HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:39 AM

Russia Plans World's Longest Tunnel, a Link to Alaska

Russia Plans World's Longest Tunnel, a Link to Alaska (Update4)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a0bsMii8oKXw

By Yuriy Humber and Bradley Cook

April 18 (Bloomberg) -- Russia plans to build the world's longest tunnel, a transport and pipeline link under the Bering Strait to Alaska, as part of a $65 billion project to supply the U.S. with oil, natural gas and electricity from Siberia.

The project, which Russia is coordinating with the U.S. and Canada, would take 10 to 15 years to complete, Viktor Razbegin, deputy head of industrial research at the Russian Economy Ministry, told reporters in Moscow today. State organizations and private companies in partnership would build and control the route, known as TKM-World Link, he said.

A 6,000-kilometer (3,700-mile) transport corridor from Siberia into the U.S. will feed into the tunnel, which at 64 miles will be more than twice as long as the underwater section of the Channel Tunnel between the U.K. and France, according to the plan. The tunnel would run in three sections to link the two islands in the Bering Strait between Russia and the U.S.

``This will be a business project, not a political one,'' Maxim Bystrov, deputy head of Russia's agency for special economic zones, said at the media briefing. Russian officials will formally present the plan to the U.S. and Canadian governments next week, Razbegin said.

The Bering Strait tunnel will cost $10 billion to $12 billion, and the rest of the investment will be spent on the entire transport corridor, the plan estimates.

``The project is a monster,'' Yevgeny Nadorshin, chief economist with Trust Investment Bank in Moscow, said in an interview. ``The Chinese are crying out for our commodities and willing to finance the transport links, and we're sending oil to Alaska.''

In Alaska, a supporter of the project is former Governor Walter Joseph Hickel, who plans to co-chair a conference on the subject in Moscow next week.

``Governor Hickel has long supported this concept, and he talks about it and writes about it,'' said Malcolm Roberts, a senior fellow at the Anchorage-based Institute of the North, a research policy group focused on Arctic issues. Hickel governed Alaska from 1966 to 1969 as a Republican and then from 1990 to 1994 as a member of the Independence Party.

Alaska's current officials, however, are preoccupied with other issues, including a plan to develop a pipeline to transport natural gas from the North Slope to the lower 48 U.S. states, Roberts said.

The U.S. government's Federal Railroad Administration isn't directly involved in talks about the link, agency spokesman Warren Flatau said today.

Finance Agencies

Tsar Nicholas II, Russia's last emperor, was the first Russian leader to approve a plan for a tunnel under the Bering Strait, in 1905, 38 years after his grandfather sold Alaska to America for $7.2 million. World War I ended the project.

The planned undersea tunnel would contain a high-speed railway, highway and pipelines, as well as power and fiber-optic cables, according to TKM-World Link. Investors in the so-called public-private partnership include OAO Russian Railways, national utility OAO Unified Energy System and pipeline operator OAO Transneft, according to a press release which was handed out at the media briefing and bore the companies' logos.

Russia and the U.S. may each eventually take 25 percent stakes, with private investors and international finance agencies as other shareholders, Razbegin said. ``The governments will act as guarantors for private money,'' he said.

The World Link will save North America and Far East Russia $20 billion a year on electricity costs, said Vasily Zubakin, deputy chief executive officer of OAO Hydro OGK, Unified Energy's hydropower unit and a potential investor.

Transport Electricity

``It's cheaper to transport electricity east, and with our unique tidal resources, the potential is real,'' Zubakin said. Hydro OGK plans by 2020 to build the Tugurskaya and Pendzhinskaya tidal plants, each with capacity of as much as 10 gigawatts, in the Okhotsk Sea, close to Sakhalin Island.

The project envisions building high-voltage power lines with a capacity of up to 15 gigawatts to supply the new rail links and also export to North America.

Russian Railways is working on the rail route from Pravaya Lena, south of Yakutsk in the Sakha republic, to Uelen on the Bering Strait, a 3,500 kilometer stretch. The link could carry commodities from eastern Siberia and Sakha to North American export markets, said Artur Alexeyev, Sakha's vice president.

The two regions hold most of Russia's metal and mineral reserves ``and yet only 1.5 percent of it is developed due to lack of infrastructure and tough conditions,'' Alexeyev said.

Cluster Projects

Rail links in Russia and the U.S., where an almost 2,000- kilometer stretch from Angora to Fort Nelson in Canada would continue the route, would cost up to $15 billion, Razbegin said. With cargo traffic of as much as 100 million tons annually expected on the World Link, the investments in the rail section could be repaid in 20 years, he said.

``The transit link is that string on which all our industrial cluster projects could hang,'' Zubakin said.

Japan, China and Korea have expressed interest in the project, with Japanese companies offering to burrow the tunnel under the Bering Strait for $60 million a kilometer, half the price set down in the project, Razbegin said.

``This will certainly help to develop Siberia and the Far East, but better port infrastructure would do that too and not cost $65 billion,'' Trust's Nadorshin said. ``For all we know, the U.S. doesn't want to make Alaska a transport hub.''

The figures for the project come from a preliminary feasibility study. A full study could be funded from Russia's investment fund, set aside for large infrastructure projects, Bystrov said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Yuriy Humber in Moscow at yhumber@bloomberg.net ; Bradley Cook in Moscow at bcook7@bloomberg.net .

Last Updated: April 18, 2007 16:38 EDT

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:01 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

interesting....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:04 AM

Awesome!!!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:22 AM

the world is never going to run out of oil...as the price keeps rising it makes so many crazy oil sources/ways of getting oil fesable.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:39 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

I know there lots of oil interests involved in this project but I am fascinated by it because its going to include high speed rail and a highway. This means one could conceivably take a train (or drive!) to Europe from the United States. Imagine being able to take a train from Chicago all the way to Alaska, through the Bering Strait tunnel and then through Siberia, Moscow, Eastern and Western Europe and then through the English Channel tunnel and end up in London!!!! That would be one hell of a long route to get there but it would also be some trip!

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:49 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
I know there lots of oil interests involved in this project but I am fascinated by it because its going to include high speed rail and a highway. This means one could conceivably take a train (or drive!) to Europe from the United States. Imagine being able to take a train from Chicago all the way to Alaska, through the Bering Strait tunnel and then through Siberia, Moscow, Eastern and Western Europe and then through the English Channel tunnel and end up in London!!!! That would be one hell of a long route to get there but it would also be some trip!
Patagonia-Highland or Horn-Good Hope, sir?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:43 AM
Dérive-r

Would probably increase Russian tourism quite a bit. Living in BC, I might just have to consider taking a road trip to Russia sometime...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:05 AM
Posh

I hope I'm wrong, but if this gets built, I'll eat my hat.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 8:24 AM
Registirred User

Sounds cool and all, but once the tunnel pops up in Alaska, does this mean we're suddenly getting free highspeed rail, a highway, pipeline, etc etc? If so... mkay, cool, I guess.

btw, you wear a hat, 007?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:01 PM
Puyo!

Wow, that would be amazing, just imagine drive to Southeast Asia, China, Middle East, Korea, Europe, Russia, many different countries at the east. Now I wonder why we never really drive to South America through the Central America?

But I know if we connect the tunnel from Alaska to Russia, we will be more attracted to drive there instead of drive to South America...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:16 PM
Puyo!

I found good website show pictures of the projects!

http://www.gr8st8.com/main_pages/bering_tunnel.htm

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
Now I wonder why we never really drive to South America through the Central America?
The reason that I've never driven to Buenos Aires is the same reason that I'd never drive to Russia. Why would I drive 7,500 miles when I could just fly for 1/100th the time and far less money. We have boats and planes that make something like this needless. I can see a pipeline maybe, but a road or train connection is a pipe dream, and wouldn't ever be used even if it were built.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:32 PM

How would one keep roads and train tracks across Alaska or Siberia open and clear of snow and ice? Why would you spend tens of billions on a road that was open one month a year?

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:38 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

It won't happen mark my words. Plus who the hell would drive that? We states people don't even drive to Alaska as-is, let alone drive there and enter the worlds longest tunnel only to end up in the middle of buck snort nowhere again. All for the same price as an airline ticket? Forget about it.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:57 PM

The article didn't say passenger travel would be the main use. It is more for freight and energy transport.

It honestly doesn't seem far-fetched considering the tunnel would only need to be a little more than twice as long as the Channel Tunnel. I had forgotten how narrow the Bering Strait is.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

I might be alone in saying this but it kind of sounds like a Trojan Horse. I mean , I'm not so sure we should get so squishy [i.e. dependent] on Russia, they still aren't what you would consider our best buddies. I don't listen to or subscribe to ultra-conservative media, but even I am a little suspicious of Putin and closely watching Russian government activity is still in the best interest of the US.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 7:06 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

If it gets built, it will be a boon for Edmonton... and Yakutsk/Aldan/Anadyr.

Last edited by Xelebes; Apr 20, 2007 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 9:09 PM

This sounds really exciting! I would drive to Moscow from Edmonton for a vaction if I could.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
This sounds really exciting! I would drive to Moscow from Edmonton for a vaction if I could.
Really? Why would you? Why would anyone drive over 10,000 miles through artic nothing to get to Russia. I won't even drive to Phoenix and its only a 10-hour drive from me. The reason: Its much cheaper, easier and faster to simply fly.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 10:28 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Maybe driving wouldnt be very practical but what about a high speed train ride? I imagine the only people that would drive would be alaskans and siberians going to and fro. It will boost the economy of Alaska and that part of siberia for sure. A train ride might be expensive but there is something to be said for a journey that stays on the ground for the whole time. If you are travelling to the orient from the United States it might be somewhat practical, imagine taking a train from Chicago to Beijeng. The thing I said about London was sort of theoretical in that the roads and trains of the eastern and western hemispheres will be connected and one could in theory travel from Chicago to London via train, not that many would or that it would be practical.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering