HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

No renderings, no. Like many projects in Dieppe. its a mystery.........

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The UNIplex in Dieppe held their (virtual) grand opening today.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good photo of Evolution Place in Dieppe (off of Champlain St downtown)

photo from Retail Talk & Share

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And across the street from Evolution Place, here is the mini tower crane on site for the (still unnamed) mixed use five storey building currently under construction.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:28 PM

There is now 2 mini tower cranes out Amirault close together.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:00 PM

The lights are on at Promenade Neuf. Not going to complain, but if only it would be higher than it is wider. I wouldn't mind seeing the view out from that top floor corner living window.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 7:09 PM

They are tearing down the building at 346 Acadie today. Land has been for sale for a while but just recently sold.

This building:
https://goo.gl/maps/8ztYokRry9FaQ79t5

Pretty high profile spot, right across from City Hall. Good sized lot as well but I haven't heard or seen any plans for anything yet.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. That's a pretty big parcel of land right in the middle of downtown Dieppe. My spidey senses are tingling that something big may be in the offing.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 2:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting T&T headline on their Twitter feed:

Quote:
Developers seek variance to add extra storey to new apartment complex https://bddy.me/3aWzty4

The building looks unfamiliar to me. The address on the building however is "1260 Dieppe" (presumably Dieppe Blvd). A quick search of Google Maps places this just north of the Nathalie/Dieppe Blvd intersection. There is a vacant lot here. On the other side of this intersection is 49 Nathalie, already under construction, and on the opposite side of the Dieppe Blvd is the Elan apartment building which was built a few years ago.

So, is a third apartment building in the works for this developing cluster? Is the variance request for this building to be approved for six storeys rather than five? Enquiring minds would like to know..............

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 13, 2021 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was right. The full story is in the T&T today.

This building will be on the NE corner of the Nathalie/Dieppe Blvd intersection, across from 49 Nathalie and the Elan apartment building. And, yes, they are seeking a variance to allow the building to be six storeys rather than five. Current zoning for this parcel of land allows for five storey buildings.

The story is bigger than this though. The developers in fact plan to build four six storey apartment buildings on the east side of Dieppe Blvd between Nathalie and Guylaine, and a five storey building on Guylaine itself. As such, in terms of scale, this proposed project is is similar to the Twin Oaks development in Moncton's northwest end.

NIMBYism is rearing it's head however, with local residents putting forward the usual arguments (although curiously nobody has yet expressed concern for the welfare of the children). Dieppe PAC has received 12 letters so far objecting to the development. They will be reviewed at the upcoming PAC meeting later this month. It sounds as if the residents had no idea that existing zoning allowed for five storey buildings. I'm not sure how a single additional storey on each of these buildings would make that much difference in the impact on the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was right. The full story is in the T&T today.

This building will be on the NE corner of the Nathalie/Dieppe Blvd intersection, across from 49 Nathalie and the Elan apartment building. And, yes, they are seeking a variance to allow the building to be six storeys rather than five. Current zoning for this parcel of land allows for five storey buildings.

The story is bigger than this though. The developers in fact plan to build four six storey apartment buildings on the east side of Dieppe Blvd between Nathalie and Guylaine, and a five storey building on Guylaine itself. As such, in terms of scale, this proposed project is is similar to the Twin Oaks development in Moncton's northwest end.

NIMBYism is rearing it's head however, with local residents putting forward the usual arguments (although curiously nobody has yet expressed concern for the welfare of the children). Dieppe PAC has received 12 letters so far objecting to the development. They will be reviewed at the upcoming PAC meeting later this month. It sounds as if the residents had no idea that existing zoning allowed for five storey buildings. I'm not sure how a single additional storey on each of these buildings would make that much difference in the impact on the neighbourhood.
Mario Caissie of MACC Commercial Properties is cited as the developer on this project. He is one of the partners in Fusion Commercial Properties, the company that was formed to purchase the Higgins Block on Main Street. I still can't help thinking that they'd be better off converting that property to residential instead of more office space downtown. But what do I know!

I agree with MonctonRad that the addition of one more floor on the Dieppe Blvd. apartment building won't make much of a difference. Hopefully it will be approved for 6 stories.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 5:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This picture I took last fall on Nathalie shows the construction crane for 49 Nathalie, and it's relationship to the existing housing on the street. You can see the Elan Apartment building in the background, which is five storeys.

The wingspan of the crane is wider than the building under construction. In terms of height, the building will only be slightly taller than the Elan, and there is a planned green space between the development and the adjacent residential areas. I don't think there is a huge problem here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Dieppe PAC has received 12 letters so far objecting to the development. They will be reviewed at the upcoming PAC meeting later this month. It sounds as if the residents had no idea that existing zoning allowed for five storey buildings.

Im not sure what these people were expecting of Dieppe blvd., it was quite clearly planned to accommodate commercial and high-density mid-rise residential buildings on all the large lots flanking either side. I really doubt the city will stop this development from happening. Especially considering the Elan building already built right across the street.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:13 PM

There was an "apartments for rent" advertisement in todays Moncton newspaper for Horizon Place in Dieppe. It was a half page ad, and it was from Killam Properties. I had no idea, but obviously they have purchased the building from Sira Enterprises. Sira are currently building Emma Place on Mountain Road.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
There was an "apartments for rent" advertisement in todays Moncton newspaper for Horizon Place in Dieppe. It was a half page ad, and it was from Killam Properties. I had no idea, but obviously they have purchased the building from Sira Enterprises. Sira are currently building Emma Place on Mountain Road.
They bought it for like 50 million or something last year. It was a huge sale!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I missed that. They must have made Mr. Vautour an offer he couldn't refuse.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Yes, that's about right. And if I remember correctly, the construction cost estimate for the building cited in the construction permit was approximately $30M. So yes, seems like Killam really wanted that building.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a new website available to allow for public engagement regarding projects and planning issues in the city of Dieppe. The website is Dieppedialogue.ca

The website is pretty bare boned right now, but I think it is intended to be Dieppe's version of "lets chat Moncton", and may provide a bit of a window on the normally opaque planning process used in the city of Dieppe (at least concerning more public processes).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 27, 2021 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Codiac Plaza in Dieppe (on Paul Street) has been purchased by Ashford Properties. Is this just an addition to the portfolio, or does Ashford have other plans???

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:16 PM
I Rise Again

Perhaps another high rise with retail on the bottom floor that the current tenants could then move back into? (Just a thought.)....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces