HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:31 PM
User Registered

CBC article about ongoing projects in 2022

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...ects-1.6589328

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Sep 22, 2022 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
CBC article about ongoing projects in 2020

Seems that long lol

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:54 AM
User Registered

Interesting reddit discussion about speed limits in town often ignored

https://www.reddit.com/r/londonontar..._limit_around/

These stretches either need their limits raised, or go on road diets so people actually drive closer to the posted speed limit.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

why are some seemingly identical residential neighborhoods designated "Safe zones" wit 40 kmh speed limits, whereas others are not (50 kmh)? Are kids in some neighborhoods deemed more worthy of safeguards than others? Same thing with those awful traffic circles. Some have signage and zebra stripes, asking cars to yield to pedestrians, whereas others have nothing, and the cars NEVER yield.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -President Lyndon B. Johnson
“I think if they win, I should get all of the credit, and if they lose, I should not be blamed at all,” Trump told NewsNation.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 3:09 AM

Surprise surprise! They will be late once again. Given construction crews disappear after the first rain drop falls for the rest of the day you'd think one of the supervisors would have a cell phone with a live radar to see how much of a rain event was on the way before calling it a day. How many days were wasted that way this year? Even when the weather was sunny some of these sites had zero activity. Why?

Can't imagine how disappointed the local business owners and residents must be that so much time was lost.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ruction-season

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Surprise surprise! They will be late once again. Given construction crews disappear after the first rain drop falls for the rest of the day you'd think one of the supervisors would have a cell phone with a live radar to see how much of a rain event was on the way before calling it a day. How many days were wasted that way this year? Even when the weather was sunny some of these sites had zero activity. Why?

Can't imagine how disappointed the local business owners and residents must be that so much time was lost.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ruction-season
well we do have a shortage of trade workers so can’t blame the workers, we need the younger generation to step up and start wanting to join the trades. Money is there, just no interest in it I guess.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeguy01 View Post
well we do have a shortage of trade workers so can’t blame the workers, we need the younger generation to step up and start wanting to join the trades. Money is there, just no interest in it I guess.
As someone with a young adult son trying to get into the trades, it's not so easy. Companies cry about no staff but only want to hire experience. He couldn't even get hired on as a general labourer at 100 Kellogg and we have connections there, because they wanted experience. Nobody seems to want to help young people get started.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
As someone with a young adult son trying to get into the trades, it's not so easy. Companies cry about no staff but only want to hire experience. He couldn't even get hired on as a general labourer at 100 Kellogg and we have connections there, because they wanted experience. Nobody seems to want to help young people get started.
Not all do, as an iron worker that is 25 I work with guys that are 21, 23. There are a lot of jobs that offer apprenticeship programs, there are colleges that offer programs

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeguy01 View Post
Not all do, as an iron worker that is 25 I work with guys that are 21, 23. There are a lot of jobs that offer apprenticeship programs, there are colleges that offer programs
Yes, my son took the "Electrical Techniques" course at Fanshawe, and so far, other than 6 or 7 grand out the door, it's got him a whole lot of "We are after 2nd year apprentices or above". Even though the college claims that course is the equivalent of completing first year. I'm not going to slag on the trades alone though. Even my own employer is after AZ drivers, but not those newbies, we want them with some miles under their belts. So, businesses in all sectors want people but want someone else to break them in first.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 2:17 PM

In yet another example of City failure in planning the stretch of Robin Hill Rd north of Huron is being widened and repaved again after only a couple of years since the last rebuild. This ineptitude is costing taxpayers millions of dollars in extra work and impacting other work that should be done.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 3:05 PM

Speaking of Robins Hill Road, Thames Centre Deputy Mayor (And Mayoral candidate) Kelly Elliott posted a week or so ago about it. She has been asked a lot about the condition of the road, given that the London and Thames Centre boundary runs along it east of Rebecca Rd. She said that the city owns it all the way to Nissouri Rd and she talked with someone from the city while they were at a conference in Toronto a couple weeks back. She said the London official told her that fixing that road isn't on the city's radar for the foreseeable future. It is getting to be in pretty brutal shape, but I can also see the city saying something like "not our taxpayers using it to come to work".

As for the construction going on right now, it's more than just the stretch of Robins Hill north of Huron, it's also RH south of Huron down to about London Machinery that never was finished off. There was also some servicing for the new BE Power warehouse that was just built. They also redid Huron east to the cargo terminal and also redid Dakota Place, where a lot of construction is happening on the airport property. All these streets had only a base coat of asphalt for the last 10 or so years since they were built and were in pretty poor shape themselves, so it made sense to rip out the old rather than just putting a top coat on.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 5:57 PM

Funny enough, I saw her post last week and was going to update this thread, but I forgot lol.

That is really strange though. I believe I posted on this thread that back in June, I did contact the city about Robin's Hill Road, and they told me that it was to be reconstructed next year with "pad and overlay work", so it is strange that it is now supposedly off their radar. Maybe I will contact the city about it again. The road is in crappy condition, so it would suck to see the reconstruction delayed for who knows how long.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
CBC article about ongoing projects in 2022

In that article from Sept 21, the city estimated that traffic on Southdale west would flip to the north side of the road by the week of Oct 1. Looks like that will happen by the end of this week if not mid-week. They have the yellow line painted up to the entrance to the Bostwick Arena entrance and were working on the second coat of pavement to the west of that.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, my son took the "Electrical Techniques" course at Fanshawe, and so far, other than 6 or 7 grand out the door, it's got him a whole lot of "We are after 2nd year apprentices or above". Even though the college claims that course is the equivalent of completing first year. I'm not going to slag on the trades alone though. Even my own employer is after AZ drivers, but not those newbies, we want them with some miles under their belts. So, businesses in all sectors want people but want someone else to break them in first.
6 or 7 grand?? Jesus, the program has raised up that much? When I took it in 2013/2014, it was about 4 grand total (2 grand a semester).

Also never ended up getting an electrical apprentice. Went into the fire safety field instead and have been happy here ever since.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 8:58 PM

Dingman still closed, but I see they have put curbs in leading up to the 401 bridge. Maybe paving in the next week or so. At least they have nice weather. Probably get the bridge open in time to close the road for widening lol

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:10 PM

Smelled the sweet aroma of asphalt being laid on Dingman the last few days, finally. Perhaps this overpass will beat Costco lol. Of course, the city will likely be closing Dingman west of Wellington right around the time Costco is due to open in the spring anyway.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Smelled the sweet aroma of asphalt being laid on Dingman the last few days, finally. Perhaps this overpass will beat Costco lol. Of course, the city will likely be closing Dingman west of Wellington right around the time Costco is due to open in the spring anyway.
Looks like you may be right. I know this is an MTO project, but right now on the city's construction map, the road closure on Dingman is set to end on Nov 18. Hoping it's accurate! But damn, what a long long rebuild of that bridge lol.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
... on the city's construction map, the road closure on Dingman is set to end on Nov 18. Hoping it's accurate! ...
Spoke too soon. Road closure is now set to end on the 30th

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:17 PM

Southdale EB lanes are being paved west of Pine Valley this week. As of about 3pm, they had gone just past the arena. I imagine a few weeks left until that opens based on how long it took to move traffic over after they started paving the WB side a few months ago.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 2:18 PM

CTV story on new roundabout at Southdale and Colonel Talbot

https://london.ctvnews.ca/southdale-...bout-1.6166485

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure