HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 9:36 PM

I'd planned on entering that contest, I'd put together hundreds of designs but couldn't get any clear sense whatsoever from the entry guidelines where to submit them. May be awhile before I'm inspired again, all the critical reflection after looking here kind of sucked that out of me.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 5:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:25 PM

Is this what hell looks like?

http://www.paleofuture.com/blog/2007...rrow-1929.html

Quote:
The first center to be seen is that structure, or complex of structures, in which the control of the business activities of the cities is housed. Here is located the seat of government of the city's practical affairs, including its three chief branches - legislative, judiciary and executive.

At this closer view we can distinguish in greater detail the characteristics of the tower-buildings. The tower itself rises directly over the intersection of two of the master highways to a height of 1200 feet. There are eight flanking towers, half this height, which, with their connecting wings, enclose four city blocks. The center extends, however, over eight adjoining blocks, where its supplementary parts rise to a height of twelve stories.

We see, upon examining the Avenue, that more than one level for traffic is provided. Local wheel traffic is on the ground level; express traffic is depressed; pedestrians pass on a separate plane above.

Beyond the center, the lower districts of the city are visible, together with the radial avenues which lead to the other tower-buildings of the Business district.

This one made me lol.

http://www.paleofuture.com/blog/2011...ture-1881.html

Quote:
When cartoonist Thomas Nast drew this illustration of future Manhattan for Harper's Weekly in 1881, Trinity Church was the tallest building in New York, with its spire and cross reaching 281 feet into the heavens.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 2:14 PM

San Francisco In 2100: A Subterranean World Full Of Robots And Hover Cars

Read More: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665015/...and-hover-cars

Quote:
San Franciscans are viciously proud of their little gingerbread village of a city. Rightfully so. But soon, the demands of population growth will force San Francisco to expand its infrastructure, and all that quaint character could suffer. Imagine the wrath of the NIMBY crowds if a new wind farm came along and blocked their precious views of the Golden Gate. IwamotoScott Architecture’s solution: Hide the ugly below ground.

IwamotoScott, a young, theory-driven San Francisco firm, designed a futuristic master plan for the city in 2108, when the population is expected to double. Hydro-Net, as they call it, could’ve tumbled straight out of the mind of Syd Mead. The architects envision a subterranean world in which the city harvests its own green energy, and residents zip around in hydrogen-fueled hover cars (hover cars!!), freeing roads above ground from high-speed traffic.

A street-level infrastructural web spread along the waterfront and at “nodal points” in various neighborhoods would connect to the below-ground networks (so people can actually get from their cars to their apartments). Somewhere in there, Hydro-Net would also be able to harvest fog as a water source, and “automated drilling robots” would build tunnel walls out of carbon nanotube technology that could store and distribute hydrogen fuel.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:42 AM

Mexican Depthscraper

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:55 AM

^

I thought Mexico City was built on a lake bed. How would they build this if the water table is as close to the surface as I think it is???

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower6 View Post
Dude! This would have been awesome. Man all the cool stuff never gets built! Obama should give government money to all the architects and knock down downtown San Francisco and get this built.

Oh yeah, do the same to New York. That would be cool.
I cant tell if you're being sarcastic, or you're just really stupid.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Mexican Depthscraper
Well, pretty interesting ' a negative skyscraper ' or earthscraper, but according to editors and adm would not fit as a diagram in this page, could immagine the fight to bring it inside, even though system as current is today would be difficult to accept and have it, while the waterline is Up- not down like 100 % it is here. Anyway it is a huge construction, but do not believe in middle Mexico city, impossible.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 9:33 PM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:46 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Revealing my nerdiness, but Nast's illustration reminded me of this:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 2:40 PM

Superstudio came up with some uh, ambitious ideas in the late 60s/early 70s.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://hellavate.com/2010/04/superstudio-2/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yuck, what the hell is that supposed to be?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 11:31 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Oh my God, thats the most terrifying thing Ive ever seen.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:21 PM

I give you.. Buckminster Fuller's "Project Toronto":

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:31 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

I agree deeply,

Considerign the cost of supports, structural logistics, buildign to survive crashes, hurricans, etc... One would imagine building DOWN would be much cheaper then building up.

Granted right now it would be more costly as the construction world has no real experiance with building down on a large scale. But given time, a 40 story "depthscaper" would be far more cost effective then a 40 story skyscraper.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
That tower on the left reminded me of the Al Yacoub tower in Dubai

@-Zheps
http://dubaistructure.blogspot.com/2...oub-tower.html

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:41 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Ye Gods, that photo, the towers in that photo..
They look like some sort of cartoon, like a bad Las Vegass Theme hotel or something.
I mean, I like the attempt that they seem to be building a BigBen knock off, but it still seems tacky.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 5:04 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Yuck, what the hell is that supposed to be?
Superstudio was a conceptual design firm that created a series of collages for a project (for which they are undoubtedly most famous for) they called the 'Continuous Monument,' it was a sarcastic comment on the tedium and omnipresence of globalization.

spaceinvading.com

revelinnewyork.com

tumblr.com

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
I agree deeply,

Considerign the cost of supports, structural logistics, buildign to survive crashes, hurricans, etc... One would imagine building DOWN would be much cheaper then building up.

Granted right now it would be more costly as the construction world has no real experiance with building down on a large scale. But given time, a 40 story "depthscaper" would be far more cost effective then a 40 story skyscraper.
Nope. It's far more of an engineering challenge to build down than it is to go up. The further down you go the higher the pressure, temperature, and ventilation problems. Also you have the issue of groundwater infiltration/seepage and the fact that you need to move mountains of dirt/stone to go down.

Building down is probably the idea in this thread that is least likely to happen barring a nuclear holocaust.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 9:52 PM

The 1934 Plan To Fill In The Hudson River, Connecting NYC To NJ

February 23rd, 2012

Read More: http://gothamist.com/2012/02/23/fill...dson_river.php

1924 Plan To Drain Hudson River: http://gothamist.com/2010/01/16/1924...olution_dr.php

Quote:

Engineering scholar Norman Sper proposed damming the river at both ends of Manhattan, and filling in the space... which would "ultimately connect the Island of Manhattan with the mainland of New Jersey." The 10 square miles of land gained would have, in theory, solved the traffic and housing problems the city was having at the time. There would be more buildings, more streets, and more avenues.

- There would also be more underground action, with the building of tunnels, conduits, mail and automobile tubes, and other subterranean passages. When every possible subterranean necessity had been anticipated and built, a secondary fill would bring the level up to within twenty-five feet of the Manhattan street level. Upon this level would rest the foundations and basements of the buildings that would make up the new city above, planned for fresh air, sunshine and beauty. Thus, below the street level would be a subterranean system of streets that would serve a double purpose. All heavy trucking would be confined to it, but primarily it would serve as a great military defense against gas attack in case of war, for in it would be room for practically the entire population of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture