HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 12:55 AM

Great Canadian Expiration Dates

I realized I had butter in my fridge which I usually use for baking or making breakfast crepes . No idea whether its from 3 weeks or 6 months ago.

Stamping products with non-standardized encrypted expiration dates is misleading, dangerous, and should be illegal. Not to mention completely unnessesary and will lead to food waste.

Selection Non-salted butter 454g (Metro food store)
B2750-1 11:24 ... seriously wtf???

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:16 AM

I eat refrigerated butter without checking the expiration date all the time. If it doesn’t smell or look weird, it’s fine for me.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:30 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

The thing to realize is that these dates are almost never expiration dates, but rather "best before" dates chosen by food makers to continuously generate sales.

So forget about the dates and go with your eyes, nose and mouth, and a bit of common sense.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I eat refrigerated butter without checking the expiration date all the time. If it doesn’t smell or look weird, it’s fine for me.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
The thing to realize is that these dates are almost never expiration dates, but rather "best before" dates chosen by food makers to continuously generate sales.

So forget about the dates and go with your eyes, nose and mouth, and a bit of common sense.
Very true. But unfortunately i have a bad sense of smell when it comes to certain things like butter.

If butter turned an "off" colour or went mouldy when it went bad I would know right away

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Human beings had butter before they had best before or expiration dates!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 3:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

"Best before dates" are actually "liability protection dates." A handy little label to help you from not being sued.

"But Your Honour, it's not our fault, we told them not to eat it".................

The same rule exists for medications too. While it is true that medicines can lose potency with age, the "use by" dates are extremely cautious, and in most cases, the medicines can be used for months following the expirations dates, especially for over the counter stuff. I would be more cautious with prescription meds, especially if critical for disease management.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I realized I had butter in my fridge which I usually use for baking or making breakfast crepes . No idea whether its from 3 weeks or 6 months ago.

Stamping products with non-standardized encrypted expiration dates is misleading, dangerous, and should be illegal. Not to mention completely unnessesary and will lead to food waste.

Returns are labour intensive to handle. Stores don't want to deal with them so the best for, or sell before data is more driven by customer satisfaction than any thing else. If it goes bad it is likely to taste bad before it is bad for you. If it is moldy, tastes bad or had an odd colour you should toss it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 3:57 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post

That's probably a lot number, which you have to have for product recall purposes. It's telling them the date and time of the production run. The date might not be given to prevent it from being confused with a "best before" date, or possibly for competitive reasons.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:50 AM
I am a typical

There is no standard for best before dates, because the concept of "consume before this date" isn't scientifically valid; a huge variety of factors can go into spoiling food and most of it is safe after that date but sometimes (if you store it wrong) it can be spoiled before the date. It's the same for chemicals. My 82% isolpropyl has a "best before" date of April 2023, but unopened, it could last well into the late 2020s before enough of the alcohol molecules break down or seep into the plastic container. If I leave it opened too long today, though, it could become 72% isopropyl as the alcohol evaporates. Even the media we use for biological testing in food function long after their "best before" dates. The important part is the storage of the materials.

A lot of places use Julian dates for the year, that's where you count the days from 1 to 365. It turns a date like "20210115" into "21015", or "01521". If you have a coder that only fits so many digits (most are 8, 12, 16 or 20) that frees up a few digits to code other information like time of manufacture, facility of manufacture (if you have multiple plants), or even more complex like a system for encoding which batches of raw materials were used or which specific pieces of equipment were used. Those numbers would all reference paperwork that tracks all of that so that when you complain that your butter is off and bring it to us, we can ask "what is the code" and you say "B2750-1 11:24" and we know that it was made at plant B on day 275 (October 16th) in 2020 on line-1 at 11:24am and find all the paperwork to see what packaging material was used, where the milk came from, how much salt was added by whom and from which supplier, what was the HPC count, what was the yeast and mould result that batch/day/week in the product/air/equipment, etc.

Anyway this is just one of the many reasons why food costs so much. Testing costs the small business I work for thousands a year; larger companies spend that much daily to make sure food is safe. The big beverage manufacturers sit on massive warehouses that just have hourly samples of the products they made, sitting on a shelf, for at least 2 years (some do as much as 5) so that they can 1: reference it in the event of a complaint and 2: monitor how it breaks down over time.

Anyway, to loop around to the first post: I write the date I either bought or opened a product on most of my food. Best before dates refer only to an unopened product. If you've opened that butter, it's been exposed, and the oxygen in the atmosphere around it is going to start doing its thing. A jar of spaghetti sauce is good for two years, but once you've opened it and even a bit of oxygen has gotten in, it starts breaking down and the bacteria and mould spores (which are ever present and cannot be killed) will wake up and start eating it for you.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:50 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
Best before dates refer only to an unopened product. If you open it, you DIE!
Ominous.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:56 AM
The Vomit Bag.

What is the best before date for O'Toole?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:15 AM

I recall having a laugh at an orange juice with a best before date that was precise to the minute. (Obviously I deduced it doubles as a production time, but that wasn't specified, it just said it had to be used before that date/hour/minute.)

"It's fine! I still have four minutes left to finish drinking this. It's still good."
"Nah, you forgot to consider digestion time! It'll turn bad while in your stomach..."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:31 PM

My local liquidation store likes to make the distinction between 'best before' dates and 'expiration' dates.

As they point out, best before dates are merely a suggestion. So a jar of jam that has an expiry date of January 2021 could be good for months and months beyond that, if it hasn't been opened.

'Expiration' dates are hard and fast, but they only apply to certain items like baby food, medication, etc. If a can of baby formula expires January 2021, retailers can't sell it.

The liquidiation store says it sells stuff past its best before date for cheap, but they never sell expired products.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My local liquidation store likes to make the distinction between 'best before' dates and 'expiration' dates.
Technically "Best Before" simply means the product can be expected to change in some material way after that date (such as taste or texture). The change is not always worse; sometimes it's better aged but not worth the cost of warehousing so all product is the improved version.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada