HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:03 AM

Is 335 the site in between park terrace and edgewater or the site acorss the street next to arterra?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:53 PM

335 is next to Edgewater, along the water's edge.

I can't really see what's going on on the other side of the street very well, as my travels keep me on the south side of the channel.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 8:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Mark at SF New Developments reports that 235 Berry is sold out. This is good news, not only for Mission Bay projects, but the other Rincon Hill proposals as well. The current mortgage and real estate issues don't necessarily mean there's no market for new residential in this part of SF.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 11:16 PM
BANNED

^^^The "stimulus bill" in Congress is supposed to push "conforming" mortgages (mortgages Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac can buy) over $700K in CA. With 20% down, you'll be looking at almost $900K that can be bought with a conforming mortgage which, I'm told, is no problem to get even now for those willing to document income. People will need a down payment and some copies of recent tax returns, though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, February 8, 2008
Giants lead in fight for premier port site
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

The San Francisco Giants and as many as four other contenders are putting final touches on preliminary development proposals for Seawall Lot 337, the port-owned 13.6-acre parking lot across from AT&T Park.

Other developers bidding on the job include Kenwood Investments, Federal Development and Build Inc. Apartment builder Archstone Smith has also attended pre-development meetings at the port and indicated that they may jump in to the proposal.

The proposal deadline is Feb. 14.

Thus far the development teams have been quiet, with the exception of the Giants, who have partnered with Baltimore-based Cordish, a firm that has carved out a niche for creating downtown mixed-use districts around sporting and entertainment venues.

While the concept is in the early stages, the Giants-Cordish proposal will likely include a 4,000- or 5,000-seat theater, which could provide a home for Cirque Du Soleil, which currently sets up its tents on the site every other year. While the package may include housing, its biggest inspiration is Chicago's 25-acre, $500 million Millennium Park, said Larry Baer, chief operating officer for the Giants. Millennium Park has a skating rink, a theater for music and dance, and the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, a band shell designed by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry with 4,000 fixed seats plus lawn seating for 7,000.

"There are museums, music venues, tastefully done retail and a lot of open space," said Baer. "That is the kind of sensibility we want to bring to it."

At the northeast corner of Mission Bay, Seawall Lot 337 is among San Francisco's most valuable developable sites, and is a central part of the port's plan to generate income desperately needed to repair its crumbling piers. The Port of San Francisco has $1.2 billion in capital needs, but only $400 million of this is funded, according to its 10-year capital plan. The port has had remarkably little success in developing property in recent years, as attempts to redevelop Piers 30-32 and Piers 27-31 have been stymied by political opposition and high construction costs.

But the port is hoping Seawall Lot 337 will be a different story. Working with neighborhood groups and State Sen. Carol Migden, the legislature in October passed Senate Bill 815, which gave the port more control over waterfront development on four so-called "seawall" parcels, the biggest of which is 337.

Under the seawall lot plan, a developer would sign a 75-year ground lease, with annual payments for the property likely to start at as high as $15 million.

Port planner Diane Oshima said development proposals will be presented to the Port Commission on Feb. 26, and a major public workshop will follow on Saturday, March 1.

Final proposals will be handed in in June, and a developer will be selected in August or early September.

Baer said the Giants' plan would be a "balanced project" that will have "some attractions the neighborhood doesn't currently have."

"Whether its a permanent Cirque show or something else, there is going to be a concept like Cirque Du Soleil," he said.

A number of developers that looked at the project dropped out after learning that the Giants would be teaming up with Cordish and Farallon Capital Management to make a bid. Farallon also owns the lot across the street, Mission Bay's Parcel 1, which is zoned for a hotel. Industry sources said the team has been talking to a number of hotel developers about building a hotel as part of the Seawall Lot 337 development.

"A lot of people figured the Giants have a lock on it, so it wasn't worth the effort," said one architect who looked at the property with a client.

Build Inc., which is now developing the 140-unit Esprit Park, is partnering with Dan Murphy, a principal with Urban Green Development. Build Principal Lou Vasquez said his group was still "playing with site plans and running pro formas to make the site best work to our advantage." He said the plan would include both housing and some commercial uses, and that they are looking at putting artists lofts and galleries in Pier 47. He said any Build proposal would "consider the Giants parking needs."

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:05 PM

Great! Hope, if they go with the Giants plan, that it's as succesful as Millenium Park seems to be with Chicago. Be nice to get crowds coming further south on the waterfront for something more than the a game.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 6:41 AM
BANNED

^^^Millenium Park (Chicago): the supposed inspiration

The site:

Source (both): www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 8:24 AM

I like the Millennium Park comparison, but how is that going to generate anywhere near $15 million/year for a 75-year lease on the site? They're going to have to jam that space chock full of stuff in order to afford that.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 8:30 AM
BANNED

^^^One wag suggested they build a giant parking lot (more or less as now) and put the "park" over top of it and dub the whole thing "City Park South" after a certain other proposal on Mission St. If they did that, they might be able to get the $15 million from parking fees.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
If they did that, they might be able to get the $15 million from parking fees.
If they charge them $100/game. 2000 cars * $100 * 81 games = $16.2 million.

I know...there would be other sources of revenue, both parking and other, but still...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Thank you for the info on OCEANIC. Shame to see a ship with such classic lines left to decay -- far better looking than the modern shoebox on a hull cruise ships.
And the Oceanic/Independence has left the building.

Quote:
Last U.S. ocean liner heads into the unknown

The historic ocean liner Independence, the last liner built in the United States to sail under the American flag, was towed out of its berth on the San Francisco waterfront Friday headed for an unknown future...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:07 PM

we now have a rendering of the Giant's proposal:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BAQAV1NNV.DTL

Looks pretty nice.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I agree. It looks a lot better than I imagined just reading the descriptions. I'm surprised they didn't include a packed house at the stadium in their rendering.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:50 PM

^^Hehe yeah, with someone hitting a home run into the water...

I'm glad there's a 300' tower in this proposal. I've always thought that Mission Bay always needed a taller building (or hopefully a few of em). It's a little far south, but it would also be nice to help offset the drop off in the skyline that's created with One Rincon Hill and the Bay Bridge.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Where be the parking garage (which we all know is the Giants real concern)? The article says there is one in there somewhere but I don't see anything that would hold the same number of cars as that huge lot does now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Where be the parking garage (which we all know is the Giants real concern)? The article says there is one in there somewhere but I don't see anything that would hold the same number of cars as that huge lot does now.
The parking garage is the big square building at the south end of the complex. it is a bit confusing since they made the top floor "green", but in reality that big green roofed building is the parking. if you look at the side you can see the ramps.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 10:04 PM

Reminds me more of the plan for the Broadway/Navy complex in San Diego http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseac...ex#DevProposal(roughly the same shape and acreage), rather than Millenium Park in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
The parking garage is the big square building at the south end of the complex. it is a bit confusing since they made the top floor "green", but in reality that big green roofed building is the parking. if you look at the side you can see the ramps.
That looks like it might be a regulation-sized soccer field on the roof, doesn't it?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Another of the proposals, this one from Build, Inc.:

Quote:
This is a sketch of Build Inc.'s proposal [for Seawall lot 337] - essentially an open porous mixed use project of Green Tech office (the round building), 900 for sale homes, 700 for lease homes (mix of affordable, affordable by design (unsubsidized), mid level, and high level), extensive artist studio/ gallery space, flower mart, contemporary arts exhibition space, approx. 7 acres of outdoor open space, sustainable energy/utility towers/gardens, (including geothermal, wind, solar, fuel cell, etc).
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Now THAT's cool (could they just cover the round thingy with neon like the NASDAQ sign on Times Square?)!

Last edited by BTinSF; Feb 19, 2008 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 6:55 AM
Green Berniecrat

I have to admit, both of these proposals are pretty nice. Some tweaks can be made here and there to make them more attractive, but for preliminary renderings, I like what I see. Cant wait to see the other 2 proposals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development