HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Grant Park 3 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 1:16 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

What color is GP3?

I hope the actual render of GP4 is damn close to the rendering. These towers are getting wierder and wierder as we go west. OMP and W are ok. GP3 is a bit much, especially when you have somthing as distictive as the sail shape not really doing anyhting but facing another wall. It'd be nice to see a boxier form to tie it back into S. Michigan. I'm afraid another loopy building might really begin to isolate this part of the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

it was a fun meeting last night. many NIMBY kooks and weirdos, but they didn't have any ammunition for this meeting because all that was on the table was the 10 story height increase for the 2 towers to 790'/73 floors & 900'/83 floors. once the NIMBYs in the room figured out that the project was already fully approved and that they were utterly powerless to stop this building outright, you could sense their frustration setting in when they tried to derail the meeting with any number of off-topic side issues. i love it when these selfish dingleberries lose, hahaha.

after the meeting, victor and i hung around and spoke with the architect for several minutes about the design of GP3. i learned that the maximum horizontal projection of the sail is ~15' and the maximum horizontal projection for the wave element is ~7'. there was also an excellent rendering of OMP, OMPW, GP3, and the ghost place-holder image for GP4, we talked a bit about what direction they might go with for GP4 and i asked if the heights of the setbacks were intentionally lined up with the heights of the other buildings in the south wall and the architect said that was one of the avenues they were exploring right now.

there were some really great images presented and i know victor got good pics of them, so he'll be posting them soon.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 5, 2007 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:13 PM

I would assume decking over those tracks is contingent upon Metra building a new yard for the Electric Line, and who knows how far away that is.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:32 PM

[QUOTE=Sir Isaac Newton;3093827]one who complained about large vacuums of winds in the area due to highrises and asked if they had done a "wind study", and an old lady who complained about birds dying from flying into skyscrapers.
QUOTE]

No NIMBY here but these are two legit concerns. As a full time pedestrian nothing is worse than wind tunnels. Especially in the winter. It is a big deterrent from walking at all.

And why do I love tall residential buildings in dense areas? Because its good to walk everywhere and its good for the planet as well. If the developer can use glass or other ways of hundreds of birds killing themselves during migration then so be it.

Anything with traffic and parking I can care less about.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:37 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^^NIMBY!!!!

I kid. But come on, this is the windy city!

Ok I'll shutup now.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:50 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
What color is GP3?

I hope the actual render of GP4 is damn close to the rendering. These towers are getting wierder and wierder as we go west. OMP and W are ok. GP3 is a bit much, especially when you have somthing as distictive as the sail shape not really doing anyhting but facing another wall. It'd be nice to see a boxier form to tie it back into S. Michigan. I'm afraid another loopy building might really begin to isolate this part of the skyline.
It's bluish, and I agree completely with your sentiments; its a little funkier than I personally would like any of these buildings to be. But OMP is turning out nice, and at least OMPW is inoffensive if uninspired. Frankly, I'd like to see something very much like Park Michigan as tower 4--sleek, simple, and stylish.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:16 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlatsGrobnik View Post
It's bluish, and I agree completely with your sentiments; its a little funkier than I personally would like any of these buildings to be. But OMP is turning out nice, and at least OMPW is inoffensive if uninspired. Frankly, I'd like to see something very much like Park Michigan as tower 4--sleek, simple, and stylish.
Since Park Michigan apprears to be the first major casualty of the boom, perhaps they can use that design and merely increase it 50 feet. Sould be realtively easy to do.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:32 PM

I would expect that GP4 would be a much nicer design than Park Michigan. My sense is that P/H see's that tower as their opportunity to deliver a masterpiece.

They've taken a lot of crap about their ho-hum design output, and the GP towers seem to be their reply to that critcism.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Since Park Michigan apprears to be the first major casualty of the boom, perhaps they can use that design and merely increase it 50 feet. Sould be realtively easy to do.
Maybe I missed something but I do not recall anything implying that

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 4:50 PM

[QUOTE=dvidler;3094359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
one who complained about large vacuums of winds in the area due to highrises and asked if they had done a "wind study", and an old lady who complained about birds dying from flying into skyscrapers.
QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
No NIMBY here but these are two legit concerns. As a full time pedestrian nothing is worse than wind tunnels. Especially in the winter. It is a big deterrent from walking at all.

And why do I love tall residential buildings in dense areas? Because its good to walk everywhere and its good for the planet as well. If the developer can use glass or other ways of hundreds of birds killing themselves during migration then so be it.

Anything with traffic and parking I can care less about.
I used to ride my bike over roosevelt every day over the past few summers on my way to work. I can tell you that almost every time i was climbing up the portion of roosevelt right after michigan, traveling east, I felt like i was already in a wind tunnell w/o any buildings.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 5:53 PM

[QUOTE=cubbbyblue;3094621]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler View Post
[B][I]

I used to ride my bike over roosevelt every day over the past few summers on my way to work. I can tell you that almost every time i was climbing up the portion of roosevelt right after michigan, traveling east, I felt like i was already in a wind tunnell w/o any buildings.
I agree. Its windy already and I feel if there were buildings there it would actually improve the situation. But if it were to make it worse....

So, I feel its not a out of the ballpark kind of question

Alright, said my peace. On to other subjects...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I would assume decking over those tracks is contingent upon Metra building a new yard for the Electric Line, and who knows how far away that is.
Metra and the city might be waiting for each other.

Also - is there any reason why the park can't be built ABOVE the tracks, like Riverside Park?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Also - is there any reason why the park can't be built ABOVE the tracks, like Riverside Park?
that will be the plan. They wouldn't get rid of the tracks

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:46 PM

Cool CHICAGO: Grant Park Tower 3 - 73 floors/790' + Grant Park Tower 4 - 83 floors/900'

I decided to form a new thread for the 2 Grant Park Towers. There's no need to cram all the information on these buildings into the One Museum Park thread.

Below are several photos of the renderings that I took last night.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:54 PM

Nice looking building.

Is there a diagram that shows the location of this building within the Central Station complex?

BANNED

Great job Victor, Nice update and nice to finally have a thread for these.

I really like this tower...it will be a great compliment to OMP.

Is the 800 ft tower or the 900' one?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 9:05 PM
Chicagotom SSC

On a conference call all afternoon and we already into page 2. Man, glad to have these two with their one thread. I particularly like the Western exposure of the GP3 rendering. Nice even more subtle curves than i noticed before. This will look great with Sky55 behind it.

Were there any renderings of the plan for in covering the Metra tracks?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 9:19 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

can someone please post a map (maybe google map?) of the location of all of these, thanks.

and someone please page STR.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 9:22 PM

One of the final shots from last night.

What the southern streetwall will hopefully look like once built out. Tower 4 has yet to be designed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive