HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 11:54 PM

Hi. it's seem like it's the question thread, so here i come.

I made a new building, then i'm painting it. I do the line everything. the window's fine et all. But inthe backof my building, when i want to put paint on a wall it do something like that :

EDIT : I made something i don't remember in my paint tool but now, when i change the color in my paint tool, the color of some wall is changing in consequence! i don,t want them to change but they're kind of link with the paint tool. how can i remove that?

Thank to help the noob i am

Last edited by doncarnage; Jan 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Now straight away type “*70” or any number you wish. And Voila! Look what you have!

Now here’s the beauty of using components.
Edit the façade and colour it in the way you want it. You’ll find that the whole building has been edited. Another good thing about this method is that if you made a mistake and copied it all over the tower you can easily fix it just by editing one component.
I also didn't get that part of tutorial. can someone explain to me how to edit one piece but all at the same time?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 9:16 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well the windows probably have double faces which like it sounds, there are 23 faces on top of each other. You'll have to delete some. I ddon't get what you mean about the colors though. Do you mean that you paint the walls, then when you edit the color, other walls change in other buildings?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 9:47 PM

yeah that exactly that about the color.

When i change the color somewhere, there many other wall or window on other building that change color.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarnage View Post
I also didn't get that part of tutorial. can someone explain to me how to edit one piece but all at the same time?
When you double click a component, everything except the component itself will turn to a beige faded color. So, when you edit the selected component all copies of that component will be edited at the same time. *Note* if the components are not identical copies of each other they will not be edited all at once.

hope that made sense, if not then i'll be glad to give more help

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:45 AM

I can't thank you enough treras!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:24 AM
nuttin

To solve that - right click the component and select 'make unique' from the drop down list.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:06 PM

Hi once again! (I bet your tired to answer me, it's one of the last time )

Well, how to you put background? look at the skyscraper100 topic and you see that he put cloud and light in the background. how you do that?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 8:04 PM

Well, you can actually make it in SU, you can render it in, Or you can photoshop it in.

Honestly, at your level, Id stay away from those right now, but you vmcan contact Mo if you wanna render.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 11:04 PM
nuttin

Yers they are done in Kerk but if i were doing unrendered i'd draw a vertical face that has a background painted on - turn it into component then position it in the background of your SU model

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarnage View Post
Hi once again! (I bet your tired to answer me, it's one of the last time )
Thats what this thread is for

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:21 AM

Tell me guys (and girls) how do you go about conceptualizing your models?

I usually start up sketchup and just go with it. I don't conceptualize at all save for what I do in my head.

I think my model quality could improve greatly if I conceptualized on paper beforehand. Anyone notice improved results by doing this?

What do the pro's (ie: anyone who has won a competition here) do?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:32 AM

I cannot answer this as all my stuff is uninspired crap that I move around and change slightly to look different. I try to hard sometimes, I think.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:42 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well, before the last summer I used to draw a whole bunch of skyscrapers. Some were my own designs,some were inspired by existing structures and some were inspired by nature. I filled 2 1/2 notebooks, each with 100 or so pages. And before that I drew them in loose leaf paper.

I probably have at least 300 different designs. Then when the period of, "I lost inspiration" comes, I just open to a new page, pick a design and use the entire page to draw a detailed version of my small sketch. I divide each page into top parts, top and bottom. Then draw small buildings there.

Sometimes things come randomly. The entries for the Hotel, and the In New York competitions were designs I pulled off my sketchbooks.

It does help a lot to draw things out. It's also good to look at existing structures and get inspired by them. Sometimes you get inspired by the most random things too! For example, a tree, a boat, a car, a lamp, a tool, etc, etc...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Well, before the last summer I used to draw a whole bunch of skyscrapers. Some were my own designs,some were inspired by existing structures and some were inspired by nature. I filled 2 1/2 notebooks, each with 100 or so pages. And before that I drew them in loose leaf paper.

I probably have at least 300 different designs. Then when the period of, "I lost inspiration" comes, I just open to a new page, pick a design and use the entire page to draw a detailed version of my small sketch. I divide each page into top parts, top and bottom. Then draw small buildings there.

Sometimes things come randomly. The entries for the Hotel, and the In New York competitions were designs I pulled off my sketchbooks.

It does help a lot to draw things out. It's also good to look at existing structures and get inspired by them. Sometimes you get inspired by the most random things too! For example, a tree, a boat, a car, a lamp, a tool, etc, etc...
Cool. I think I will go produce some sketches in mah new sketchbook then.

Hopefully I will have something good before this next competition. Writers block killed me last time.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:56 AM
nuttin

I just start doodling in SU and see what happens. My hotel tower came from a single faced shape that i was trying to make into a shade sail. I turned it vertically and saw a building.

It went from this..

To this...

Finally

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:04 AM

Cool stuff. I have started doing little sketches of buildings.

I am now having a problem with google sketchup when it comes to selecting large amounts of objects/geography. It immediately crashes when I do that.

Anyone else have this problem? It seems somewhat better after I restart my computer. My computer is pretty good, it hasn't given me problems with any other programs.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 5:40 AM
Ex Houstonian

I had to take everything pretty much off of my computer and store it in an external hard drive in order to have enough room on my computer to work well with large sketchup models otherwise sketchup would freeze on me. So, you probably will have to free up a bunch of room on your computer most likely.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 1:13 AM

I have a 100 gigabytes free. That should be enough but it still does it.

Do I have to re-install kerky to load up google sketchup 7?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:02 AM

Nope. just copy and paste the sukt2 file from the SU6 plugins folder to the SU7 plugins folder.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup