Decent stuff.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 8:20 PM
BANNED

hmmm... towers...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 4:28 AM
BANNED

In today's Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ding-recycling

The recently completed Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland, California makes beautiful use of glass, fly ash concrete, and certified wood, but is most notable for its stunning use of natural light:

Cellophane House is a five-story, prefabricated dwelling. Thin photovoltaic panels integrated into the walls of the house can produce enough electricity to run the building entirely off the grid:

Dubai’s construction boom continues amid the world financial crisis. The Jumeira Gardens development is intended to establish it as a global city of the future. Although the controversial project will cost approximately $95bn (£55bn), the designers have emphasised its sustainable credentials:

Le Project Triangle, designed by Herzog and de Meuron, will rise 200 metres from the Porte de Versailles in Paris. The skyscraper's orientation will be optimised to take advantage of both solar and wind power:

Lifepods are constructed using the most advanced 21st-century technologies. Inspired by roaming mammals, the futuristic prefabs are designed as "quadrupedal fuselages" with footings that can adjust to the contours of their environs, rather than disfiguring the landscape to fit to the house:

The Generali tower, due for completion in 2012, will incorporate an unprecedented level of environmental systems and features, representing the culmination of a modernisation campaign to make Paris's La Defénse district one of the most ecological business centres in Europe:

Jeremey Edmiston of System Architects and Douglas Gauthier of Gauthier Architect have developed a prefab construction of over a 1,000 pieces, laser cut in such a way as to minimise wasted material, then flat-packed and shipped to the site:

The Redondo beach house is constructed with a combination of prefabricated shipping containers and traditional buildings materials. The prefabricated nature of the containers allows 70% of construction to occur off site, greatly reducing construction waste:

Currently due for construction in Singapore, the EDITT Tower, sponsored by the National University of Singapore, will boast photovoltaic panels, natural ventilation, and a biogas generation plant all wrapped within an insulating living wall that covers half of its surface area:

/\ this one's by far my favourite; the irregularity & green walls make it look like a moss-covered outcrop

Solaleya’s dome homes feature a 90% wood construction and are insulated with cork. The roofs feature sky-facing windows which suffuse interior spaces with light. An optional feature is a small mechanical structure in the base that allows the domes to rotate:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 4:36 AM

The church looks well done. Not sure about the podium, though.

There's too much going on with the living wall tower. Not bad

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
Solaleya’s dome homes feature a 90% wood construction and are insulated with cork. The roofs feature sky-facing windows which suffuse interior spaces with light. An optional feature is a small mechanical structure in the base that allows the domes to rotate:

Isn't this the same basic geodesic dome home they've been building since the 70s? What am I missing?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Isn't this the same basic geodesic dome home they've been building since the 70s? What am I missing?
It's actually a step back; this is not a geodesic dome.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:54 PM
if I sang out of tune

Jiefang Avenue Business Center, Wuhan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:58 PM
if I sang out of tune

the Lloyd's Building by Richard Rogers, an oil refinery-esque piece of architecture for The City. Its inside-out, with all the elevators, service ducts and vents on the outside, and every screw itself individually designed:

the exterior elevators and stairwells

The inside is just as industrial

but also surprising

all in all not bad for a building designed in the 1970s

If ever you go to London you HAVE to visit this place at night:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:41 AM

These two towers are epic. My jaw dropped when I saw the second one.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:23 AM
Desert Dweller

The Lloyd's Building is just so cool, I gotta see it in person.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 5:00 AM
BANNED

I love the Lloyds building.

Am I the only person in here who thinks 80% of the funky shaped "progressive" buildings in here are going to look like crap and be lambasted for poor design in 20 years?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 5:01 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

^Yes^

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 7:25 AM

^^I feel like a lot of these designs are just curvilinear derivatives of standard office towers that seem to use an awful lot of land relative to their usable area. Rather than experiment with how much one can torque and distort the shape until it reaches the limit of functionality, why not create something functionally maximal that engages its environment in a beneficial way? It's impossible to judge the functionality of a lot of these designs from just an exterior render, of course, but the furthest I get when trying to delineate the design aspects of some of these is "curvy and weird." And that's not because I'm an idiot (although I will admit that I have very limited formal training in architectural criticism). The Lloyd's building is certainly a breathtaking piece of architectural beauty, borne out of creative thinking about the functional aspects of the design. But as for the majority of the rest of the designs on this page, it suffices to say that their designs will not outlast the tastes that brought them about, at least for me.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:22 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilex View Post
These two towers are epic. My jaw dropped when I saw the second one.
Thats just a drop in what China's building at the moment, check out pages 17 and 18

Basically in 2005 Beijing had the equivalent of 3 Manhattans under construction, whilst Shanghai routinely builds more highrises than all the office space in NYC combined, every year. Both cities are struggling to house almost a million newcomers a year (Chongqing even more), as the worlds largest movement of humans in history plays out - 400 million people switching from rural to urban. Out of all that dross, there are some outstanding projects

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...145254&page=17
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...145254&page=18

Last edited by muppet; Oct 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Am I the only person in here who thinks 80% of the funky shaped "progressive" buildings in here are going to look like crap and be lambasted for poor design in 20 years?
No, you're not the only one. Of course, that opinion is expected from me, but even I can appreciate the occasional jot of quality contextual modernism that understands good urbanism. This stuff, though...yeesh.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Jiefang Avenue Business Center, Wuhan

...no offense, but all this chinese stuff you always post is just a bunch of boring and tired iterations of the same thing... there is really nothing there more than generic glass skyscrapers. all these vertical glass forms that are all struggling for their own unique expression of height are so exhausted. and while some of the projects in the east are really great, this eastern style of urbanism is something that i don't understand.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Schemata Architecture Office
Tokyo_Japan
63.02° House

032 63.02°
completion // 12_2007
total area // 24.58m2
floor space // 71.40m2
63.02°, built in a densely residential area in Nakano, Tokyo, is a small building of a SOHO and an apartment for rent. The front road is really narrow, but the next apartment has a big open space between the road and the building. In order to this situation, the facade of 63.02° is inclined 63.02 degrees toward the front road, so that a wide and deep view is acquired. From the large windows that are opened on the inclined facade, you can see neighbor's cherry tree and the cityscape.

Project Website

Last edited by Tom Servo; Oct 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture