HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 7:18 AM

Cool Steel in high rise buildings in China

Has anyone seen any research of the use of steel in China's high rise blocks? I am interestered in the use of different types of steel - rebar/debar, structurals, mesh, flat products?

I am aware that China uses a lot of steel in its tall buildings, but has anyone seen any comments on how much per square metre or cubic metre in different building types - apartments, offices, hotels etc (I don't know the normal standard for measuring these things)?

I should add, maybe that, I write about steel, and so have some sort of professional interest in the subject.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:43 PM
Senior Slacker

While China does have its own building design codes, I can only assume that it is not fundamentally different from the generally accepted design practices for structural steel elsewhere in the world. Also, at least early-on, many of China's new skyscrapers were designed by American firms. I would suggest that they would use their details where ever possible.

Skyscrapers (in the US and elsewhere) can be made to use no more than 30 to 50 lbs of structural steel for each square-foot of floor area. If a building has 1 msf, then expect 15,000 to 25,000 tons of steel. For the current US market, $3,000 to $5,000 per ton is not unreasonable (supply, fabricate, deliver, and possibly erected).

Here's a question for you - what is "debar"?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 9:58 AM

Debar

Debar is the same as rebar, namely reinforcing bar for use in concrete.

Chinese rebar standards are lower (eg in terms of tensile strength) than those in the West, and hence its buildings require much more steel.

Do your US figures limit themselves to structurals? Or do they include mesh, reinforcing bar, coil for decking etc etc

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 3:29 PM
Senior Slacker

Oh I get it Debar = Deformed Bar (I had never seen that one before!)

The 30 - 50 #/ft2 is for a structural steel framed building only but does include all beams, girders, braces, columns, girts, purlins, deck, etc. It would not include rebar or mesh in the composite slab.

I used to have some figures for rates of use in concrete in typical highrises, but as you might expect there is more variation in this method of construction. Depending on the type of structure being cast, you could have anything from 25 kg/m3 to 250 kg/m3. This range is obviously too wide to be useful.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 3:32 PM
Senior Slacker

I'm curious how the Chinese steel could be inferior - any steel is good for fy = 300 MPa these days which is not much different that what we spec in North America (i.e. fy=350 MPa for rolled W's, fy=300 for plates, channels, angles). A typical rebar grade here is fy = 400 MPa (again you would be hard pressed to find any supplier who would deliver anything less...).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering