HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the905sDW View Post
So one thing I have been wondering when designing these concepts is what direction do I make the most interesting sode of a building face? The mountain or the lake? East or west? Or do you make all sides equally interesting? With Toronto its sort of a no brainer to make the cool side face the lake if it's downtown and tall. With Hamilton, from the QEW Skyway you dont really see downtown. From the 403 to Main west way into the city, you see downtown from that way. I think hamilton's best view is from the mountain.
I think it is best to make all sides equally interesting with an extra bit of detail on the sides that meet the road or have the main entrance. Think of the new Homewood Suites, all of the sides are pretty similar except above the main entrance off of George Street there is a lot more glass to make that part stand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
if this can become a recommendations thread, I was thinking today of the dire need for a marquee building between the Pigott and CIBC buildings. Would be a real challenge to bridge those two designs...Maybe this could be a design competition between meisthomas and the905sdw...
Challenge accepted If the905sdw wants to I am definitely in.

Are there any rules?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 8:59 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
if this can become a recommendations thread, I was thinking today of the dire need for a marquee building between the Pigott and CIBC buildings. Would be a real challenge to bridge those two designs...Maybe this could be a design competition between meisthomas and the905sdw...
Well Durandy, I'm always up for a challenge! It's one of the sites I want to soon tackle. These take time, so in between work and when I have free time at the computer I'll take some stabs at that site. MeIsThomas inspired me to work on the site ay Bay and King beside the Art gallery. I'll post updates of my renders and then move on once done that site.

I hope others reading this who have design skills to take some stabs at it too and post renderings of realistic "I could invasion that in hamilton" type buildings and developments. Who knows, maybe Stinson will take note?!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 9:08 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
I think it is best to make all sides equally interesting with an extra bit of detail on the sides that meet the road or have the main entrance. Think of the new Homewood Suites, all of the sides are pretty similar except above the main entrance off of George Street there is a lot more glass to make that part stand out.

Challenge accepted If the905sdw wants to I am definitely in.

Are there any rules?
True. I'll keep that in mind when designing. I'm totally up for this challenge! Rules? I think we've already made our own rules! I'd say let's just keep it as realistic as a dream as possible. Nothing like that Spire design Stinson came up with for the Connaught!!!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
True. I'll keep that in mind when designing. I'm totally up for this challenge! Rules? I think we've already made our own rules! I'd say let's just keep it as realistic as a dream as possible. Nothing like that Spire design Stinson came up with for the Connaught!!!
K, cool

I've already been working on a building for the site for a while now. I am probably just going to keep posting updates so everyone can see how my design changes and evolves into the final product. Here is a sneak peak at what I have so far (colours/textures aren't final):

Looking north on James Street...

Source: My Photo

The top of the side that faces James Street...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 9:53 PM

My proposal from the last page very roughly edited into the empty lot:

The leaning tower of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 9:59 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
My proposal from the last page very roughly edited into the empty lot:
The leaning tower of Hamilton
lol! Thats looking really cool! Its interesting! Lot just a typical box - I like that.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 1:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

Knock the building that's along Victoria and you'll have a larger footprint for a taller building.

For a prominate location it needs a rounded corner instead if a square corner.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 2:13 AM

^I think that's a good scale for King and Wellington. A skyscraper would get lost in that spot and I think it's important that anything built there relates well both to the street and to the neighbouring buildings.

One thing I noticed about the proposal for King and Bay is that it's very inward-facing; it would be nice if it interacted more with the street. That's not a criticism of you, Thomas, it's just an observation based on the original plans.

Some great ideas. I wish I could throw something together but my sketching skills are limited to Paint.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 4:48 AM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^I think that's a good scale for King and Wellington. A skyscraper would get lost in that spot and I think it's important that anything built there relates well both to the street and to the neighbouring buildings.

One thing I noticed about the proposal for King and Bay is that it's very inward-facing; it would be nice if it interacted more with the street. That's not a criticism of you, Thomas, it's just an observation based on the original plans.

Some great ideas. I wish I could throw something together but my sketching skills are limited to Paint.
Today I spent some time deciding what style of building to build at King and Bay. I still think we need interest and uniqueness in the sky. It's another good lot for some height I think. I'm very inspired by NYC's new WTC 3 Building. I'm taking some of it's exoskeleton features and style and adding it to this one.
Thinking a hotel would be a good choice for that lot as well. This one is going to be mostly glass - something that Hamilton really doesn't have aside from CIBC.

I'll post some quick renders tomorrow.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Today I spent some time deciding what style of building to build at King and Bay. I still think we need interest and uniqueness in the sky. It's another good lot for some height I think. I'm very inspired by NYC's new WTC 3 Building. I'm taking some of it's exoskeleton features and style and adding it to this one.
Thinking a hotel would be a good choice for that lot as well. This one is going to be mostly glass - something that Hamilton really doesn't have aside from CIBC.

I'll post some quick renders tomorrow.
I was doing the same with my building for in between the Pigott Building and Commerce Place,

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post

I noticed that too, it almost seems like a mini Jackson Square. I am hoping that the when the official plans are released the ground floor commercial faces the street and not inwards like Jackson Square. I am working on making my rendering better and I am going to add street facing commercial to the ground floor.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 12:33 PM

Waterfront

If I had the resources, I would concentrate on the West Harbour. I would use Halifax/Dartmouth example.
Their Mohawk (NSCC) is on the waterfront directly across from downtown. They have a vibrant boardwalk. With shops and bike rentals.
I would put City Hall down there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 3:52 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
If I had the resources, I would concentrate on the West Harbour. I would use Halifax/Dartmouth example.
Their Mohawk (NSCC) is on the waterfront directly across from downtown. They have a vibrant boardwalk. With shops and bike rentals.
I would put City Hall down there.
That's an area that really needs some thought and attention for sure. Its deserving of. Makeover and some development. Its one if the areas us like to come up with some ketches. I'mgoing to make an aerial map of the city that has empty lots and areas up for our design competition. I'll post it later today.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 4:03 PM
Dustin William

Herr are 3 sites I want yo tackle first. High density lots.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 6:59 PM

I've been working on my design for the King and Bay Condos. I still have to add a lot more and the materials used might change, but here is what I have so far:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:35 AM
Dustin William

Westin hamilton

Thomas, I like the condo renderings! I went with a hotel / residence theme. I chose a Westin branded hotel. Building is inspired by WTC 3 in NYC and the new Telus Building downtown Toronto. here is a rough rendering in place on Google Street View.

dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:39 AM

WOW! love it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 2:15 AM
Dustin William

Quote:
WOW! love it.
Thanks! the building looks better on its own. Its destroyed quite abit to fit the angle of the street view. I'll post individual renders tomorrow. I almost need to go out and take my own photos to Photoshop out cars poles and trees.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 3:41 AM

Last edited by thomax; Mar 25, 2013 at 3:55 AM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice. If McMaster didn't buy the School Board land Darko was going to buy the land and erect two Hotels, one was going to be a Westin. So you aren't that far off lol.

Westin is part of Starwood Hotels, which also includes Sheraton.

I do like the tower, looks great. One thing missing is an observation deck, Landmark was suppose to have one. Imagine the view, see Toronto, the mist from Niagara Falls, the Escarpment, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion