (could be a combination of retailers) could fill those.

5) Isolated locations in non-attractive locations - those are likely the hardest to fill. Walmart might go for a few of them, but only if far from an existing store. Some may go to a deep low-end retailer, but many will likely end up dead space.

#2 and #5 are the types that will likely be the hardest to fill. #1 and #4 look to be easy to fill and beneficial to the areas. #3 is a lateral move that at least has something to take the place.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, the Target here in Moncton is in a suburban retail strip mall (Northwest Centre), very close to other major retailers including Wal Mart, Costco, Superstore, Home Depot, Kent and Sobeys. As such, I can't think of any one retailer that would be interested in 110,000 sq ft of retail space.

The only possibility might be the Hudson's Bay Company, but there is a Sears at Champlain Place which I'm kinda hoping will become a Bay store once Sears kicks the bucket.

The Northwest Centre is otherwise successful and completely full. I imagine the Target space will get broken up for use by smaller retailers.
Maybe not one retailer for 110,000 square feet, but three retailers might want, say, 35,000 square feet each for any box stores not in Moncton now...that looks like a potential prime spot.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:32 PM

I wonder how Nordstrom is feeling about their decision to come north? Different demographic, but still....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada