This is a great win.
and smart. Best lot left in Center City

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I'm floored.
This is a great win.
and smart. Best lot left in Center City
It’s not a vacant lot per se- it will be an overbuild. There are still many lots in Center City that should be developed. The most prominent being the SE corner of Walnut/20th.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It’s not a vacant lot per se- it will be an overbuild. There are still many lots in Center City that should be developed. The most prominent being the SE corner of Walnut/20th.
Well, the *most* prominent would probably be the Disney hole, but 20th & Walnut is a significant one too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:58 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Well, the *most* prominent would probably be the Disney hole, but 20th & Walnut is a significant one too.
Still surprised the Disney hole has sat this long...Goldenberg is just sitting with it...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Still surprised the Disney hole has sat this long...Goldenberg is just sitting with it...
Honestly? Let them sit.

That corner deserves something > 600 ft. And if we have to wait 10 years to get it, it's fine by me.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Tax him into building something or selling.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Tax him into building something or selling.
how would one do that?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:33 AM
PHL

Dang they're wasting absolutely no time with this thing.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
how would one do that?

Never, ever doubt City Council's ability to come up with new and creative ways to use it's taxing authority.

How about this, tax the air rights on parking lots east of Broad St. between Race St. and Pine St. of more than 10K sq.ft. Or turn to a land based tax for that area as a trial basis. The City can't force him to build, but they can try to make continuing the status quo painful.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Never, ever doubt City Council's ability to come up with new and creative ways to use it's taxing authority.

How about this, tax the air rights on parking lots east of Broad St. between Race St. and Pine St. of more than 10K sq.ft. Or turn to a land based tax for that area as a trial basis. The City can't force him to build, but they can try to make continuing the status quo painful.
true enough that the city can be creative with its taxing abilities, but there are limits to what it can legally do. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that you can't target one person or entity for a novel tax like what you're proposing. maybe I'm naive but it would seem pretty transparent that they would be trying to use this power as a pre-emptive and punitive social engineering weapon.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
true enough that the city can be creative with its taxing abilities, but there are limits to what it can legally do. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that you can't target one person or entity for a novel tax like what you're proposing. maybe I'm naive but it would seem pretty transparent that they would be trying to use this power as a pre-emptive and punitive social engineering weapon.

What you're saying is true, but that is why the area I mentioned in my made up, dream on, 'law' was as large as it is. Spot zoning done through council passing a law is done this way quite often, I suppose for the reasons you mentioned. But, I don't claim to understand most of what comes out of council.

BTW, Harrisburg regularly passes laws and makes regulations that only apply to Class A cities. Philly is the only Class A city in the state. (I'm not such of the actual terms, but I've known two supervisors in different City departments who have told me the same thing, several years apart)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:02 AM

Quote:

I don't think you even need to be so transparent. Reworking the tax structure for parking lots in general is well overdue in Philly regardless. Bump up the tax rate for larger lots and lots in center city. I mean this is by far the largest parking lot in center city right? I mean I guess maybe some of the lots on the edges of China town? Regardless, I think you don't have to be nearly as geographically focused and you could still have a law that largely just applies to this lot if that's what you wanted.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:19 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I don't think you even need to be so transparent. Reworking the tax structure for parking lots in general is well overdue in Philly regardless. Bump up the tax rate for larger lots and lots in center city. I mean this is by far the largest parking lot in center city right? I mean I guess maybe some of the lots on the edges of China town? Regardless, I think you don't have to be nearly as geographically focused and you could still have a law that largely just applies to this lot if that's what you wanted.
https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20201122.html

The city’s hands are tied by Pennsylvania’s “uniformity clause,” which requires Philadelphia to tax all property owners equally, whether commercial or residential. If the clause could be waived, the city would have more options to change its tax structure, Philadelphia officials contend.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:23 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
BTW, Harrisburg regularly passes laws and makes regulations that only apply to Class A cities. Philly is the only Class A city in the state. (I'm not such of the actual terms, but I've known two supervisors in different City departments who have told me the same thing, several years apart)
This is true, and FWIW there's nothing nefarious about it, it's just that there's a lot of times it makes sense to do something Philly-specific in a bill. Pittsburgh and Scranton are each in classes of their own. This article explains it a bit: https://whyy.org/articles/explainer-...ies-clarified/ (Apparently, Pittsburgh and Scranton used to be in the same class, but Scranton wanted to differentiate themselves? I didn't know that part lol. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20201122.html

The city’s hands are tied by Pennsylvania’s “uniformity clause,” which requires Philadelphia to tax all property owners equally, whether commercial or residential. If the clause could be waived, the city would have more options to change its tax structure, Philadelphia officials contend.
This is also true, and is also why, among other things, we can't have a progressive income tax but instead have flat income taxes at both the state and city level.

Edit: Also, sorry to go off topic, and please no one turn this into a tax debate... lol...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:13 PM

^^^^^^^^^
Gee, you don't think talking about tax code as it applies to a parking lot at 8th & Market is directly related to an apartment proposal at 19th and Sansom?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:58 PM

A small update, they've officially combined the parcels:

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...0S%2019TH%20ST

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:58 AM
Philly Pholly

Different proposals in immediate area (red)
under construction (blue)
TIGHT!

Shown with 1810 Chestnut, 1826 Chestnut, 1620 Sansom, 115 19th. and 212 Chestnut.

Rittenhouse Square N

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 29, 2021 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 4:49 PM

New Permits Filed At 113-121 South 19th Street

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the consolidation of the five properties that make up the site of the 567-foot-tall, 49-story skyscraper proposed at 113-121 South 19th Street in Rittenhouse Square, Center City. The façades of most of the prewar buildings at the site will be incorporated into the future tower’s base.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/parc...nter-city.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Why are we still reposting Philly Yimby updates? Isn't this "update" the same consolidation that Mcgrath posted on November 30th?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:08 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Why are we still reposting Philly Yimby updates? Isn't this "update" the same consolidation that Mcgrath posted on November 30th?
Sheesh we've been having issues with Philly YIMBY.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals