HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:07 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
If the implication that some of the posters seem to have is that Boyd's is a canary in a coal mine, I couldn't disagree more. They are an odd duck in terms of retailers. I have lived in Philadelphia for nearly 30 years, and during that time have always either worked or lived in Center City, and I don't recall ever setting foot inside Boyd's. I can't think of a single friend who mentioned they shopped there either. Their parking lot is the biggest missed economic opportunity in Center City since DiBruno's Cheese shop finally opened an outpost on Chestnut Street. Lastly, with Center City's population of middle and upper class residents booming, retail will eventually follow. Having said that, of course, I wouldn't want an iconic retail establishment to close, even if I don't use it.
I have long wished for a very tall tower on that lot, perhaps a high-end hotel or mix of hotel and residences. If its tall enough then you can still get views of the park.

I do agree that CC is gaining affluent residences left and right, therefore the retail and other establishments will follow once we are out of the pandemic. A full Nordstrom or Bloomingdales type store would be a great addition since they are larger and cater to a larger crowd than Boyd's.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 10:12 PM

The wording is simple, but the prospect is exciting:

ZP-2020-009596
Jan 15, 2021
2527 N BROAD ST, Philadelphia, PA 19132-4014
2509 N BROAD STREET ASSOC

Change of use for an existing storage warehouse to a 94 unit apartment building.

Looks like the large, windowless warehouse directly to the south of the ex-Reading North Broad Station is about to be converted into 94 apartments!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I have long wished for a very tall tower on that lot, perhaps a high-end hotel or mix of hotel and residences. If its tall enough then you can still get views of the park.

I do agree that CC is gaining affluent residences left and right, therefore the retail and other establishments will follow once we are out of the pandemic. A full Nordstrom or Bloomingdales type store would be a great addition since they are larger and cater to a larger crowd than Boyd's.
Is there any word on a retail tenant for the upcoming mega project at 1911 Walnut? Something like that could definitely work there- especially, I'm afraid, with so much vacancy nearby (less competition).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

ZP-2020-009596
Jan 15, 2021

Change of use for an existing storage warehouse to a 94 unit apartment building.

Looks like the large, windowless warehouse directly to the south of the ex-Reading North Broad Station is about to be converted into 94 apartments!
Awesome, I love that building! There are so many abandoned beauties on Broad St, and that's caught my eye for years.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
A Christmas (Eve) Miracle? Painted Bride Facade Could Be Preserved After All

Current site:

Aerial:

Rendering:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...rals-preserved
I was so annoyed that that building would be demolished for a new squat apartment building but it would be incredible if they could save that facade as part of the new building.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
I was so annoyed that that building would be demolished for a new squat apartment building but it would be incredible if they could save that facade as part of the new building.
Unfortunately, of course, the local neighborhood group voted to not endorse the needed variances. The vote doesn't guarantee the ZBA will reject the variances, but they usually don't go against neighborhood votes unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 10:14 AM
Midrise

Quote:

ZP-2020-009596
Jan 15, 2021

Cool! That's the E. A. Wright Bank Note Company, which was officially added to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places last January. Here's the nomination by Oscar Beisert of the Keeping Society: https://www.phila.gov/media/20200115...nomination.pdf

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Unfortunately, of course, the local neighborhood group voted to not endorse the needed variances. The vote doesn't guarantee the ZBA will reject the variances, but they usually don't go against neighborhood votes unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I guess the community stubbornly prefers a shorter building that completely demolishes the existing beautiful tile facade. All to cut the building by a floor or two.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 1:26 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPassyunk1 View Post
Is there any word on a retail tenant for the upcoming mega project at 1911 Walnut? Something like that could definitely work there- especially, I'm afraid, with so much vacancy nearby (less competition).
Equinox Fitness Center (luxury gym chain) was the signed on tenant as of last year. I am assuming that will follow through. I would have much preferred to see a Bloomingdales, but I will take an Equinox.

Equinox usually locates near Soul Cycle and Barry's, both of which are nearby.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:

ZP-2020-009596
Jan 15, 2021

is this the long vacant 6 or 7 story building? Ive been thinking for a while this is ripe for residential.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:

ZP-2020-009596
Jan 15, 2021

Where do you find this info?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Equinox Fitness Center (luxury gym chain) was the signed on tenant as of last year. I am assuming that will follow through. I would have much preferred to see a Bloomingdales, but I will take an Equinox.

Equinox usually locates near Soul Cycle and Barry's, both of which are nearby.
I would've loved to have seen Bloomies in Philadelphia but it takes a lot of square footage for it to become a realty. And we do have a Bloomies outlet store in Liberty Place. A store which I'd love to see come to Philadelphia is Niketown.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I would've loved to have seen Bloomies in Philadelphia but it takes a lot of square footage for it to become a realty. And we do have a Bloomies outlet store in Liberty Place. A store which I'd love to see come to Philadelphia is Niketown.
There is a Nike store in the Fashion District.

Equnox is a very prestigious brand and not having one in Philly to this point is definitely notable.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
There is a Nike store in the Fashion District.

Equnox is a very prestigious brand and not having one in Philly to this point is definitely notable.
I realize there's a Nike Outlet store in the Fashion District. I was referring to Niketown, which sells sports apparel in addition to footwear. There's so many gyms nowadays in CC and Philadelphia. Niketown would be a boost if it were placed on Walnut St.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:01 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
I don't think the Bloomingdales Outlet in Liberty Place does that well (though even pre-COVID I don't think anywhere in Liberty Place does that great and I believe one of the major retailors will be leaving soon) so I'd be surprised to see them open a full store, even assuming they were able to find the right building for it. That said, the Macy's and Nordstrom Rack do great, so maybe that's more of an indictment of Liberty Place than anything else. (As an aside, I don't think it's quite large enough for a full-sized department store, but the Walgreens space at Broad and Chestnut would be a great location for something like a Saks off Fifth, IMO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah, it's a nice get for us (though somewhat overdue).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Where do you find this info?
It was on Eclipse.phila.gov. Interestingly, you won't find certain details (like the number of units) in the search by permit # or search by date. That info appeared only in the daily report view or whatever they call it. Ditto, atlas had the permit, but not the same details. FWIW, Eclipse is down for maintenenance until Tue morning.

"The eCLIPSE L&I and Streets system will be out of service for maintenance beginning 5:00PM Monday 01/18 through 7:30AM Tuesday 01/19. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I realize there's a Nike Outlet store in the Fashion District. I was referring to Niketown, which sells sports apparel in addition to footwear. There's so many gyms nowadays in CC and Philadelphia. Niketown would be a boost if it were placed on Walnut St.
Equnox isn’t just a “gym”, like Louis Vuitton isn’t just a “store.” Trust me.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:51 AM
lost philadelphian soul

here is a web page to see about the 94-Unit Adaptive Reuse Project Planned for Historic North Broad St. Building

http://www.rising.realestate/94-unit...d-st-building/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:57 AM
lost philadelphian soul

Permits Filed For A 10-Unit Structure At 2243 North Broad Street Near Temple University In North Philadelphia, Now if they would fill in the vacant lots at 2229 and 2215-13 this block on north broad street would be filled in. if the Uptown theater were able to redevelop the theater this block seems to becoming back to life.

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/12/perm...ladelphia.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development