HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 9:59 PM

In the 1930 photo above, notice that a man is standing on top of the marquee!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 10:32 PM

re: dangerous waiting areas for PE and LARy passengers.

originally posted by CityBoyDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Disaster or not, what was the alternative? As I said before, the tracks were by and large in place in the streets before cars; as soon as someone could afford a car, they ditched public transport for all the usual reasons (poor service, freedom, privacy, independence, status), reducing revenue. There is simply no way, even if it had occurred to the owners of the PE and LARy, to relocate all the tracks to run along the curb, which is the only alternative I can think of--impractical and cost-prohibitive. Anyone who looked at the exponential growth of car registrations through the '20s could see that streetcars, as they were laid out originally, were doomed.

usc

Couldn't they have at least added a thick concrete barrier?

"Los Angeles Pacific Electric 420 MU San Pedro Route in Watts 1952 Slide"

eBay

I'm curious about the lower right corner.

So what is the purpose of this contraption? (to the right of the woman), that appears to be mounted into the street.

I also see they're unloading XX beer at the "Bub (?) Café". scroll right --->

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 4, 2015 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"Los Angeles Pacific Electric 420 MU San Pedro Route in Watts 1952 Slide"

I'm curious about the lower right corner.

So what is the purpose of this contraption? (to the right of the woman), that appears to be mounted into the street.

Be prepared for the stampede of railfans telling you that is a switchstand, used to change the routing of tracks at a turnout :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 12:40 AM

Unknown Chinatown Street

Very interesting photo of the old town in its terminal stages, I think. I started looking the USC Digital Archives and found the same image.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/3093

These look like wooden structures, and I remember reading somewhere that at some point the adobe structures in Nigger Alley were replaced with wooden structures during the streets latter history. Perhaps this also occurred in other parts of the old pueblo, aka, Chinatown.

Quote:
I like that photograph Hoss.

I just came across this on eBay.

Chinatown, Los Angeles 1895.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-Town-L...item20fcc926ae

This street doesn't look familiar at all.

detail: I thought this might be a clue; especially if it's a family name.

__

Last edited by GatoVerde; Jun 5, 2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Missing info

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
re: dangerous waiting areas for PE and LARy passengers.

originally posted by CityBoyDoug

usc

Couldn't they have at least added a thick concrete barrier?
What the city finally did was turn the Safety Zone into a raised concrete platform of about 7 inches. Of course even that was useless if a car jumped the platform and struck the people standing there.

Like I said before, the middle of street loading zones still exist but they're about 4 feet off the ground.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
More of Cahuenga Pass, 1952

Barham 1952
http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...barham1952.jpg

http://waterandpower.org/Historical_..._Pass_1948.jpg

1952 - The Freeway gets Damp

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../92077/rec/250

"I'm Spartacus"

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Nice compilation, Albany but I'm afraid every smidgen of your post has been done on the thread before. I believe, as you do, that what's left of Monkey Island shows in the '48 aerial. But we still have skeptics among us. Here, I'll post an actual picture of Monkey Island while it was open for business...

Aerial view of Cahuenga Pass, December 30, 1939

Kinda hard to see but it's still there and at a minimum this image serves to finally put to rest the Barham Boulevard phantasm, there being no visible construction in the area immediately northeast of Barham and Cahuenga. There you have it, Monkey Island. Lol.

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

Looking for additional pictures of the Cave on Cahuenga and could not help myself.

Incidentally, ER posted a picture of Mosher Tire Service "1534" http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=28760. Several NLA'ers tried to recall another Cahuenga tire store with a similar location. I think the confusion was with Frank Dillin's at 1553 Cahuenga. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../61990/rec/483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Wow! I've waited a long time to see Monkey Island! This matches the 1940s aerial photographs I've seen on NLA, so I think NLA already found the location.

I love the 1930s Streamline Moderne look too.

Monkey Island by matthew_dumont, on Flickr

Source: http://libraryarchives.metro.net

1939 -

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/4703/rec/137

1936 - The Cave on Cahuenga

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/4331/rec/79

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/4331/rec/79

On a hot day with only 10¢ in the pocket, orange juice, beer or sandwich?

Images below are reportedly from 1931, five years prior to If this establishment existed for four or five years, it was evidently easily forgotten and maybe even more elusive than Cahuenga Monkeys. Perhaps it was known by different names and/or remodeled, or just unpopular without the usual cave insulation? Do upscale vehicles parked outside the Cave, in the early photos, allow for inferences concerning Cave clientele? Red Lion looks fairly well established - but I have not seen any CD references for it either. (Yes, there is "Red Lion" [Gilmore] Gasoline and the Red Lion Angler's Club (200 S. Fairfax)). The later dates would explain why the Cave did not make the 1929 Amusement Map http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8036 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post

Last edited by Godzilla; Jun 5, 2015 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:38 AM

Has NLA visited Cahuenga Terrace?

1926 - 6601 Cahuenga Terrace

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/26747/rec/6

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:47 AM

XX Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Be prepared for the stampede of railfans telling you that is a switchstand, used to change the routing of tracks at a turnout :-)

Cheers,

Earl
The truck is unloading Lucky Lager Beer. As far as the safety zone is concerned you should also take into consideration that there is not much alternative to loading in the middle of the lanes. You are supposed to enter the zone from the crosswalk (who does that) when the street car is there not when it is down the block. I used to sell newspapers from those zones sometimes, I preferred corners but you take what they tell you. Traffic then was slower and more cars which slowed the cars even more. Coppers always insisted I "get out of the street". I never had a close call, maybe I was lucky.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 9:32 AM

Thank you e_r for the interior shots of Park la Brea. I've read that the architectural firm which did Park la Brea, along with Gordon B. Kaufmann, was also responsible for the Lincoln Heights jail (plus, of course, the 1922 Biltmore Hotel, the 1923 Jonathan Club, the 1925 Subway Terminal Building and etc).

The now decommissioned Lincoln Heights Jail:

clui

Close-up of one of the entrance lights:

avoiding regret <--- more great exterior/interior pix at the link

google maps

Godzilla did an outstanding post on historic pix of the jail. Well worth another look:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Los Angeles City Jail at 419 North Avenue 19, Lincoln Heights.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics35/00037431.jpg .
There's been a jail on this site since 1908 or before. The current building opened in 1931 and closed in 1965. The Eastside Division police station to the north was replaced in 1949 by a jail addition which is now rented to community groups. Still owned by COLA, the 1931 building is currently used as a filming location.

The evil, the notorious and the deeply unfortunate have passed through Lincoln Heights Jail. In its time the site housed grusome murderer William Edward Hickman (1928), the Zoot-suiters and other victims of the Sailor Riots in 1943, Al Capone after his arrest at Union Station and was the scene, in 1951, of one episode of the unprovoked, and repeated, beatings of seven prisoners by LAPD officers, an incident known as "Bloody Christmas". In its last years the facility became LA's main drunk tank. The LAPD called it "the Grey Bar Motel". It's supposedly haunted.

The depiction of "Bloody Christmas" in "LA Confidential" (1997) was filmed on site (as were other scenes). Compare this screenshot with the historic and current photos below:

warner bros

Quote:
A current photo:

scott reyes / instagram

sopas ej, Fab Fifties Fan and GW have also stopped by for a visit. See here, here and here

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 24, 2015 at 5:46 AM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Has NLA visited Cahuenga Terrace?

1926 - 6601 Cahuenga Terrace

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/26747/rec/6
The house is still there, albeit with a few modifications. There's no longer a canopy on the roof, and trees virtually hide it from the road.

Google Maps

The garages have been slightly remodeled, but the distinctive windows survive.

GSV

The house up the hill on the left is also still standing. In the original picture I thought the garages were part of the house, but this angled view shows that they are a separate building.

Google Maps

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:38 PM

Noirish footnote:

Watched the Perry Mason episode "The Case of the Runaway Corpse" (1957) last night. The M.E. was on the stand testifying about an autopsy. He said the body had a blood alcohol level of .15, which he described as "marking the onset of intoxication."

Hard headed bunch, back then.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I was surprised the garden temple survived:

gsv

The "Double Indemnity" house is in the Dell too. There's a map at the Hollywood Dell Association website

gsv
The Dell occupies the canyon directly below the Hollywood Dam:

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 5, 2015 at 4:51 PM. Reason: add map

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 5:23 PM

Looking west on Wilshire from just east of Plymouth Boulevard. The seller dates this picture as "1950s", but, according to laconservancy.org, the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple on the right wasn't completed until 1961. On the left is the Wilshire United Methodist Church.

eBay

Unusually for NLA, the "now" view looks virtually the same (if you ignore the scaffolding on the temple).

GSV

Last edited by HossC; Jan 7, 2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Photobucket not displaying images properly (yet again).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:33 PM

The "Plymouth Rock" is still there too. The church has a good history page and historic photos on flickr, but the rock is never mentioned. I used to know the story, but have forgotten it now:

gsv

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Looking west on Wilshire from just east of Plymouth Boulevard. The seller dates this picture as "1950s", but, according to laconservancy.org, the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple on the right wasn't completed until 1961. On the left is the Wilshire United Methodist Church.
In your black & white photo, the car immediately in front of the truck is a 1960 or '61 Plymouth Valiant. (How appropriate. A Plymouth "just east of Plymouth Boulevard". ) 1960 was the first year for that model. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Valiant

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Unusually for NLA, the "now" view looks virtually the same (if you ignore the scaffolding on the temple).

GSV

It's probably been mentioned before that the 90,000 ft2 building is being turned into a private museum. http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul...eport-20130725 According to that article, the building interior has been used in filming. I do not recall seeing any photos of the interior published here.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 2:37 AM

Masonic Scottish Rite Temple, Wilshire Blvd, Windsor Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
It's probably been mentioned before that the 90,000 ft2 building is being turned into a private museum. http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul...eport-20130725 According to that article, the building interior has been used in filming. I do not recall seeing any photos of the interior published here.
Plenty of interior shots of the Scottish Rite Temple here

la.curbed

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 4:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Plenty of interior shots of the Scottish Rite Temple here

la.curbed
I always loved the neo-classical exterior when I drove by. It had a rich elegance back in the day. That was then, this is now. Fast forward.
As a venue for its 3,000 seat auditorium and its 1,500 seat dining room...it's 200 space parking is a disaster. I guess the Masons were very lucky to get even the 8 million dollars they got for this faded albatross. Private art museums [as supposedly planned] have not done well in LA over the decades. Several have either relocated or closed up shop. How did the city ever let them build the building without even adequate parking in the first place [insiders]?

PS: I think I figured it out. The bare land on Wilshire Blvd. is worth 8 million. The actual ''temple'' building has a value of ''0''.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 6, 2015 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 5:16 AM

"Disaster or not, what was the alternative? As I said before, the tracks were by and large in place in the streets before cars; as soon as someone could afford a car, they ditched public transport for all the usual reasons (poor service, freedom, privacy, independence, status), reducing revenue. There is simply no way, even if it had occurred to the owners of the PE and LARy, to relocate all the tracks to run along the curb, which is the only alternative I can think of--impractical and cost-prohibitive. Anyone who looked at the exponential growth of car registrations through the '20s could see that streetcars, as they were laid out originally, were doomed."

Did you ever ride the streetcars? I did - PE to Santa Monica or Long Beach. Cars to downtown shopping with my mom, Hollywood, etc. Fond memories. I remember the wicker seats on the old cars. Middle and working class folks rode the cars to work and shop. What happened in LA happened elsewhere is what happened to the railroads - deliberate downgrading of the service by the owners to persuade folks to go to autos, and transit systems to move to buses. Petroleum and internal combustion engines. LA streetcar public transport was doomed by deliberate management decisions. The LA I grew up in had a reasonable, timely, environmentally sound and useful public transit system. And that's not nostalgia. Subways in NYC and London and SF Bay Area, and street cars in Salt Lake City, Seattle, Sacramento, SF, San Diego etc. move people. It works. I went to work and to college on the streetcars in SF. It's madness to commute via auto from The Valley or Long Beach or Orange County daily on the freeways - one person, one car, bumper to bumper driving when they have just woken up or tired after a day at work. 1 - 2 hour commutes. In SF people still stand in the street to catch the street cars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos