HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:08 AM

Man...it's really hard to believe that this building is really being built.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:59 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Pretty crazy, with the right lighting could be stunning. I dont care for the trend of these monumental buildings in a planned semi urban environments though..

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
Man...it's really hard to believe that this building is really being built.
Due to the falling oil prices, this one probably going to be topped for some time.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 2:42 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Due to the falling oil prices, this one probably going to be topped for some time.
huh? You mean it won't be topped as WTB? I definitely agree, it's going to take a looong time before a legitimate proposal above 1000m comes along again. At least that would be my guess.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:01 PM

Brent is $60 a barrel, so there's still money coming in to support these kinds of projects. Saudi oil is cheap to pull out of the ground, and the rest is profit.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:27 PM

^^^^So you guys think that work will be stopped soon? It seems like they are really determined to finish this thing.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:10 PM
Certified Idahoan

No. They are saying that this building, when finished, may be the tallest for quite a while. I'm not so sure about that though. I can see another country trying to one-up this building just for propoganda if nothing else. And those oil barons aren't getting any poorer with falling oil prices. It's the ground level workers that take that hit.

As for this building, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that this will be stopped barring a failed inspection or some such nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
^^^^So you guys think that work will be stopped soon? It seems like they are really determined to finish this thing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
No. They are saying that this building, when finished, may be the tallest for quite a while. I'm not so sure about that though. I can see another country trying to one-up this building just for propoganda if nothing else. And those oil barons aren't getting any poorer with falling oil prices. It's the ground level workers that take that hit.

As for this building, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that this will be stopped barring a failed inspection or some such nonsense.
It will be interesting to see the design and function of the building maintenance unit. A massive task is keeping damaging salt and sand off the façade. How close is this to the coast?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRiser View Post
It will be interesting to see the design and function of the building maintenance unit. A massive task is keeping damaging salt and sand off the façade. How close is this to the coast?
I used Google Map's "calculate distance" feature and got ~ 3160 feet. I measured from the point of the building closest to the water and measured to an average point for the coast. (There are a lot of man made points along this stretch that jut out so I used what I would consider the point furthest inland.)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
This tower is probably being built with Saudi Arabia's vast government revenue windfall when oil prices were well over $100 per barrel, which went on for years. Today the price is less than half where it was, and the Saudi's oil revenues have to be dropping faster than at any point in their history. It doesn't seem likely oil prices are going to go up to where they were again, at least not for years. Building these towers is very expensive for a government, the costs go up quickly. China's property bubble is also rapidly going bust, with prices falling for nine consecutive months now, even in the big cities. Russia's economy is in the tank, South Korea's economy has lost steam.

Saudi Arabia is trying to build themselves up as quick as possible, they can see the writing on the wall. The money from the oil spigot isn't going to last forever. They either have to build now or don't build. Same with Dubai, from what they say. That's partly why your seeing a sudden and sustained explosion in development. They want to make sure they have a backup to their oil economies, or they will be lost in the stack. These are not religious or imperial mechas going up, they're western style financial cities.

Unless Dubai wants to build yet another world's tallest, despite their first bubble going bust. All the small Arab states are seeing their oil revenues fall, its not just Saudi Arabia...who was the most successful of the bunch. I'm not sure its going to happen for a long time. But do expect the US to pick up some lost ground in the lull, maybe even decades out.

Last edited by Onn; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
I used Google Map's "calculate distance" feature and got ~ 3160 feet. I measured from the point of the building closest to the water and measured to an average point for the coast. (There are a lot of man made points along this stretch that jut out so I used what I would consider the point furthest inland.)
I was thinking that was pretty far away, but for some perspective, the top of the completed tower would have a few hundred feet submerged in water if it was laid down horizontally.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 9:00 PM

Salt and sand are among the design considerations for this area -- or should be.

In corrosive environments generally, the weakest link in building systems is usually not so much the broad expanses of cladding or larger exposed pieces, but little, forgotten sub-components that may be made out of regular steel and not be so corrosion-resistant.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenchiku desu View Post
Salt and sand are among the design considerations for this area -- or should be.

In corrosive environments generally, the weakest link in building systems is usually not so much the broad expanses of cladding or larger exposed pieces, but little, forgotten sub-components that may be made out of regular steel and not be so corrosion-resistant.
If Saudi is anything like UAE standards a minimum of S/S316 for any facade metal components/fasteners etc along with a 4 coat Duranar paint finish on the aluminum.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:40 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures!
I just made a March Update for the Kingdom Tower: I assure you the video wont be disappointing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV7F...GV5IYLRv0CeOrw

Most importantly, Enjoyy

I post monthly update on many supertalls...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:28 AM
earth cruiser

They have big expectations ...

source: www.swiftnewz.com/?p=18278

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronaa4 View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures!
I just made a March Update for the Kingdom Tower: I assure you the video wont be disappointing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV7F...GV5IYLRv0CeOrw

Most importantly, Enjoyy

I post monthly update on many supertalls...
Thanks for posting this video, that was awesome!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:39 PM

Certainly a most phenomenal building. Already imposing and just a tiny fraction of what it will be.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:44 PM

If the rendering is correct, there will be at least two more supertalls in the complex.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 9:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Overall scheme of the area for the future:

Credit: https://www.facebook.com/KingdomTowe...type=3&theater

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 10:00 PM

A few from the Kingdom Tower twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/kingdomtower3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction