HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:37 PM

Nice Pics Jer....

thanks for doing that. i just hope the UT goes above the other surrounding buildings.

good luck with your dad and the window....

keep in touch....and keep posting!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:55 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
thanks for doing that. i just hope the UT goes above the other surrounding buildings.

good luck with your dad and the window....

keep in touch....and keep posting!
I tried to take some pics from the top of the market sq. parking garage, but couldn't get a good shot. They are on my cellphone and I let the cardreader at work. I'll post what I got tomorrow. Got a pretty cool shot of the church steeple

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:58 AM

12-Story Garage Open

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today cut the ribbon to officially dedicate the new 756-space South Street Parking Garage at 220 South Street in downtown. The garage is slated to begin operating in early November.

Reed said the new 12-story garage will help to alleviate parking congestion on nearby streets and provide space for additional business development and retention. The total cost of the project was $16,630,000.00. Reserved spaces are being leased for $165.00 per month and non-reserved spaces cost $120.00 per month. Hourly parking will also be available at standard daily rates ($3.00 to $18.00 depending upon length of stay). Nearly 300 spots are already reserved by area businesses.

“The South Street Parking Garage not only serves the needs of the current workforce in the downtown, but also provides opportunities for additional development and expansion of other nearby businesses,” said Mayor Reed.

Mayor Reed said that the garage is a double-helix, cast-in-place, post-tensioned concrete structure. Materials for the project included over 11,000 cubic yards of concrete, 1,000 tons of reinforcing steel, and 440,000 lineal feet of post-tensioning tendons. Approximately 250,000 man hours went into the completion of the project. The construction workforce included 25% minority participation.

The Mayor said construction on the garage took nearly 19 months. Pyramid Construction Services was construction manager for the project, with Timothy Haahs & Associates providing architectural and design services. Brinjac and Associates performed electrical and mechanical engineering services for the project.

Reed said the General Contractor for the project was Performance Construction Services, with subcontractors including Brayman Caissons, W.G. Tomko (plumbing), Triangle Fire Protection, Herre Bros. (HVAC), and Secco (electrical) also working on the site. Minority firms working on the project included Timothy Haahs and Associates, architect Stanley Womack, attorney Stanley Mitchell, Torain Construction Servics, Williams Capital Group, Roland and Roland Law Firm, The Swathmore Group (financial investment), Business Builders Worldwide, G.M. Farmer (electrical), CFI, Inc. (mechanical), and Jones Masonry.

Additional help on the project was provided by the women-owned businesses of First Capital Insulation, Ida Yeager Sales, Rohr Backhoe Services, Mechanical Insulation, Accu-Fire Fabrication, Industrial Piping Systems, Inc., and Eagle Steel Inc., said the Mayor.

Reed said the new garage will be open 24-hours per day, 7 days per week, for patrons with special access cards. It will additionally be open for short-term daily use from 7:00a.m. to 7:00p.m. on Monday through Friday. The garage will become available for night and weekend use when necessary.

“This new facility will alleviate a substantial demand for reserved parking in the downtown,” said the Mayor.

For more information on this or any of the Harrisburg Parking Authority’s parking garages, call (717) 255-3099 or visit www.harrisburgparking.org.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:04 PM
Man on a mission

There should be a awesome photo shot of the DT, capital and river from the top. I'll have to wonder over and snap a few . There is only one other building its height in thr area.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:43 PM

cool young gun

ill look forward to seeing whatever you can take and share.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:33 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

This is the type of retailer I think can start a retailing boom in downtown Harrisburg. When I lived in D.C .(Georgetown), Urban Outfitters was always busy in the evenings and weekends...I can see that or one of their other brand stores doing well from Wednesday to Saturday evenings as well as some daytime business the rest of the week.

Last updated: November 9, 2007 02:34am
Urban Sees Potential for 100 More Stores
By Robert Carr

PHILADELPHIA-Urban Outfitters Inc. registered positive results for the third quarter, increasing total revenues by 23% to $379.3 million, boosting earnings by 31% compared to Q3 2006 to $45.4 million and growing comparable store sales by 8% on average across its three brands of stores: Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie and Free People. While Urban Outfitters stores only increased comp stores slightly, the other two brand stores gained 17% and 18% in comp sales, respectively.

The company is on track with store openings as well, with 23 opened so far this fiscal year and another 15 to be opened by the end of December. A new division of the company, Free People, only has 13 stores, along with a website and a catalog, but company executives said during a conference call Thursday that they think the new offering can grow. “We expect 12-15 Free People stores next year,” said Glen Senk, CEO, during the call. “We were saying that we could be one day at 100 stores, but now based on the success on both coasts…I think the number’s probably much, much larger.”

There are a few other store initiatives in the works, Senk said. The firm is looking to launch its fourth concept, Terrain, next year, though the executives refused to provide any details. Also, Senk told analysts during the call that the company hopes to open its first Anthropologie store in Europe in 2010. “In fact, our real estate group is leaving to do the initial exploration next week,” he said during the call.

The company now has 117 Urban stores in the US, Canada and Europe. There are also 100 Anthropologie stores across the nation.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:43 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
I could totally see these types of attractions on Harrisburg's City Island - open year round.

I like.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post
This is the type of retailer I think can start a retailing boom in downtown Harrisburg. When I lived in D.C .(Georgetown), Urban Outfitters was always busy in the evenings and weekends...I can see that or one of their other brand stores doing well from Wednesday to Saturday evenings as well as some daytime business the rest of the week.

Last updated: November 9, 2007 02:34am
Urban Sees Potential for 100 More Stores
By Robert Carr

PHILADELPHIA-Urban Outfitters Inc. registered positive results for the third quarter, increasing total revenues by 23% to $379.3 million, boosting earnings by 31% compared to Q3 2006 to $45.4 million and growing comparable store sales by 8% on average across its three brands of stores: Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie and Free People. While Urban Outfitters stores only increased comp stores slightly, the other two brand stores gained 17% and 18% in comp sales, respectively.

The company is on track with store openings as well, with 23 opened so far this fiscal year and another 15 to be opened by the end of December. A new division of the company, Free People, only has 13 stores, along with a website and a catalog, but company executives said during a conference call Thursday that they think the new offering can grow. “We expect 12-15 Free People stores next year,” said Glen Senk, CEO, during the call. “We were saying that we could be one day at 100 stores, but now based on the success on both coasts…I think the number’s probably much, much larger.”

There are a few other store initiatives in the works, Senk said. The firm is looking to launch its fourth concept, Terrain, next year, though the executives refused to provide any details. Also, Senk told analysts during the call that the company hopes to open its first Anthropologie store in Europe in 2010. “In fact, our real estate group is leaving to do the initial exploration next week,” he said during the call.

The company now has 117 Urban stores in the US, Canada and Europe. There are also 100 Anthropologie stores across the nation.
We think alike. I totally agree....especially with the soon to be thousands of college students downtown every day.

I love urban outfitters and have even emailed them about opening a store in the city of Harrisburg.....I recommend you do the same!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 2:09 AM
Eurosceptic

In addition to Urban Outfitters... Downtown Harrisburg needs a huge destination chain restaurant like Cheesecake Factory

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:10 PM
Me?!?

I am REALLY disappointed to hear about B. Dalton's, and I have many fond memories of that store. DT HBG needs a really good bookstore, and Strawberry Square needs a shot in the arm for sure...a remodel and new stores...something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
In addition to Urban Outfitters... Downtown Harrisburg needs a huge destination chain restaurant like Cheesecake Factory
F*CK NO...anything but that dreaded place.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I am REALLY disappointed to hear about B. Dalton's, and I have many fond memories of that store. DT HBG needs a really good bookstore, and Strawberry Square needs a shot in the arm for sure...a remodel and new stores...something.

There is a sign that says it will be closed November 10th and 11th for construction, not sure what that means but I guess I'll find out Monday. Two days isn't long enough to do much though.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 2:14 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Corridor Two project? I've seen it on the map at the Amtrak station downtown, but I haven't really been able to find out much info otherwise. And is there some regional train system planned for Harrisburg-York as well?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:18 PM
Me?!?

As far as I know, the CorridorTWO project is waaaay down the road (if at all) and not much has been put into it yet. The only recent info I can find is here:

http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/p...220.xml&coll=1

LOL this article was right on the front page of the local section in our Sunday Inquirer today. No matter how many times I think about this, I still laugh hysterically! The Mayor REALLY goofed with this crap!

How the West was lost

Harrisburg mayor's dream goes up for auction.

By Mario F. Cattabiani
Inquirer Staff Writer

DALLAS - Piece by piece over years, the items were meticulously amassed using millions in public money - a Gatling gun (that still works), a Wells Fargo stagecoach (circa 1880, fully restored), the earliest known signature of Wyatt Earp (scrawled on a Missouri warrant at age 21).

Those and thousands of other artifacts were once destined for a planned city-owned museum commemorating the Wild West.

Not in Dodge City. Not in Tombstone. Not in Deadwood. Its home was to be Harrisburg - Pennsylvania's capital on the Susquehanna, not on the Mississippi.

That was before the city's finances tanked and the idea of a museum became the punch line of jokes.

At an auction in Dallas yesterday and today, more than 800 Harrisburg-owned artifacts from the nation's westward expansion will go to the highest bidders, with proceeds going to help Harrisburg pay down its debt.

The auction marks the beginning of the end of an ill-fated brainchild - many say boondoggle - of Stephen R. Reed, Harrisburg's longtime mayor, who in the last decade quietly cobbled together the artifacts during shopping trips across the West.

In all, Reed - the man who was so popular that he was dubbed "Mayor for Life" - spent about $7 million from a special-projects account of the Harrisburg Authority, the city's financing arm for infrastructure needs. Angry City Council members said they had no idea of plans for the museum or Reed's buying binges until the local paper broke the story in 2003.

His idea: Lure tourists and their disposable income by building the National Museum of the Old West, though the city is 1,000 miles from any point even remotely considered Western.

Harrisburg, he reasoned, was a gateway for the nation's Western expansion - a major supply point and river crossing for many who set out for gold, land and prosperity. "The West," he was fond of saying, "started here."

"History sells. History attracts tourists. Tourism is big bucks," Reed, a Democrat, said last week. "I still think it's a good idea."

Few others ever did. Critics point to the obvious problems: geography, secretiveness and money.

"If this was Arizona and we actually were in the West and a mayor wanted to spend millions secretly for a museum, it still would be wrong," said Jason Smith, a Harrisburg ad executive and a leading critic of the museum. "It's been a Shakespearean comedy and tragedy in one - a very long play which we are all very much ready to see end."

At the Hilton Anatole hotel yesterday, the auction opened with the sale of several hundred photographs - images of American Indian chiefs, cowboys, and desperados, some in coffins.

About two dozen collectors attended the auction, most from Western states, while hundreds of others phoned in bids or typed them in over the Internet.

One photo of Sitting Bull's war party fetched $12,000.

Within two hours, Rich Ryan of Cheyenne, Wyo., a dealer of Indian artifacts and 19th-century photography, had already won 30 items, paying more than $20,000.

"He obviously had an eye for good things," Ryan said of Reed's purchases. "This was a great collection. I might not see one like this again in my lifetime."

Today, the big-ticket items hit the auction block. They were neatly displayed in a 40,000-square-foot hotel exhibition hall for prospective buyers to inspect.

Six-shooters under glass. Saddles lined up. A chuck wagon parked next to a Conestoga wagon.

In an odd way, it was a glimpse of the museum Reed never got to build.

Rawhide Johnson, a consultant hired by the auctioneer, Heritage Auction Galleries, said Reed had shown vision in selecting the items. They mayor had a mix of everyday objects that depict life in the early West and high-end artifacts.

"He really covered it all, and that's what you need to tell a story, to have a good museum," said Johnson, of Cody, Wyo. "You can say what you want about the money he spent, but, gosh, he did a good job collecting."

For Reed, the museum debacle is perhaps the darkest moment in his otherwise successful 25-year run as mayor.

He is widely credited with turning around Harrisburg, where the once-dormant downtown is now a vibrant business center with an eclectic mix of new restaurants, hotels, and cultural attractions.

Last year, voters at worldmayor.com - a site promoting good government - selected Reed as the third-best city leader on the globe and the highest-ranking one in America.

But, fiscally, the last two years have not been good for the city of 47,000. Much of the fiscal woe is traced to a poorly running incinerator, operated by the authority that Reed tapped to buy the artifacts.

Reed has laid off police and sold the city's double-A minor-league baseball team, the Senators - a franchise Harrisburg bought in 1995 to prevent it from relocating.

Those problems have emboldened Reed critics like never before. And to them, the Old West museum was just what they needed to round up a posse to go after him.

"Steve Reed had his own fetishes and his own pet projects," City Councilwoman Linda Thompson said. "Some might call him crazy, but I will be nice and use the word eccentric. He figured he would be able to ram this down our throats."

Reed envisioned the museum as one of five for the city. Six years ago, Harrisburg opened the the National Civil War Museum, which struggles to attract visitors.

Unconvinced of the economic benefits and irritated they knew nothing of his Wild West plans, the City Council last year passed a resolution compelling Reed to sell the artifacts and help pay down the city's $14 million in debt.

"I kept telling him to sell your toys, sell your toys," Thompson said, recalling her pleas to Reed at meetings. "People are more important than artifacts. We can think of a whole lot of other things we could do with this money."

City streets are going unpaved, and the police force is driving old patrol cars, she added.

A gifted but long-winded orator who injects historical references into many of his speeches, Reed was first elected mayor in 1981. In the last five races he netted enough write-in votes to be on the Republican ticket, too.

Reed is a chain-smoking, 58-year-old bachelor with a pencil-thin, graying mustache and a short tolerance for anyone who questions his leadership. He is a workaholic and Harrisburg's biggest cheerleader. Even his critics give him that.

He delegates very few tasks. When a water main breaks or someone is shot, it's Reed who goes before the news cameras from the wet road or crime scene, many times before the sun rises.

Fred Clark, a former director of the city's downtown improvement district and longtime Reed friend and ally, said the outcry over the museum had created too high a hurdle for the mayor to continue with the project.

"He's a realist. This is what he had to do. It's not like he had five other options to maneuver to," said Clark, who describes the mayor as a cross between visionary Walt Disney and a football coach used to winning seasons.

"If you line up all the things he has done, it's been win, win, win, win, and he has had one losing season and it's like, 'We have to get rid of him now,' " Clark said. "How can you say that after all he has done?"

The snarling political climate probably won't improve for Reed anytime soon. In Tuesday's election, a Reed-backed slate of council candidates lost, ensuring the mayor more headaches from the city's legislative branch.

Reed, who had planned to attend the auction, abruptly canceled last week citing pressing city business.

What's up for bid is but a fraction of what Reed purchased. Thousands of other items - Buffalo Bill's megaphone, a coat owned by Doc Holliday, Annie Oakley's traveling case, a stuffed buffalo - are in Dallas awaiting springtime auctions or in Harrisburg warehouses being prepared to be shipped to Texas.

Selling them all at once would saturate the market, Reed said.

"There are only so many collectors and dealers, and once they have spent their money, all of a sudden you wind up getting pennies on the dollar," he added.

Whether Harrisburg will recoup its investment, or turn a profit, won't be known for some time. Items that don't sell this weekend will remain on eBay for two more weeks.

There's one item Reed jokingly said he shouldn't put on the block just yet - the 1883 Gatling gun, capable of firing 1,200 rounds a minute and expected to fetch more than $140,000 today.

Reed told the Harrisburg Patriot-News that perhaps he should keep it around City Hall awhile: He's up for reelection again in 2009.

To download the Western auction catalog, go to http://go.philly.com/west

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 5:10 PM

^LOL, I read that too. I was really at a loss for words about the whole "Wild West Museum" thing. I mean, honestly, what exactly do you say about something like that?

Oh, and I think it's awful that it will take until at least 2017 for Corridor Two. I really can't stand how slow train construction is in the US. They should really just be building it NOW. If Harrisburg ever wants to become an attractive region, it is desperately going to need viable rail transportation.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 3:16 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post

Rumor has it that the spot is being replaced by a chain resturant of some sorts. Everyone cross your fingers!!!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 3:17 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSkyX View Post
^LOL, I read that too. I was really at a loss for words about the whole "Wild West Museum" thing. I mean, honestly, what exactly do you say about something like that?

Oh, and I think it's awful that it will take until at least 2017 for Corridor Two. I really can't stand how slow train construction is in the US. They should really just be building it NOW. If Harrisburg ever wants to become an attractive region, it is desperately going to need viable rail transportation.
I can't wait till all of those artifacts are sold and the whole incident can be put behind us. A the very least it has generated a lot of free press for Harrisburg!!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:08 PM

Harrisburg Judicial Center Construction

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:09 PM

Hbg Skyline

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:10 PM

HU Tower Progress

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:12 PM

More HU Tower Progress Shots

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations