The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGGLEWORTH View Post
^^^There will come a time when new york will be engulfed in a gorgeous mass of skyscrapers. More so than now. It will resemble coruscant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No it won't. Zoning doesn't even allow tall buildings in many parts of the city.

For example, they're crying about a six story building not too far from this place: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ommunity-input

How can you be engulf in towers if you can't even build 6 stories? Do you guys even think before blurting out these exaggerated proclamations?

That's right. It will only seem as if it is. But New York is a large city. And no longer will it only be in Manhattan where the tall towers dwell.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:06 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's right. It will only seem as if it is. But New York is a large city. And no longer will it only be in Manhattan where the tall towers dwell.
There's also the fact that zoning can change. I doubt that I'll ever see supretalls sprouting up in all places of NYC during my lifetime, but who knows what the future holds down the road. Maybe by 2075 NYC will resemble Corcsucant

Right now though, I'm happy top see Brooklyn get a supertall, and maybe some more in the future.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
There's also the fact that zoning can change. I doubt that I'll ever see supretalls sprouting up in all places of NYC during my lifetime, but who knows what the future holds down the road. Maybe by 2075 NYC will resemble Corcsucant

Right now though, I'm happy top see Brooklyn get a supertall, and maybe some more in the future.

Well, as we are currently seeing, there are taller buildiings being built in neighborhoods that haven't seen them (a 30-story building is pretty tall in neighborhoods that don't have skyscrapers). One of the things De Blasio insisted in his push to allow developers to build more housing is people will have to accept taller buildings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post

Coruscant is a good (and commonly used) example for how NYC's future skyline silhouette might turn out but a better (and slightly more realistic) example would be NYC from the Fifth Element. One of the things I admired about their vision of 23rd century NYC was that the overall character and vibe of the city remained intact.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

In terms of taller buildings, they will most likely follow major transit routes. Places like LIC and DoBro along with Journal Square/Newport in JC are well connected. LIC is a start, and I suspect that everything in the proxies (which is happening now) and along the major train lines (+1 mile away from the major route path; perpendicular) heading Northeast, Southeast, and just East will see greater height.

Places like Flushing will also see higher developments. I'd expect densification to lower away from major subway lines / elevated rail and include a general increase in height (where talking 6-10 floors) then the average low rise . mid-rise scattered, but not concentrated like we see in LIC where we are seeing a huge difference going from 5-6 stories to 40+ for many projects.

Unless of course certain neighborhoods that are mostly residential (and far from transit in certain queens/Brooklyn neighborhoods) allow for commercial rezoning, then maybe we can see some nice mixed used, but developers are keen on making sure they are close to transit.

If given the right data on permits issued and the average floor/height, you could probably use ArcGIS to analyze differences between lets say 2000, 2010, and 2020 (being the projected value). You'll most likely see that they follow transit lines, with density gradient tapering off as you head perpendicular from it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 4:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Just imagine this baby rising up in the distance...

Meteorry

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 7:58 PM

So psyched about this one. Finally good high rise architecture in BK. I'll be able to see this out my window for sure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 5:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Another teaser to take in...

semitone

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 9:09 PM

Nice NYguy looking forward to this great pics. I am also looking forward to seeing this from distances like where I am in Belle Harbor, and other places it will seem to dominate well in terms of distance, a tower this height not being in Manhattan.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 10:29 PM
Mr. Technology

QUEENSNYMAN, I know you will provide us with the most up-to-date photos as this remarkable development rises into the Brooklyn sky!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 9:12 PM

Last edited by Cynicism; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

IDK if you live in NYC, but it seems like you complain too much about the place. If so, I can recommend Mississippi or Arkansas. They might be more to your liking. Less crowds, trees, less tourists, less traffic, and people who share the same cynicism that you do. You could spend your days bashing NYC because meeting people from those states, from experience, they all seem to dislike cities.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 1:05 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

This beauty is actually way closer to the Manhattan DT/MD Cluster than Williams Tower is to Houston's DT.
I may be wrong in part one of my assumption here; but Houston's DT and satellite skylines are strictly a matter of the zoning laws in their books; whereas the area that runs a basically visual near-continuum from DT Brooklyn to LIC/Astoria shows how the concept of "cities within a city" can be best executed.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
Then again, I would be more concerned with subways that will not be able to explosive growth. If anything, is this is sustainable in the long run with century old infrastructure? I mean we're talking about a 100 year old system that has not changed much in the entire city.

Being packed like sardines on my Q train every morning? No thanks.
First of all, that site has an F/G train entrance right in front of it. Second, NYC having the best and most extensive mass transit system in the country is the best city to absorb and take in more people. If NYC decides to block out growth, those people would end up in other places like the suburbs or other towns and cities less capable to absorb people. (BTW, the dynamics doesn't exactly work out that way because newcomers with more money than the natives would displace the less affluent natives, who would then have to move elsewhere. This however is another topic altogether). The result? More suburban sprawl, more roads, more cars, more pollution, more greenhouse gases, etc. How is that good for anybody?

Better to funnel growth to dense cities like NYC that have the highest mass transit use.

Furthermore, the subways just like the roads, are really only crowded during rush hour and in the case of Brooklyn, only as you get closer to Manhattan. The further you are from Manhattan, the crowds thin out. You can't expect to live in any large city, let alone the largest in the country and one of the largest in the world, to be completely free of crowds. Very few cities don't have traffic congestion. Some have it even worse than NY.

Last edited by antinimby; Nov 17, 2015 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Yes indeed, Brooklyn is booming, as you can see in this photo SHoP provides. Let's hope they provide is with more views of their upcoming supertall soon...

https://twitter.com/shoparchitects

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015...-205-montague/

How Six Controversial Proposed Skyscrapers Will Radically Transform Brooklyn’s Skyline

by Barbara Eldredge
11/11/15

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 20, 2015 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 7:47 PM

Congratulations to Brooklyn, they are getting a gem.

This should have been the look of the Nordstroms Tower. I LOVE the crown. ShOP knows New York.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 9:45 PM

Yes this tower will truly dominate the Brooklyn Skyline and will be seen for miles around especially from the southern parts of Brooklyn and the Rockaways in Queens. I am hoping this baby goes beyond 1,000 feet but if its 1,000 I will truly like as well so many other's in skyscraper land I am sure of that. You can be sure I will have my camera ready for this one to rise.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 1:53 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
Yes this tower will truly dominate the Brooklyn Skyline and will be seen for miles around especially from the southern parts of Brooklyn and the Rockaways in Queens. I am hoping this baby goes beyond 1,000 feet but if its 1,000 I will truly like as well so many other's in skyscraper land I am sure of that. You can be sure I will have my camera ready for this one to rise.
Agreed!!

I seriously can't imagine anyone not wanting taller.
The selection of towers planned is awesome!!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 4:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
I am hoping this baby goes beyond 1,000 feet but if its 1,000 I will truly like as well so many other's in skyscraper land I am sure of that.
It'll be taller than 1,000 ft, we just don't have exact figures yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
This should have been the look of the Nordstroms Tower. I LOVE the crown. ShOP knows New York.
Yes, SHoP certainly knows New York. May they have many more projects in the city (despite being almost everywhere already). I especially look forward to their Hudson Yards tower.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:06 AM
aka Studdedleather

I remember about a year or 2 ago we were talking about Brooklyn gaining a signature tower. That time is here.

I'm just so happy that SHoP is designing it and THIS will be our beauty. I really want it to be as tall as the ESB at 1,454. I believe they have the air rights for that height (right?) so set a new standard for BK! Or at least give us this iconic structure.

The crown is what makes me love this building, over everything else. No deal if they cut that off. We need that crown. I don't care for a LED top. If they need to put LED for whatever reason put it underneath the crown like the rendering lol.

Just want this all to become official with funding, more renderings, approvals and construction!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture