HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 12:59 PM
-

Muse Landing Proposal

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 8:00 PM
-

HUEY PS PIZZERIA- TULANE AVE 2424 TULANE AVE STE 107 NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AR.36.0000016414-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 3600016414

MOISANT MARKET 1 TERMINAL DR SPACE 2804 SUITE B KENNER LA Jefferson B.26.0090013096-BL B.BL - CLASS B BEER AND LIQUOR 2690013096 PENDING 04/22/2020

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

HUEY PS PIZZERIA- TULANE AVE 2424 TULANE AVE STE 107 NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AR.36.0000016414-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 3600016414

MOISANT MARKET 1 TERMINAL DR SPACE 2804 SUITE B KENNER LA Jefferson B.26.0090013096-BL B.BL - CLASS B BEER AND LIQUOR 2690013096 PENDING 04/22/2020

What happened to Matadors?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:09 PM
-

No clue but im sure strayer is a much better tenant longterm

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
No clue but im sure strayer is a much better tenant longterm
True. Not the sex appeal I expected for this corner unit. I couldn’t see Domain doing the same, for example, in a similar space.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinnola View Post
True. Not the sex appeal I expected for this corner unit. I couldn’t see Domain doing the same, for example, in a similar space.
Def agree but sometimes the rent guarantee is hard to pass up. they have main squeez and f45 fitness going on either side of it so maybe they felt that was good enough

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:56 AM
-

Starting an exterior renovation on a New Orleans icon. Crescent City Steak House has been operating on North Broad for over 80 years

Project Number 41,910
Project
424 Gravier St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Part 1:
Received:
04/14/2020

Part 2:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Project Number 41,909
Project
422 Gravier St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Part 1:
Received:
04/14/2020

Part 2:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Project Number 41,907
Project
610-612 Chartres St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Part 1:
Received:
04/14/2020

Part 2:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Project Number 41,908
Project
616-618 Chartres St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Part 1:
Received:
04/14/2020

Part 2:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:22 PM
-

STUDIO UPDATE: We are excited to share some recent updates from our Studio B

The SUNO Natural Sciences Building Interior Buildout project was bid on March 3rd.
The State of Louisiana officially awarded the $1.6M construction contract to CM Combs Construction, LLC Construction start date is April 27th.

The New Multi-Purpose Assembly Center at Jefferson Parish Business Park: Science & Technology Academy project was bid on March 5th. Jefferson Parish Schools awarded the $6.7M construction contract to Buquet & Leblanc, Inc. A start date for construction is pending.

Check back soon to see the progress!

#stbarchitects #studioupdate #nola #SUNO

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:09 PM
-

Virgin Hotel New Orleans:

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:39 PM

Big loss today in the tech sector due to this irrationally induced economic depression. GE will be closing the tech center here.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...m_campaign=snd

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Big loss today in the tech sector due to this irrationally induced economic depression. GE will be closing the tech center here.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...m_campaign=snd
A lot of employees were moved to remote before this, but since GE Capital went away, the site was at risk. GE tried to turn into a “tech company” as GE Digital, but anyone could see through that PR nonsense. At the end of the day, GE is a shell of itself and will continue to shrink and lose whatever prestige it used to have...

I didn’t participate in the economic development convo last week or two, but I will say as a very close follower of such things, New Orleans was worse off economically right before COVID than at anytime in the last 10 years. Let’s hope Shell doesn’t close shop too which I get the feeling might be the next big shoe to fall... the best way to get talented people with good incomes here won’t be any relocation but a renewed openness by top companies to let more employees work remote...

Edit: I would not put much faith in the area’s corporate real estate doing much better for the foreseeable future. More work from home is the best case scenario in my opinion. And if you think jobs aren’t important ask yourself who’s going to live in any new high rises the developers build by the convention center.

Last edited by FenderOz; Apr 29, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:23 PM

[QUOTE=FenderOz;8907799]

I didn’t participate in the economic development convo last week or two, but I will say as a very close follower of such things, New Orleans was worse off economically right before COVID than at anytime in the last 10 years. Let’s hope Shell doesn’t close shop too which I get the feeling might be the next big shoe to fall... the best way to get talented people with good incomes here won’t be any relocation but a renewed openness by top companies to let more employees work remote...

Just curious, what makes you say its the worst its been in 10 years? Is that an oil based comment?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 1:16 PM

Hard Rock demolition steps could begin as soon as Monday after City and owners reach

Hard Rock demolition steps could begin as soon as Monday after City and owners reach agreement

https://www.wlox.com/2020/04/30/hard...ach-agreement/

NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) - Work to demolish the Hard Rock Hotel construction site could start as soon as Monday after months of delays.

The owners of the Hard Rock collapse site say they can begin moving in demolition equipment as early as Monday, as the city says it is issuing a demolition permit.

An agreement was reached in Orleans Civil Court.

Attorneys for the city, Hard Rock owners and several contractors logged in for a zoom court hearing this morning and announced that after months of negotiations an agreement was finally reached to allow Hard Rock owners to move forward with demolition instead of an implosion.

The attorney for the owners, say preliminary work could begin as early as Monday.

The City and 1031 Canal had hoped to have an agreement yesterday but the city said they were still bonding and demolition safety issues which needed to be worked out.

Now they say an agreement has been reached and the first order of business will be to remove a large construction crane that sits precariously over the collapse site and Canal Street.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 8:19 PM

[QUOTE=Nickapedia;8908502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

Just curious, what makes you say its the worst its been in 10 years? Is that an oil based comment?
I wonder how much of that might have been due to the cyberattack. It seems like a lot of the contraction was in construction. I know a lot of permits were delayed and a bunch of the FEMA roadwork projects were pushed back a few months. Based on what I'm seeing with the bids, things are ramping up again and we should be seeing a few hundred million in road projects kicking off between now and the end of summer.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 12:50 AM

$5.4M grant brings New Orleans to Mobile Amtrak passenger train a step closer to real

$5.4M grant brings New Orleans to Mobile Amtrak passenger train a step closer to

https://www.nola.com/news/article_8d...cc71b2470.html

More money has been awarded to restoring a passenger rail service between New Orleans and Mobile, Mississippi’s U.S. congressmen announced Friday.

A $5.45 million grant from the Federal Railroad Administration to the Southern Rail Commission will support operating costs for the first three years of train service.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 5:07 PM

S. Claiborne trees and water retention

98 new trees to be planted on S. Claiborne and some storm water retention features. Not too bad.
https://uptownmessenger.com/2020/04/...ng-a-makeover/

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 7:31 PM

[QUOTE=Nickapedia;8908502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

Sorry in advance for derailing the convo, but I want to address this question. Feel free to message me for follow up. I'll try to keep it high level. My judgement is based on my own research/experience as well as those of others I know in industries around here, and I can't help but frame my judgement of New Orleans' economic health without a comparative lens (are we keeping up with the Joneses).

In a nutshell, we continued to see the contraction of traditional white collar jobs in the region over the last 10 years in finance, O&G, and professional services. A few "good news" stories in financial sector have been offset by less publicized losses and the quality of jobs has declined. O&G losses should be clear to most. With the shale boom and lower prices over the last few years, most of the services companies that HAVE to stay here continue to suffer and more will disappear. White collar jobs and executive level jobs continue to move to Houston. The industry won't last forever, but we haven't been able to fill the financial hole left behind by this quick departure.

Our tech sector, while growing since Katrina, has really not kept pace with any city we would want to compare ourselves too, and the entrepreneur "boom" was mostly PR fodder that's fizzled. I'm afraid our momentum has not just slowed but is at risk of reversing. DXC is a good win, but won't be a game changer as they pay below market for most positions and the company itself is not doing well, though they are starting a multi-year turnaround...

Healthcare and education continue to be good news stories, but you can look at most cities and that's often the case (usually when those are your best industries, it that means there's nothing else to write home about). I would say that New Orleans continues to lead the region and is the big regional player for MS, LA, and maybe AL for education/healthcare. Tulane and LSU are instrumental here, but we never got close to becoming a "biotech" hub like city leaders once dreamed about.

Hospitality and tourism continue to be our bread and butter, but aside from poor pay you're now seeing how vulnerable this kind of economic dependency makes us during a major disruption to travel like COVID.

Remote work will be back in fashion soon, and it will be interesting to see how this changes the heavy consolidation of certain sectors in mostly major coastal cities in the coming years. That's the city's best bet I think for white collar expansion and to create a cluster of high end talent that's worth opening a satellite office for -- remote workers.

I just don't foresee New Orleans getting a second Fortune 500 HQ anytime soon, and we really need those high level corporate finance / administrative / operations / executive jobs to change the narrative.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:00 PM

[QUOTE=FenderOz;8914421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post

Sorry in advance for derailing the convo, but I want to address this question. Feel free to message me for follow up. I'll try to keep it high level. My judgement is based on my own research/experience as well as those of others I know in industries around here, and I can't help but frame my judgement of New Orleans' economic health without a comparative lens (are we keeping up with the Joneses).

In a nutshell, we continued to see the contraction of traditional white collar jobs in the region over the last 10 years in finance, O&G, and professional services. A few "good news" stories in financial sector have been offset by less publicized losses and the quality of jobs has declined. O&G losses should be clear to most. With the shale boom and lower prices over the last few years, most of the services companies that HAVE to stay here continue to suffer and more will disappear. White collar jobs and executive level jobs continue to move to Houston. The industry won't last forever, but we haven't been able to fill the financial hole left behind by this quick departure.

Our tech sector, while growing since Katrina, has really not kept pace with any city we would want to compare ourselves too, and the entrepreneur "boom" was mostly PR fodder that's fizzled. I'm afraid our momentum has not just slowed but is at risk of reversing. DXC is a good win, but won't be a game changer as they pay below market for most positions and the company itself is not doing well, though they are starting a multi-year turnaround...

Healthcare and education continue to be good news stories, but you can look at most cities and that's often the case (usually when those are your best industries, it that means there's nothing else to write home about). I would say that New Orleans continues to lead the region and is the big regional player for MS, LA, and maybe AL for education/healthcare. Tulane and LSU are instrumental here, but we never got close to becoming a "biotech" hub like city leaders once dreamed about.

Hospitality and tourism continue to be our bread and butter, but aside from poor pay you're now seeing how vulnerable this kind of economic dependency makes us during a major disruption to travel like COVID.

Remote work will be back in fashion soon, and it will be interesting to see how this changes the heavy consolidation of certain sectors in mostly major coastal cities in the coming years. That's the city's best bet I think for white collar expansion and to create a cluster of high end talent that's worth opening a satellite office for -- remote workers.

I just don't foresee New Orleans getting a second Fortune 500 HQ anytime soon, and we really need those high level corporate finance / administrative / operations / executive jobs to change the narrative.
While I think your assessment does have some merit to the pre-covid world, I think the post-covid world will be a different animal. Like you mentioned, remote work will likely become the new norm. (ie: Nationwide Insurance is closing all office buildings and requiring all WFH) That will spell disaster for pretty much every major city that depends on a downtown landscape for survival. New Orleans, in that sense, is already ahead of the curve and converting it's downtown spaces into various uses outside of office space. Yes, it is tourism dependent, but it's better than empty offices that are about to sweep the nation and world.

Another thing about working remotely is it allows you to live where you want to live instead of where you are forced to live. Do you think a majority of people who live in Houston want to live in Houston if their job wasn't there? My guess is no.

Speaking of Houston, they doubled down on O&G and medicine. Medicine in Houston is doing well but O&G can still destroy the Houston economy. Guess what? It is doing that as we speak. So, every city has it's point of weakness and right now covid is exposing everyone's weaknesses around the world. All we can do is wait and see what the new normal will be and adapt to it in our own unique way.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 5:42 PM

Updated satellite pictures

If you’re like me you can spend hours looking at satellite pictures. Google earth updated its satellite image (under historical imagery) of downtown NOLA/FQ/LGD to a photo taken 4/12/20. It’s not super high resolution but you can see lots of progress and new construction along the Lafitte Greenway, Warehouse District, Iberville Projects, and the hotel on Elysian Fields. Four Seasons coming along nicely too. Also, it’s creepy how few cars are on the streets. Check it out.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:20 AM

City Business had a nice article on potential opportunities:
https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...officials-say/

A couple of interesting ideas:
Repackaging some economic development incentives/Quality Jobs program to lure work-from-home employees to the state
Capitalizing on the push to onshore medical and pharmaceutical manufacturing

I'm no expert in the field, but it would seem that with such a high concentration and variety of chemical plants, the river region would be a natural choice for producing pharmaceutical components.

I'm very curious to see what's being planned for Avondale. It seems they've been doing some work repairing docks and building rail connections, so that would be a great site to take advantage of new industries. Plenty of room to expand in that area and given the proximity to Entergy's Ninemile point station, reliable electricity and raw materials supplies

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations