HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:23 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Man I miss Triscuits.

Little St. Aubin cheese on there...
Triscuits and cream cheese is an alpha snack. I miss them too.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:46 AM
recession proof

I miss freshly-baked buttermilk biscuits with sausage and gravy. A good cracker: https://www.schaer.com/en-ca/product...nment-crackers

Cookies are something you bake: oatmeal with dates are my favourite. Biscuits come in a box - great with tea. Peak Freans used to be good - I once met a baker who worked at the Christie's cookie factory in South Etobicoke who said the taste changed when they went to egg powder instead of real eggs to cut costs.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 6:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

My friend and I were walking near the bridge over Rideau River in Chapman Mills yesterday. We overheard a dad tell his son, "C'est pas pour ça que j'ui allé."
Later, I was telling my friend, "I've never heard someone say je suis like that. I've heard chui, but never something like that."

Context: The little boy was playing with the snow as his dad and sister (around his age) were walking.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
My friend and I were walking near the bridge over Rideau River in Chapman Mills yesterday. We overheard a dad tell his son, "C'est pas pour ça que j'ui allé."
Later, I was telling my friend, "I've never heard someone say je suis like that. I've heard chui, but never something like that."

Context: The little boy was playing with the snow as his dad and sister (around his age) were walking.
It seems to me that there’s not much room between what one might hear as “j’ui” and what one might hear as “chui”.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:28 AM

Yeah they are pretty close. I have definitely heard what sounds like "j'ui" from some people here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:10 AM

Has anybody touched on First Nations' accents when they speak English.
It's interesting as it seems like a lot times they talk "uphill", or seem to ask a question when making a statement. Is it the same when they speak French I wonder?..Makes me wish I learned some Cree to try to understand why their enunciations come out differently.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It seems to me that there’s not much room between what one might hear as “j’ui” and what one might hear as “chui”.
That is correct.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Has anybody touched on First Nations' accents when they speak English.
It's interesting as it seems like a lot times they talk "uphill", or seem to ask a question when making a statement. Is it the same when they speak French I wonder?..Makes me wish I learned some Cree to try to understand why their enunciations come out differently.
Unless anyone here is FN themselves, it would be very un-2021 for us to comment on Indigenous speech or accents in anything more than an extremely cautious, superficial way.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unless anyone here is FN themselves, it would be very un-2021 for us to comment on Indigenous speech or accents in anything more than an extremely cautious, superficial way.
It's not like Razor was making a value judgment... it's just an observation about an accent.

Anyway, to his point, I know what Razor is getting at. There is a certain "uphill", as he puts it... but I'm not familiar with Indigenous languages so I can't guess where that comes from.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's not like Razor was making a value judgment... it's just an observation about an accent.

Anyway, to his point, I know what Razor is getting at. There is a certain "uphill", as he puts it... but I'm not familiar with Indigenous languages so I can't guess where that comes from.
Oh, I wasn't being critical of Razor at all.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I think esquire summed up my intent..Nothing nefarious at all. No PC required in my observation.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think esquire summed up my intent..Nothing nefarious at all. No PC required in my observation.
Even so. Be careful out there! Friendly advice. Because it's 2021.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:52 PM

Hadn't actually thought about that, but ya, there is that upward inflection when I hear it on TV sometimes.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Even so. Be careful out there! Friendly advice. Because it's 2021.
Well 2020 and it's evil twin sister 2021 can take a hike! (no offense to identical twins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Hadn't actually thought about that, but ya, there is that upward inflection when I hear it on TV sometimes.
Yes, and this inflection seems to be shared across the board.

I just thought I would bring this up, because this is the speech pattern and variation across Canada after all. I just find indigenous peoples' accent unique and interesting.
That uphill inflection regardless of the band..Maybe someone on here can provide some insight on the language?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:25 AM

I have no problem discussing it and I know what Razor is referring to. While not all Indigenous people have accents different from the majority around them, many in North America who do have accents have similarities. It's sort of like how English in Africa can sound fairly similar among many of the countries there. But it is not exactly the same. Cree people from my region have some unique things.

Living in Timmins we hear both Indigenous and French-Canadian accents quite often. The Indigenous ones are Mushkegowuk Cree from up North in isolated First Nations. Those in Moosonee and Moose Factory (Moose Cree) don't have nearly as much of an accent compared to Mushkegowuk (Attawapiskat, Kashechewan, Peawanuck, etc.) but more of a speech pattern difference as almost everyone there has English as a first language. Interestingly, I have friends in Moosonee, born and raised there, who are white they speak exactly like the Moose Cree people up there, same speech pattern, and it really throws people off when they travel to non-Indigenous places. Some people down South think that they are immigrants!

I'll admit that I have and most people here imitate the regional Cree and French-Canadian accents. Not always appropriate but often because many of our regional sayings originate from those cultures.

I suggest watching YouTube videos to get an idea of the accents.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:33 PM

Yes..It's not gutteral like saay a German person speaking English..It's it's own thing, and even great Plains FN peoples seem to share this same inflection on the English language as Northern Cree which is interesting..Maybe it's the hard consonants that are in their native tongues that contribute to this inflection?..Less vowels maybe?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Yes..It's not gutteral like saay a German person speaking English..It's it's own thing, and even great Plains FN peoples seem to share this same inflection on the English language as Northern Cree which is interesting..Maybe it's the hard consonants that are in their native tongues that contribute to this inflection?..Less vowels maybe?
Probably has to do with their languages being related and having many similarities in many cases.

Someone on here earlier asked about speaking with Indigenous people in French. I have actually had the opportunity to do so a number of times in Quebec with Innu and Algonquin people who only spoke French or Innu and French.

The ones who who from reserves where only French was spoken and not isolated didn't really much of an accent, just speech variation. (e.g. Essapit First Nation) But the ones from isolated Innu reserves (e.g. Nutashkuan FN) sounded almost identical to how a James Bay Cree person would speak English.

Two Algonquin First Nations I've been to are Abitibiwinni (AKA Pikogan) just outside Amos and Lac-Simon outside Val-d'Or. I spoke in French when at both of those reserves and found the people had different speech patterns but not really accent differences from the typical way a francophone Quebecer speaks.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Probably has to do with their languages being related and having many similarities in many cases.

Someone on here earlier asked about speaking with Indigenous people in French. I have actually had the opportunity to do so a number of times in Quebec with Innu and Algonquin people who only spoke French or Innu and French.

The ones who who from reserves where only French was spoken and not isolated didn't really much of an accent, just speech variation. (e.g. Essapit First Nation) But the ones from isolated Innu reserves (e.g. Nutashkuan FN) sounded almost identical to how a James Bay Cree person would speak English.

Two Algonquin First Nations I've been to are Abitibiwinni (AKA Pikogan) just outside Amos and Lac-Simon outside Val-d'Or. I spoke in French when at both of those reserves and found the people had different speech patterns but not really accent differences from the typical way a francophone Quebecer speaks.
Thanks for the insight

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 8:16 PM

I like trying to speak in various accents and I've fascinated by people who can nail so many. This guy can do a lot, but also gets scientific about it. However, much of what he does for Canada I don't really get. And he admitted he couldn't actually do the east coast accent, but he gives it a try. Still sounds too Irish but I'd think he could eventually get it with more practice.

Start at 4:26.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 8:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've seen his other videos. His praise of Rami Malek in the Freddie Mercury biopic elevated my appreciation for it.

That same series does a bunch of different genres of this sort of video. There's one where they get a former CIA disguise expert to critique depictions in movies. Some of the stupidest movies have the most accurate ones lol

The accent he does is pretty close to the one in Renews, but he speaks far too slowly and says "border" in a way I've never heard here. Also, he doesn't drag the vowels out quite as long as people from down in that part of the province. For example, this crazy idiot on Open Line about vaccines:

Video Link

I don't know how it sounds to you guys, but to me, I can tell someone is from that part of the island because their vowels are to my ears 2-3x as long as they should be. "Cooooooooovid", "caaaaaaaaaaaaaaases", etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada