HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:31 PM

"A senior housing complex that is home to a blind man, a 93-year-old woman and many struggling to make ends meet could be torn down by Phoenix leaders."

More slanted journalism designed to make the reader form a strong opinion in the first sentence. We deserve a news outlet that will tell us what is happening without trying to influence us to choose a side.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:35 PM

Correct! It's editorializing, not reporting.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:49 PM
self-important urbanista

What's interesting about this is that no one is mentioning that this apartment building replaced another senior housing complex that was bulldozed in the early '90s to make way for the Burton Barr Library. It would be an especially emotional angle if it turned out someone was forced to relocate twice. I suspect that may not be the case, though. Without trying to be morbid, I suspect that over three decades, most or perhaps all of the residents relocated in the '90s are now deceased.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
What's interesting about this is that no one is mentioning that this apartment building replaced another senior housing complex that was bulldozed in the early '90s to make way for the Burton Barr Library. It would be an especially emotional angle if it turned out someone was forced to relocate twice. I suspect that may not be the case, though. Without trying to be morbid, I suspect that over three decades, most or perhaps all of the residents relocated in the '90s are now deceased.
Most likely. Also, as azsunsurfer stated, the City of Phoenix is offering to relocate those this would displace. It sounds like a win-win to me. We get new affordable housing that the core is STRONGLY lacking in and the seniors this displaces will receive city assisted relocation. Not sure what the problem is with that. Also as Biggus stated, this is definitely journalism angled to make the reader feel bad right off the get go...without offering up any facts until nearly the last paragraphs in the article.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Most likely. Also, as azsunsurfer stated, the City of Phoenix is offering to relocate those this would displace. It sounds like a win-win to me. We get new affordable housing that the core is STRONGLY lacking in and the seniors this displaces will receive city assisted relocation. Not sure what the problem is with that. Also as Biggus stated, this is definitely journalism angled to make the reader feel bad right off the get go...without offering up any facts until nearly the last paragraphs in the article.
I think it would be HUGE win-win. All of us folks crazy about highrises, get one almost directly next to the I-10. Depending on how tall it is, that would add more to the skyline helping connect downtown to midtown. I'm so for this and definitely look forward to hearing what the City Council has to say in May.

Plus if this highrise truly is affordable housing, (not $1,800] for a 400 sqf studio) that would give the opportunity for more working folks to live in downtown.

And yes, as I read the article again, I can definitely see the slant in the journalism.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I was bored at work so started doing some sleuthing for some recent RFPs that have since closed and see who won the RFP.

Hyatt Regency Garage RFP
- Berger Holdings, LLC
- Hines Interests Limited Partnership

https://solicitations.phoenix.gov/So...achmentId=3579

Kind of interested to see both proposals (Ronnie - can you work your magic?). This is the same company that won the RFP for the hotel/office on Central/Adams. Wasn't too impressed w/ the latest renderings that Ronnie provided. At this point, maybe perhaps Hines proposal may have been better based on what we've seen from the Adeline.

The RFP for 1 South 24th Street appeared to be cancelled. Not sure whether for lack of interest/proposals or the city simply cancelled.
bump for Ronnie!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 7:58 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...wntown-phoenix

Some news regarding the Deck Park Vista senior living apartment complex on 3rd St and Moreland. It looks like the city will be opening up an RFP later this month.
God that article was bad. Let's get the side of the story from a bunch of uninformed people (although I sympathize with the 93-year-old) and then get the actual truth from CoP.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 9:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
bump for Ronnie!
Oh yeah! I seen that and forgot, lol. I'm on it!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
https://twitter.com/CodeMeFive/statu...461363712?s=19

Your wish is my command. I made a Twitter account just for this stuff. They're not the greatest photographs, but hey, they're there. Snapped some pics of the Link Phase2 site yesterday evening while out on a walk.
Great shots, thanks! Keep 'em coming.

I was just downtown for a meeting, it was quite surprising for some reason to see all of the cranes so spread out. Definitely a high water mark for downtown Phoenix right now, and it's only going to get higher.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:04 PM
Skyriser

It's like 2006 all over again but this time stuff is actually getting built. Crazy.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
God that article was bad. Let's get the side of the story from a bunch of uninformed people (although I sympathize with the 93-year-old) and then get the actual truth from CoP.
Wow that article was terrible.

It's not like the blind guy or 93 year-old are going to be carrying their furniture down the steps and loading it onto a U-Haul themselves.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:44 PM
Modulator

Just a quick tidbit. Noticed a there is a sign now posted next to Knipe House for the 5 floor office development. Grading has been steadily going on for a month now and multiple permits have been filed including a commercial permit on the 10th. This should start moving full-swing relativity soon.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Just a quick tidbit. Noticed a there is a sign now posted next to Knipe House for the 5 floor office development. Grading has been steadily going on for a month now and multiple permits have been filed including a commercial permit on the 10th. This should start moving full-swing relativity soon.
Great news!

Refresh my memory. Is this going all the way up to Roosevelt or stopping before the green space? Never could quite tell based on the renderings released...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Great news!

Refresh my memory. Is this going all the way up to Roosevelt or stopping before the green space?
As far as I've seen in renderings, it will incorporate the green-space.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's like 2006 all over again but this time stuff is actually getting built. Crazy.
Get it while the getting is good. Right now everyone knows if they don't get funding and start now there's a chance it might not happen. The upcoming election will play a role in development, always does.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Is this the Knipe Village?

https://truenorthstudio.com/projects/knipe-village/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/UnVP5...I/document.pdf

Here’s some more images of Knipe Village so you can get an idea of its footprint.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/UnVP5...I/document.pdf

Here’s some more images of Knipe Village so you can get an idea of its footprint.
MY GOD, I would love those brick sidewalks and all the trees. Why do the concept pictures always have to be so fancy?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Wow that article was terrible.

It's not like the blind guy or 93 year-old are going to be carrying their furniture down the steps and loading it onto a U-Haul themselves.
LOL. The tl;dr version of that article: "change is hard, and I don't like it."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Yes, that is it and what's showing on the sign out front of Knipe House. Let's hope it comes out just like this without any cost-cutting revisions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest