HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Cities Most Likely To Gain A Pro Sports Team Via Relocation Or Expansion By 2028

The NBA, NFL and MLB have been slower to grow via expansion or relocation over the last 20 years or so. The NHL and WNBA both seem to have experienced much more expansion and relocation activity during the same time frame.

Over the next 10 years, what cities do you think are most likely to attract a pro sports team, either by expansion or relocation? If the city will likely attract a pro sports team via relocation, which team(s) could you see it attracting?

When Steve Ballmer - a former Microsoft exec who has deep ties to Seattle - bout the LA Clippers, I thought it was only a matter of time until he would move the team to Seattle; now, it appears that they will likely remain in the L.A. area (Inglewood), at least for the near future.

I can see Austin landing the San Antonio Spurs (NBA) via relocation. Austin has been home to a Spurs development league affiliate for many years, and not long ago, the team even went so far as to change its name from the Austin Toros to the Austin Spurs. Austin continues to grow at a fast pace, and could potentially surpass San Antonio in population by 2028. I can also see Nashville landing the Memphis Grizzlies (NBA).

I can see Orlando attracting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL) via expansion. I can also see San Diego landing an NFL team by 2028 if their stadium issues ever get resolved, and I can also see an NFL team entering the Central Texas (Austin/San Antonio corridor) market by 2028.

I can see London finally attracting an NFL team by 2028, especially considering the league's constant promotion of itself by hosting regular season games there.

Other potential candidates:

Las Vegas (NBA) - the T-Mobile Arena looks NBA-ready
Seattle (NBA)
Cincinnati (NBA)
Portland (MLB)
St. Louis (NBA and NFL)
Mexico City (NBA)
Austin/San Antonio (MLB)
Vancouver (NBA)
Montreal (MLB)

Last edited by JAYNYC; Apr 8, 2018 at 9:01 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions